Workin’ on my ‘80 Pete 359.....Cummins 350 Big

Joker11

Supporter
I am going to document my progress.
So,
Never had a rig before. Been wrenching since a teenager. Figured this was a neat project.

I have so far replaced all the air lines from the RTO-12513 box to the shifter. I bought 1/8” lines to replace like for like, and pieced everything together before finding a kit online that was not only color coded, but also 5/32” upgraded! Dag nabbit!!!!

Then I aired up and a rear driver air bag went kaboom. So I bought two new air bags. Guess what? The old bags were so crappy, the bolt was rusted in and spinning. I had to go buy a cordless grinder to get em off.
Ok, two new bags. Guess what?! Needed a new leveler valve. FedEx delivers tomorrow.

Still need to replace the two bags in the forward driver.

Holy cow, bob tailed and with 5psi those two bags lift a good 6 inches!

I bought some mudflap hangers, a pair of mudflaps and some safety clips to hold em in. Looking good.

Then I replaced the clapped out tail lights with some bright new gazillion LED jobbies.

I meed two new single post double sides fender lights. You know, rounds with amber in front and red in back.

I put in a D4 or 4D battery because I had a brand new one and it works great. I will mount the 2 group size 31s as backups.

Waiting on a guy to buy another project from me so I can buy new shoes. I will take the nasty old Alcoas to Fontana, CA and get em polished up real nice and then put the new shoes on. Tall rubber, old school.

I took the ratty old license plate mount off, removed the smashed light fixture, straightened, sandblasted and painted it. Installed two nice bright LED lights in it. Got me a nice thick copper Historic Vehicle license plate mounted.

Attachments

Joker11

Supporter
I tried to work on it yesterday in the constant drizzle of rain. I got the airbag leveler installed and plumbed up. Now the truck raises up and stays up.
I say tried because I am trying to lose weight due to pre-diabetes and my wife gave me some pills that are supposed to be healthy. It made my head soin and heart race. I felt like I just got off a whirly kind of ride.
Almost puked.

Attachments

Joker11

Supporter
Well, looks like I can’t work a picture post or something. Maybe my head is still wonky from those diet pulls.

Joker11

Supporter
I needed
new ends on the battery cables. Here are pictures of mid-install. New lugs installed but heatshrink not shrunk yet. I had a brand new equipment D4 Caterpillar battery so I stuck it in while I recharge the group 31s. Anyways, I was gonna put the battery in one way and realized the danger of a positive terminal right under the aluminum box lid and rotated the battery. It will fit better with the group 31s back in. Also, the cables lay in better this way.