Yet more random thoughts... put 'em here

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I got mine used for $800 😎
That's cool. I looked around and there weren't any good candidates. $1900 for a 40" with a bagger and a pressed deck was the best option. F that.

vaportrail

It's a lot but worth it. Plenty of people are paying twice that and more. This is on the low end for zero turns.

My clavicle is showing no signs of healing and the tractor was getting to be too difficult (ie painful) to maneuver in tight spaces.

The zero turn is effortless. That alone makes it worth it to me.
prolly will drastically reduce your seat time as well cant beat em

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
prolly will drastically reduce your seat time as well cant beat em
Yeah I did my yard in about 20 minutes while learning it, including the rear "alley" - both mine and the neighbor's.

It was a dirt alley decades ago but has grassed over all the way across over time. You can only tell it was ever a right of way by satellite imagery.

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
They go back together pretty easy. It's usually harder to get them apart
Yeah hopefully.

I gotta pull the swing arm off and it requires a special tool. 😡

20190607_205205.jpg

A piece of pipe with some castellations cut into it, with an offset tab I can put a torque wrench on. Probably $300 at the Honda dealer. 🙄

Gotta pull it out to replace this rubber boot over the U-joint.

20190607_211224.jpg

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Yeah hopefully.

View attachment 50630

A piece of pipe with some castellations cut into it, with an offset tab I can put a torque wrench on. Probably $300 at the Honda dealer. 🙄

View attachment 50631

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
@Duck ...worse case (or good case) scenario, is that you use a brass drift and hammer it out.

you would know the amount of force will "tell you" how much torque was on that nut.

if it turns easliy, obviously not that much torque.

you can even try nearly any automotive parts store that rents tools as well.

i saw a set of those sockets, but you may never need/use them ever again.

then too, if you have a band saw(??) you can buy a socket and cut it to fit.

when i had turned wrenches, i had such a set, OTC made them back then...was about $400 for the set, but they got used a lot as well for nearly all suspension work on pick up trucks and some front wheel drive cars...

maybe Harbor Freight may have something you can cut up

Duck

Custom title
Supporter

Can't use this one:

s-l400.jpg

You can see how it's designed like a socket. Put the torque wrench (I don't know why they don't call it a torque ratchet..) right on it.

Problem is the bolt you turn with an Allen bit is torqued to 14 ft lbs or something, and that licknut... Licknut, see that? My phone thinks I'm saying licknut. LMAO...

The LOCK NUT the special tool is needed for is tightened up against that Allen bolt as a jam nut, and torqued to 72. You have to hold back the Allen bolt while you torque the jam nut.

Here's that picture again for reference to what I'm talking about. Gotta hold back that inner allen thing or the licknut..
🙄 The LOCK nut will overtighten and kill the bearings.

The only way to do that is to have the jam nut tool wide open on its back side so you can stick the Allen bit through it.

To crank the jam nut tool, it's got a 2-3" tab on the side with the square hole in it for the torque "wrench".

Because the torque "wrench" is offset a few inches, you set the torque "wrench" to 65 instead of 72.

I saw a picture of the one I need but didn't order it yet because I need to double check the part number conversions. The part number I have is obsolete.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Can't use this one:

View attachment 50636

You can see how it's designed like a socket. Put the torque wrench (I don't know why they don't call it a torque ratchet..) right on it.

Problem is the bolt you turn with an Allen bit is torqued to 14 ft lbs or something, and that licknut... Licknut, see that? My phone thinks I'm saying licknut. LMAO...

The LOCK NUT the special tool is needed for is tightened up against that Allen bolt as a jam nut, and torqued to 72. You have to hold back the Allen bolt while you torque the jam nut.

Here's that picture again for reference to what I'm talking about. Gotta hold back that inner allen thing or the licknut..
🙄 The LOCK nut will overtighten and kill the bearings.

The only way to do that is to have the jam nut tool wide open on its back side so you can stick the Allen bit through it.

To crank the jam nut tool, it's got a 2-3" tab on the side with the square hole in it for the torque "wrench".

Because the torque "wrench" is offset a few inches, you set the torque "wrench" to 65 instead of 72.

I saw a picture of the one I need but didn't order it yet because I need to double check the part number conversions. The part number I have is obsolete.
i just found this, you'd be able to turn the lock nut and the allen wrench as well

if nothing else, it gives you an idea on how to fabricate one

gearjammer

jammer
Supporter
Yeah hopefully.

View attachment 50630

View attachment 50631
if you can't hillbilly up a tool to get that off you have no right to call yourself a shade tree mechanic