New To Trucking Will self-driving trucks be an issue in the future?

Hello everyone, for the past few months I have been trying to make my mind up about weather or not I would like to start a career in trucking. Last night I was told by a person that vehicle automation could be a real threat to the job in the near future. Please keep in mind this person has never set foot in a truck and knows even less about the industry but never the less I feel it's a good question. Are there any professional truckers out there who have any input on this matter, good or bad?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Somebody will have to babysit the robotical truck for some time to come, rescue the stupid things when they go blue screen, etc. There are plenty of jobs in trucking now, and even if the things are adopted, there will be plenty of jobs in trucking for the foreseeable future.

dchawk81

Supporter
They'll only be trusted to do the easy work at first. Like super duper advanced cruise control. If nothing else you'll be there to babysit it and be the scapegoat and get it off the highway. At least for a good while.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
Hello everyone, for the past few months I have been trying to make my mind up about weather or not I would like to start a career in trucking. Last night I was told by a person that vehicle automation could be a real threat to the job in the near future. Please keep in mind this person has never set foot in a truck and knows even less about the industry but never the less I feel it's a good question. Are there any professional truckers out there who have any input on this matter, good or bad?
don't believe much of what you hear about automation, regarding truck driving.

who was that person?

a driver?

a car driver?

a truck driver?

where did you hear that BS? at the truck stop?

your family has been in trucking for over 20 years, and you think they are worried?

if that's where you heard the BS from, it's because they want you to go back to college, and get into something else.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
if that's where you heard the BS from, it's because they want you to go back to college, and get into something else.
Better be careful about that choice too. There are bunches of white collar jobs that look to disappear with less consequences to the surrounding public than robotical trucks squashing motorists...

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
Better be careful about that choice too. There are bunches of white collar jobs that look to disappear with less consequences to the surrounding public than robotical trucks squashing motorists...
but, at the very least, college makes one think harder.....then if he wants to still be a trucker, he'd have "some idea" on how to run a business over say the average schlep.....if he wants to own a truck.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
but, at the very least, college makes one think harder.....then if he wants to still be a trucker, he'd have "some idea" on how to run a business over say the average schlep.....if he wants to own a truck.
Not really. It gives them a sense of entitlement and superiority that is unfounded. The lack of experience is telling.

However, it does open one to new ideas, and gets one used to thinking. For a change.

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I don’t see automated trucks as a concern

They may replace lower tier drivers like reefer and canners but open deck needs good drivers to watch the load, secure it and deliver it safely

dchawk81

Supporter
I don’t see automated trucks as a concern

They may replace lower tier drivers like reefer and canners but open deck needs good drivers to watch the load, secure it and deliver it safely
Flat will be the first to go. It just needs a rear facing camera to see flappy strappies and some low paid lackeys along the route to cinch 'em up as needed. It'll have an app and be like Uber where peeps with free time will log in and flag themselves as available to meet up with the truck. They'll do it for piece rate.

Just you wait and see.

Canners? Nah too local.

(((ME)))

I think a lot of very seasoned know how truck drivers will be retired by the time this comes on board....Humm but wonder what kind of education the young ones will be required to have or what new regulations will fall into place....even the dot will have to look forward to changes.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Considering that many in the younger generation font seem to be at all interested in driving anything, I'd hazard that remainingexperienced CDL drivers will be well paid.

(((ME)))

The younger generation would only be interested if the truck could be run from a cell phone. There world would clasps if they had to spend a night in a truck.....or eat in one.....then there is the persoanal business to address plus the showers....whoo la la....😀😀😀😀.....kids of today have it way too easy. Imo

Last edited:

(((ME)))

The developers also would have to set some kind of schooling in place for there program....example what type of tech would have the knowledge for repairs. Stranded trucks on the roads do not get the goods delivered.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Nah, self driving trucks with no driver in cab are a long way off yet.
Sure Tesla did there little thing with a beer run. A beer run because that grabs headlines and readers attention. Many facts were omitted from the actual story. The truck was driven by a driver to the interstate. The truck only ran the highway portion of the run. The driver took over exiting the interstate to make the actual delivery.

Big deal, a truck ran down the interstate on it's own. Every driver here will tell you that running down the highway is the easiest part of this job.

You would be pretty job secure if you got your CDL now and if anything your job will become easier as technology develops. Driver elimination is a long, long ways off.

don't believe much of what you hear about automation, regarding truck driving.

who was that person?

a driver?

a car driver?

a truck driver?

where did you hear that BS? at the truck stop?

your family has been in trucking for over 20 years, and you think they are worried?

The person I heard it from had her college paid for and as I said has never set foot inside a tractor trailer. My family members that work in trucking dont seem to worried about it, maybe 30 years in future and only for specific applications one of them said. But what brought the discussion about was the fact that her boyfriend who drives a Tesla… which is a self-driving car to some degree. So, I imagine she assumes a big truck must be like a Tesla, but I have a hard time believing that myself after spending five years operating heavy equipment in a log yard which included driving the occasional truck around the yard. Of course, her boyfriend is a doctor and has had the dumb luck of getting his education paid for too. But the fact still remains; I just want to make sure there is a future in trucking and I won’t be pushed out of a job I like and make reasonable money at doing by a silly company like Uber, Google, or Tesla. I am not saying college is a bad route to go but I don’t think its necessarily for me. The experience I had when I went was lacking a lot of substance considering how much money it was racking up in interest and debt. Thanks everyone for your constructive input and keep it coming it means a lot!

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Yeah, so, Tesla has this whole trucking industry figured out and yet, Tesla nor Elon musk has yet to figure out how to make a profit?:confused-96:
:rolllaugh: Yup, It looks like they got it all figured out.

Kinda like when you go to trucking school and all the broke ass wannabe drivers already have plans on buying a truck and starting their own business as owner operators in an industry they have no clue about!

S steven4200 just wait until you get to trucking school and meet all the Next Don Schneider's

Ranger_375

AI truck would have crapped out in Oregon on this load, then at the border would have done awesome with Canuck customs, then BSOD'ed once it turned north onto 37 in BC.