WTF, is there no door on the side of this Pete sleeper?

Thomas Mixter

I'm surprised at PACCAR! I sure hope one doesn't have to be a circus acrobat or have a steel-cutting chainsaw to get out of this window in a hurry. I'm gonna have nightmares about being in a truck sleeper for sure. Better have 5 good First Alerts with fresh batteries in this truck.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
No there’s no door on that sleeper.

Many sleepers don’t have doors.

Thomas Mixter

I'm writing a letter to PACCAR about this. I also have a bone to pick with PACCAR for not providing an email address for customer relations at its corporate website. So, now I have to waste paper, HP Laserjet printer toner and an envelope and pay a .50 cent postage stamp to send them a letter via US mail. They only provide a FAX number, a telephone number and a mailing address. So, now more trees have to be destroyed, logging companies and logging drivers profit, the USPS gets richer, Big Oil gets richer, the air gets more polluted and HP gets richer and truck drivers have to deliver the Staples office supply materials I've expended to write PACCAR a letter on how to build safer products for commercial drivers.

Thank me, American truck drivers, for supporting your job security while promoting your personal safety on my dime and time.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
I'm surprised at PACCAR! I sure hope one doesn't have to be a circus acrobat or have a steel-cutting chainsaw to get out of this window in a hurry. I'm gonna have nightmares about being in a truck sleeper for sure. Better have 5 good First Alerts with fresh batteries in this truck.
It’s on the other side of the truck.

Mike

Staff member
That's what I was going to say, it might be on the other side.

That said, I am not sure the 579 I looked at a few months ago had a door on either side. I was only wanting to see the inside of a 579 though, wasn't looking to actually buy the truck so I didn't pay attention to that detail.

Mike

Staff member
The thing you have to realize is that it's not the manufacturer that is to blame here. The option is available for a door, it is up to the buyer to decide whether they want to pay for it or not. It doesn't add a whole lot to the price, but fleets look at every angle to cut corners and opt to leave these things out.

They also leave inexpensive things such as extra insulation out, which they are too stupid to realize just costs them more money for the life of the truck.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I'm gonna have nightmares about being in a truck sleeper for sure.
Yeah it keeps me awake at night.

Like what if the steering wheel caught on fire? That's been known to happen. They just suddenly burst into flames while you're sleeping. Especially the fancy ones made of tannerite.

And if your truck has a pre-pass for the weigh stations you're in SERIOUS danger. Those things have burned down more trucks than anything.

Thomas Mixter

Are you sure, r3, I always thought they had a door on either side. Well, if that's the case please pardon me for spanking PACCAR's butt too hard. One sleeper door is a heap better than none anyway. I confess, I have still a heap to learn about these civilian trucks. I know the army ones like the backs of my two hands. My letter to PACCAR will request factory smoke detectors, factory CO detection equipment for the cab and a cab roll cage to boot so you drivers won't get crushed like a car in a crusher should you experience that rare occurrence of a complete overturn with your greasy side aiming toward the face of God. Meanwhile slow down on those twisties and those greasy winter roads, don't let that long downgrade carry you to the runaway ramp with frazzled nerves and highly soiled britches, center and balance that load and secure it tight as drum and keep your greasy side down. Drive safe and live a long life before you go to PACCAR Heaven and drive that ghost rig in the sky! The thing about truck driving is the devil is in the details. The army drill sergeants always said pay attention to detail.

PREPARE
CONTROL
SNUB

for that hairy trip "over the cliff"

Duck

Quack
Supporter
My letter to PACCAR will request factory smoke detectors, factory CO detection equipment for the cab and a cab roll cage to boot so you drivers won't get crushed like a car in a crusher should you experience that rare occurrence of a complete overturn with your greasy side aiming toward the face of God.
Ya know why Boeing 747 aircraft have that hump in the top at the front?

They were designed as freighters, and they wanted the pilots and crew to be safer in case they crashed. In a relatively low speed impact while on the ground, the cargo would be able to crash through the nose without crushing them.

Maybe if you explain that to PACCAR they'll design trucks that way.

You'll just have to watch the bridge clearances so you don't get beheaded.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Are you sure, r3, I always thought they had a door on either side. Well, if that's the case please pardon me for spanking PACCAR's butt too hard. One sleeper door is a heap better than none anyway. I confess, I have still a heap to learn about these civilian trucks. I know the army ones like the backs of my two hands. My letter to PACCAR will request factory smoke detectors, factory CO detection equipment for the cab and a cab roll cage to boot so you drivers won't get crushed like a car in a crusher should you experience that rare occurrence of a complete overturn with your greasy side aiming toward the face of God. Meanwhile slow down on those twisties and those greasy winter roads, don't let that long downgrade carry you to the runaway ramp with frazzled nerves and highly soiled britches, center and balance that load and secure it tight as drum and keep your greasy side down. Drive safe and live a long life before you go to PACCAR Heaven and drive that ghost rig in the sky! The thing about truck driving is the devil is in the details. The army drill sergeants always said pay attention to detail.

PREPARE
CONTROL
SNUB

for that hairy trip "over the cliff"
Typically the door is on the driver side on Pete’s. Yeas you can add one on the passenger side. But typically it’s on the driver side.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You know, having an extra door is just another breach point. Sure, it’s an extra exit point in an emergency. But now you want me to add one or two more breach points where some jackwad can break in while I’m parked?

No, thank you. Ratchet strap through the door handles you gotta break the windows if you want to get in my truck

:harumph:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
You should demand that they make the bunks setup so that the controls are on the passenger side of the truck. Totally reverse the lay out.

That way when we park on the shoulder for our 8 or 10 hour break our heads are on the uphill side.

Thomas Mixter

You know, having an extra door is just another breach point. Sure, it’s an extra exit point in an emergency. But now you want me to add one or two more breach points where some jackwad can break in while I’m parked?

No, thank you. Ratchet strap through the door handles you gotta break the windows if you want to get in my truck

:harumph:
I fear being trapped by fire much more than the cab's being breached by a crazy or violent person.
I should have asked manufacturers to include doors and windows that are harder to force-enter
and anti-intrusion alarms as well.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
you should just wire in a claymore then.

Seriously, if you've got vet status, you should go talk to the VA and get some treatment for that anxiety/PTSD.

it's going to really hinder your life this way left untreated.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
you should just wire in a claymore then.

Seriously, if you've got vet status, you should go talk to the VA and get some treatment for that anxiety/PTSD.

it's going to really hinder your life this way left untreated.
He can't. They'll use it as an excuse to violate his 2nd amendment rights.