Yet more random thoughts... put 'em here

Duck

Quack
Supporter
What the hell is the difference between a beltway, freeway, parkway and interstate anyway?:confused-96:
When you live in a country that has more than one road in it, you need to have names and stuff to avoid confusion.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I always wanted to know what a dang Pike was.
We don`t have them down here.
Old name for an improved goat trail... plenty of them in the eastern part of the country - they tend to run between 1800s population centers - like the "Baltimore Pike" that runs through Gettysburg, and was a line of advance for armies in 1863. Got this from the Nemo show: The "National Pike," for example, was one of many routes advertised to promote auto tourism in the early part of the last century. Road association promoted these routes, this one started in DC, and it eventually became US40 when the dirt segments were joined and paved. In the 1950s, we decided to imitate the Germans... President Ike was impressed by the autobahn. It got turned into what we call I70 these days.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Parkway = cars only in most cases. Low clearances too.

Freeway = controlled access, no tolls, paid for with the small amount of fuel taxes collected that don't get stolen by congressmen to build bicycle paths

Interstate = part of the network of freeways called the Eisenhower interstate system. They connect multiple states, except in Hawaii.

Beltway =part of the interstate system that simply loops around a metro area. Sometimes crossing state lines, sometimes not.

Tollway = parts of the interstate highway system that states have literally stolen from the people who funded its construction, sold to billionaires who put up toll booths.

Turnpike = Tollway

I forgot the other words you were confused about and it's on the previous page and I ain't going back to look.

Parkway = cars only in most cases. Low clearances too.

Freeway = controlled access, no tolls, paid for with the small amount of fuel taxes collected that don't get stolen by congressmen to build bicycle paths

Interstate = part of the network of freeways called the Eisenhower interstate system. They connect multiple states, except in Hawaii.

Beltway =part of the interstate system that simply loops around a metro area. Sometimes crossing state lines, sometimes not.

Tollway = parts of the interstate highway system that states have literally stolen from the people who funded its construction, sold to billionaires who put up toll booths.

Turnpike = Tollway

I forgot the other words you were confused about and it's on the previous page and I ain't going back to look.
Thank you. I will have to look at my atlas when I'm back at the truck.

I thought blue "interstate" roads were TRUCK friendly. However 295 around Washington must be a "parkway" or a "beltway" because trucks are PROHIBITED. I didn't think to check the front of the atlas because I assumed it was a "freeway"

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Thank you. I will have to look at my atlas when I'm back at the truck.

I thought blue "interstate" roads were TRUCK friendly. However 295 around Washington must be a "parkway" or a "beltway" because trucks are PROHIBITED. I didn't think to check the front of the atlas because I assumed it was a "freeway"
All interstates are supposed to be truck friendly. That's what they were built for.

295 around DC is restricted because they're paranoid about truck bombs. And a section of I-35E in St Paul, MN Is restricted because.... I don't know, they're just idiots I suppose. I think there's a crappy bridge they don't want to fix or something.

There are a few other spots like something in Massannecticut Island, somewhere up in that looney bin is a section or two of interstate we're not allowed on because the politicians squandered away the highway maintenance fund and its easier to ban trucks than to fix the infrastructure they've neglected in favor of building statues and pedestrian bridges.

GAnthony GAnthony lives up there.

GAnthony

Supporter
All interstates are supposed to be truck friendly. That's what they were built for.

295 around DC is restricted because they're paranoid about truck bombs. And a section of I-35E in St Paul, MN Is restricted because.... I don't know, they're just idiots I suppose. I think there's a crappy bridge they don't want to fix or something.

There are a few other spots like something in Massannecticut Island, somewhere up in that looney bin is a section or two of interstate we're not allowed on because the politicians squandered away the highway maintenance fund and its easier to ban trucks than to fix the infrastructure they've neglected in favor of building statues and pedestrian bridges.

when i get the time, like maybe never, i will check on the specifics of any truck bans on some of the highways up here.

as it is right now, i cannot think of any bans, with the exception of bans during blizzard like conditions.

Holy crap in a Walmart bag the roads in the NE are almost worse than Michigan and Indiana :mad:

WTF do these people do with road fixin' money anyway. I gotta go look the truck over see if anything fell off.

I thought interstate had standards it was to be kept up to? Like someone somewhere has a benchmark and can downgrade a road from interstate status? Or just do like Michigan and hang "rough road" SIGNS

GAnthony

Supporter
Holy crap in a Walmart bag the roads in the NE are almost worse than Michigan and Indiana :mad:

WTF do these people do with road fixin' money anyway. I gotta go look the truck over see if anything fell off.

I thought interstate had standards it was to be kept up to? Like someone somewhere has a benchmark and can downgrade a road from interstate status? Or just do like Michigan and hang "rough road" SIGNS
the states like mine (RI) never have any money left for road repairs, like duck said, they'd rather build bike paths and put up statues..

which is why my state will start (i think) in May to go full throttle on truck only tolls.

supposedly BY LAW, all monies collect from the tolls, will go into the road repair fund...

wanna bet it gets diverted..??

Duck

Quack
Supporter
the states like mine (RI) never have any money left for road repairs, like duck said, they'd rather build bike paths and put up statues..

which is why my state will start (i think) in May to go full throttle on truck only tolls.

supposedly BY LAW, all monies collect from the tolls, will go into the road repair fund...

wanna bet it gets diverted..??
Your state should go full throttle on hanging the crooked politicians from the bridges they stole the maintenance funds from.

Mine too. In fact, every state needs to line its highways with dead politicians. And when they run out of politicians, they can start hanging bureaucrats.

GAnthony

Supporter
Your state should go full throttle on hanging the crooked politicians from the bridges they stole the maintenance funds from.

Mine too. In fact, every state needs to line its highways with dead politicians. And when they run out of politicians, they can start hanging bureaucrats.
problem here and maybe many other places, is the people ar STOOPIT

they re-elect the same crooks.

not me.....i vote out all incumbents.

Last edited by a moderator:

We'll get on that after the war. It's a long time coming but it's due