Motor Carrier Working with FEMA loads

Mike

Staff member
What has been your experience dealing with FEMA loads with various brokers, or maybe even becoming what I think is called a FEMA authorizes carrier?

Got this a few times in my email today:

CB6C5621-938C-43B5-BC48-2DCB3825AAFF.png

Not sure what they will be offering, not sure if it’s even something I would want to do, but I responded this evening. Can’t hurt to talk.

I took relief loads into areas many years ago along the Mississippi River. It was my truck, but cant even begin to remember the rates as I wasn’t concerned. I just remember taking my truck through water and debris I would never take it into purposely now.

Facebook is lit up with people looking to win the lottery on FEMA loads. I’m not interested in that, but I do understand covering any risk and protecting your assets.

I guess if somebody like JB Hunt or another carrier was able to make it worth my while to pull their trailers into the area, I might be willing to go do it for a while.

Thoughts? Thinking about it, or staying away from it?

dchawk81

That's funny because I used to think that was truckers volunteering.

But then I also used to think No Outlet signs meant that street had no electricity.

I was four.

dchawk81

BTW I'd do it with a rented Penske or Ryder and leave my precious at home. 😂

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Trailer interchange insurance is expensive. They are trying to capitalize on the detention pay and take away from the guy taking the risks.

I've never fallen for the emergency relief carrot. Too many times on state active duty with the national guard and I want nothing to do with a disaster area.

My truck is my livelihood, why would I want to knowingly put it at such great risk. As a mechanic in the guard, I saw first had the damage that was done to axles and wheel bearings, engines and transmissions,....

Jerry read said it best "it didn't take long to realize it adds up to more than this cowboy makes"

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
A friend went down to Houston last year. The pay was comparable or more to what he would have made.

There is a lot of waiting.

Services are what's left. You're competing with all the other truckers and survivors.

Take enough food/water with you to last a minimum of two weeks.

Plenty of first aid supplies.

Enough tools to accomplish common repairs, and definitely tire repair tools/supplies.

During Katrina I read of folks who waited 2+ weeks to unload.

OTOH, I have a friend who turned his trailer over to FEMA, got it back in good repair with a check he used to pay off his loan. He went home and goofed off while his trailer made money.

D dchawk81 - there is a lot of greed displayed by many who take advantage of the misfortunes of others.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
OTOH, I have a friend who turned his trailer over to FEMA, got it back in good repair with a check he used to pay off his loan. He went home and goofed off while his trailer made money.
My understanding is that the brokers have learned that lesson and are making them power only now.

Someone else commented that here and not the next day, my phone's been ringing for generators out of Minnesota.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Is the $25,000 trailer interchange just you show proof that you are insured for trailer interchange of $25,000?

Buddy of mine in the states is headed down with his truck. I should find out if he's smoking crack, if the money is that good, or if he's just some kind of crusader.

Mike

Staff member
Is the $25,000 trailer interchange just you show proof that you are insured for trailer interchange of $25,000?
Yes. Just insurance. I got a quote for it quite a while back but don’t remember what it was.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Typically it means that the trailer you are hooking up to has a value of $25,000. A typical dry van from a rental fleet. Might be a $70,000 requirement if you connect to a reefer unit.

That is above and beyond cargo or liability.

tommyh

Formerly 'oldhippietommy'
I`ve done quite a few over the past several years
first one we hung around in a parking lot in Orlando for 10 days with about 300 other truckers getting fed 3 meals a day
and making 700 a day detention
last year i did 5 or 6 loads of all sorts,a power only flatbed of generators to Orlando,Fla,a Power only water load to Ft Bragg,several drop trailers of MRE`s to Ft bragg,one load of MRE`s to Atlanta a drop trailer.A drop trailer of MRE`s to Texas too

the drop trailers get paid a daily detention rate
the brokers paid a line haul to get loaded and deliver the trailer.Then the daily detention rate and 2.5 a mile to go get your trailer.I just go to staging areas,other people shuttle the trailers to the damage.Around here there are a hundred Estes day cabs doing the shuttle work

power only-now a days some brokers want you to go get their rented trailer,get the load and go drop it and they earn the daily detention rate.I stay away from them

most brokers will pay you as soon as you are done but there is a few who won`t pay you untill FEMA pays them,usually 6 months

steer clear of Universal,they are the worst i`ve seen
one of the best brokers who I do FEMA loads is ----TQL
believe it or not

I don't know about you big boys but for us little camper pullers it's very lucrative. We get almost double our normal rate. Not on every load but on a lot of them. Every load I've seen on our load board has been at least 15 cents a mile more than usual. Plus we generally only pull to staging areas and have 24 hour pick up and delivery. No waiting. With us the biggest concern is fuel. For the most part you're told if you don't have an auxiliary tank they don't recommend you go. Not just price hikes but just none to be had or contaminated.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Got called this morning to pick up an empty trailer near my house. Would need to deadhead with it to Dallas, get a load of water, take it to Montgomery AL and drop it. Then, of course, I would need to return home to get my trailer unless I wanted to mess with power only out of there.

Round trip rate was very appealing, had I been available for the load.

tommyh

Formerly 'oldhippietommy'
I did a fema load yeaterday
got a load of mre`s and dropped it 98 mile away at Simmons Army Air Field
that place was packed with trailers

300 a day for trailer detention,hope they Keep it a while,at least a month,another one for tomorrow