New To Trucking Will self-driving trucks be an issue in the future?

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
The person I heard it from had her college paid for and as I said has never set foot inside a tractor trailer. My family members that work in trucking dont seem to worried about it, maybe 30 years in future and only for specific applications one of them said. But what brought the discussion about was the fact that her boyfriend who drives a Tesla… which is a self-driving car to some degree. So, I imagine she assumes a big truck must be like a Tesla, but I have a hard time believing that myself after spending five years operating heavy equipment in a log yard which included driving the occasional truck around the yard. Of course, her boyfriend is a doctor and has had the dumb luck of getting his education paid for too. But the fact still remains; I just want to make sure there is a future in trucking and I won’t be pushed out of a job I like and make reasonable money at doing by a silly company like Uber, Google, or Tesla. I am not saying college is a bad route to go but I don’t think its necessarily for me. The experience I had when I went was lacking a lot of substance considering how much money it was racking up in interest and debt. Thanks everyone for your constructive input and keep it coming it means a lot!
that woman you heard it from, is she a blonde, and sits by a candle when she feels cold, then lights it to keep warm..???

and oh boy, a doctor with a Tesla.....now he really is a KNOW IT ALL......

good grief....that morononic doctor, (what does he specialize in, so i can avoid him), was given a line or two at the dealership as well as he read the brochures in the dealership...

what's next, Tesla rockets taking over NASA..???

you either want to get a CDL or not...don't try and play the robotic victim...., otherwise, stay in the logging yards.....

your own family isn't worried about it....WTF.........does THAT tell you...???

Last edited:
that woman you heard it from, is she a blonde, and sits by a candle when she feels cold, then lights it to keep warm..???

and oh boy, a doctor with a Tesla.....now he really is a KNOW IT ALL......

good grief....that morononic doctor, (what does he specialize in, so i can avoid him), was given a line or two at the dealership as well as he read the brochures in the dealership...

what's next, Tesla rockets taking over NASA..???

you either want to get a CDL or not...don't try and play the robotic victim...., otherwise, stay in the logging yards.....

your own family isn't worried about it....WTF.........does THAT tell you...???
Not trying to sound like a victim and I agree the whole concept sounds pretty crazy about driver-less trucks but be for I commit myself to a career I figured doing a little research and asking the experts in the field about their thoughts and professional experience couldn't hurt anything. Thanks for your honest input I appreciate it.

dchawk81

Supporter
Not trying to sound like a victim and I agree the whole concept sounds pretty crazy about driver-less trucks but be for I commit myself to a career I figured doing a little research and asking the experts in the field about their thoughts and professional experience couldn't hurt anything. Thanks for your honest input I appreciate it.
You could always just plan on changing careers if or when the time comes.

You really ought to have a backup plan no matter what you're doing.

Ranger_375

Self driving trucks pretty much won't be able to work in northern states a third of the year if not more, let alone north of the US for even more of the year. The first cicada/jerusalem cricket/bug swarm they hit will disable them in the middle of nowhere, as it will block all their sensors. Anything open deck won't happen, as dchawk's idea of pit crews all over the nation totally negates the cost savings, nevermind adding cost if securement fails and the truck's now down in the middle of nowhere. Also, how's it going to even detect that it failed or had load shift, you can look in a mirror and things look fine but you tap on a strap and know it's loose. Plus you'd need those pit crews within 50 miles of every. single. shipper. as a huge amount of adjustment happens within those first 50 miles, hence why the laws require a load check that soon.

Anything with doors will be easier to automate, and even those still have huge technical issues that will cause more expense in both the short and long run than simply keeping people in them. Ships, aircraft, and trains still have people running them, yet 2 of the 3 have way more space than we do to maneuver, and one has no space yet has protected paths.

dchawk81

Supporter
Considering that many in the younger generation font seem to be at all interested in driving anything, I'd hazard that remainingexperienced CDL drivers will be well paid.
Yeah a lot of them have zero interest in driving and especially the cost of vehicle ownership/operation.

Can't say I blame them really. It's an expensive hassle for a bit of needed convenience.

If you can get around the way you need to without the commitment, hell yeah. Especially in urban areas where parking itself is a PITA if not expensive.

As ride-sharing services expand, you don't even have to be urban. Just a little more patient.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
We had Embark on the forum for a while. It didn't go well. They tried to convince us that robot trucks were not about removing jobs, and corporate greed, and thought we were all dumb enough to believe that.

So I'd say it's already an issue.

Meantime, their truck apparently just made a self driving trip from Florida to Cali though I didn't look into it much.

krelithous

Supporter
We had Embark on the forum for a while. It didn't go well. They tried to convince us that robot trucks were not about removing jobs, and corporate greed, and thought we were all dumb enough to believe that.

So I'd say it's already an issue.

Meantime, their truck apparently just made a self driving trip from Florida to Cali though I didn't look into it much.

I looked into their trip and their "self-driving" truck. It can drive it self and in the video it seems pretty intimidating at first glance, however, they had a driver in the truck the whole time to intervene when something went wrong. After reading into it further it sounds like they have high hopes but the reality that computers and technology fail just like people hasn't changed. I guess their is also legal issues when it comes to self-driving commercial trucks that poses a problem. I am not a trucker and don't have any experience behind the wheel but the more I read into the issue and talk to people it seems a long way off. At least I hope it is because I would love to pursue a career in trucking be for Skynet kills use all haha!

I also have a bad feeling if people at these corporations push this technology to hard it will only be a matter of time be for there is a catastrophe which would prove how unprepared and ignorant they actually are to under take this endeavor.

dchawk81

Supporter
As a 4 wheeler, it'd be too easy to screw with fully automated self driving trucks. Especially once people figure out whether they're programmed for self-preservation or self-sacrificing. ;)

Carriers won't be able to implement it as a way of saving money on driver salary (by eliminating the driver entirely) until driving by humans is outlawed and every vehicle on the planet is self driving and uses the same decision logic. Plus the tech is going to be cost prohibitive for a while.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
As a 4 wheeler, it'd be too easy to screw with fully automated self driving trucks. Especially once people figure out whether they're programmed for self-preservation or self-sacrificing. ;)

Carriers won't be able to implement it as a way of saving money on driver salary (by eliminating the driver entirely) until driving by humans is outlawed and every vehicle on the planet is self driving and uses the same decision logic. Plus the tech is going to be cost prohibitive for a while.
Not after the interfering squishware discovers that robotical trucks are equipped with death rays!

:mad-97:

dchawk81

Supporter
Did that thing just pull out in front of a vehicle at the 44 second mark. Looked like that vehicle was moving pretty good and not committed to the turn lane.
That whole thing is a 3D rendering.

But if they do consider that to be acceptable programming, they're in a world of hurt.

dchawk81

Supporter
None of that is actual footage?
I think some of the background plates are real with the truck added after.

Look at the in-cab footage. Ain't no truck riding that smooth. A fixed camera bounces with the cab won't pan and a handheld moves with the guy holding it. But all that stuff is butter smooth.

There's a guy on YouTube making 3D real renderings of planes and ships that actually existed at one point for his short documentaries. And he's not even well financed. Shows 'em flying/floating and everything.

dchawk81

Supporter
Plus if you look in the cab from the front on shots, there's no sign of a driver or anyone monitoring progress, no diagnostic equipment, nothing.

Mike

Staff member
Plus if you look in the cab from the front on shots, there's no sign of a driver or anyone monitoring progress, no diagnostic equipment, nothing.
Yeah, I could tell some of the cab shots were fake, but assumed at least some of the other was real.