Flatbed Would you secure a load like this?

Mike

Staff member
Thread starter #1
Maybe it’s fine, maybe not. What say you?

D944C78E-E6DA-4103-82C3-07F3C1657269.jpeg

Silverwolf

That's the new rubber ride load suspension system. They are competing with Air Ride for market share. But to answer your question, no I wouldn't. That's a complete waste of the space on the first level, totally unacceptable.

Silverwolf

Seriously now , it looks real unsafe. But I know that pipe, each one weighs about 25lbs. They are aluminum and crush like tin cans. That entire top load weighs next to nothing, so he's probably ok.

Now, does the weight rating of that load get based on the weight rating of the tires? Or?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Anything I ever loaded like that, I always tied down the lower layer before loading the top, unless the top and bottom pieces were something with no chance of a shift. No way I'd do that without having those tire stacks secured by themselves, then stack the top and secure it.

That's a pretty standard center pivot load, the long pipes have to go on top, they couldn't handle being the bottom layer without crushing.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
So I don't pull a step deck so I don't have to get this creative. That is a central pivot irrigation system. Personally I would of put all the long pipe on the bottom, short pipe on top of that I would of strapped that with belly straps every 2 tiers and one 4" strap every 4'. Then stacked the tires on the top deck doing an x strap on the front and 3 2" straps across each row. If I could not get all the tires on the upper deck then I would of tried to put half there and half at the back.

If I had to haul it like it's loaded there. Scurement would of been similar but I would of x strapped the front of each set of tires and then ran a strap across the tires themselves before that top layer of pipe went on. But I would of tried to better utilize the deck space. Looks like he still has plenty of room. Could of done some different things here.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Forgot to mention the boxes I would of tried to get them on the lower deck also.

But who knows, maybe this trailer was pre-loaded and strapped and that's how he "has" to take it. We get some loads like that. Especially boats. They load it they secure it. All we do is make sure straps don't loosen in transit and remove the straps when at the destination.

RDBG

If it absolutely had to go like that there would be at least a couple choke straps on that long bundle on top. Doesn't look like the straps are really on all of them. Even then it's sketchy and horrible at best.

I would be curious to know why you couldn't have long pipe on the bottom short on top and tires on the front kick.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
If it absolutely had to go like that there would be at least a couple choke straps on that long bundle on top. Doesn't look like the straps are really on all of them. Even then it's sketchy and horrible at best.

I would be curious to know why you couldn't have long pipe on the bottom short on top and tires on the front kick.
Crap you got me there, while I didn't mention it I would of ran one of them 4" front and rear as chokes.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
They load all of them that way (used to go by the plant all the time.) The long pipe is very flimsy and won't hold the weight of the smaller but heavier pieces. This is probably the most secure way to load this, especially as light as the long pipe is. The driver just needs to secure the stacks better

RDBG

They load all of them that way (used to go by the plant all the time.) The long pipe is very flimsy and won't hold the weight of the smaller but heavier pieces. This is probably the most secure way to load this, especially as light as the long pipe is. The driver just needs to secure the stacks better
That answers that. Never seen this particular stuff myself.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
If it's that flimsy why the straps I the center? Wouldn't that cause a bow in the pipe? And it's not helping with friction as there's nothing under it.

dchawk81

I would at least put some vertical framework around those tires and under the cross beam so that the pipe isn't subject to the rubber squish. Have the pipe rest solely on the wood, not on the wood that's on top of the tires.

In other words, I'd build a door jamb around the tires.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
If it's that flimsy why the straps I the center? Wouldn't that cause a bow in the pipe? And it's not helping with friction as there's nothing under it.
:confused2: I don't know, I've never hauled them myself.Been so long, I forgot you skateboards have the new rules... those pipes need a strap every 10', right? They always load them like that though:

1520994390166.png

And here's a shot of Lindsay's plant, too:

1520994608482.png

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
actually when you have a bridge load like that, you don't put straps in the middle. Especially when you'd collapse the load.

@Hammer166 had it correct.

Mike

Staff member
Thread starter #17
Something that doesn’t show up well in the photo, a couple of those straps have at least one inch cuts in them.

I've been debating picking up a couple or three 40' or 50' straps for choking. I know you're anti strap but 2-4 of them wouldn't take up much space

Just one more tool in the toolbox. I dunno

RDBG

I've been debating picking up a couple or three 40' or 50' straps for choking. I know you're anti strap but 2-4 of them wouldn't take up much space

Just one more tool in the toolbox. I dunno
I wouldn't say anti it's just that I got a taste of floats and like them better. Those long straps would be nice on a step deck sometimes instead of extending 30' straps with chains.