Wide Based Singles vs. Duals - Looking for current information

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Walmart decided not to use them after having many of them as they proved no advantage.
Ain’t nobody with half a brain gonna run them. Duals are the way to go, why mess with success?

They cost more, less traction, look stupid and are a hazard for blowouts

Duals rule singles suck

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
They cost more...
About the same as a pair of duals they replace. The year over year cost of ownership in fuel is so significantly less than open-shoulder, lugged dual drives that they'll more than pay for themselves and any road service calls within 6 months. Providing you select a good low rolling resistance tire.

less traction...
Not in my experience.

look stupid...
What's that got to do with making money?

are a hazard for blowouts
Not any more than any other tire, especially one that you maintain yourself 24/7/365.

Ranger_375

That's not surprising considering the junk equipment Wal-Mart hires and buys.

FIFY

Ain’t nobody with half a brain gonna run them. Duals are the way to go, why mess with success?

They cost more, less traction, look stupid and are a hazard for blowouts

Duals rule singles suck
They. Don't. Have. Less. Traction. If you haven't actually run a set within the last 2 years, your argument is invalid for a discussion today about it. I've been hooning around frigging Alaska for the last week BOBTAIL and had no issues getting anywhere I needed to go, and had no issues getting up here. About to drive home empty, too. Not worried in the least.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
They. Don't. Have. Less. Traction. If you haven't actually run a set within the last 2 years, your argument is invalid for a discussion today about it. I've been hooning around frigging Alaska for the last week BOBTAIL and had no issues getting anywhere I needed to go, and had no issues getting up here. About to drive home empty, too. Not worried in the least.
I ran a set last week, as a matter of fast

On WET gravel I had to lock the power divider

In SNOW I had to lock the power divider AND lock both axles to move

I had a tanker spin out in front of me LAST winter. My duals pulled him UPHILL with a chain. He couldn’t even get going on plowed FLAT ground I had to get him pointed DOWNhill before he could drive under his own power.

I’ve driven bobtail into the yard, on duals, hooked to a trailer beside a guy with singles, cranked the dollys and left. Meanwhile the guy with singles needed a loader to plow snow, put salt down just to hook, then used the loader to pull truck and trailer out.

So based on my personal observation THEY HAVE LESS TRACTION.

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You have a Cascadia too, correct?
Referring to Wal-Mart's trailers, and choice of tires. I can believe they saw no difference. Some wide singles have the rolling resistance of a squared-off block of granite. I certainly winced every time I got a Wal-Mart store load involving their trailers... my fuel economy went into the tank every time I hooked up to one. Your employer uses junk equipment.

Ranger_375

I ran a set last week, as a matter of fast

On WET gravel I had to lock the power divider

In SNOW I had to lock the power divider AND lock both axles to move

I had a tanker spin out in front of me LAST winter. My duals pulled him UPHILL with a chain. He couldn’t even get going on plowed FLAT ground I had to get him pointed DOWNhill before he could drive under his own power.

I’ve driven bobtail into the yard, on duals, hooked to a trailer beside a guy with singles, cranked the dollys and left. Meanwhile the guy with singles needed a loader to plow snow, put salt down just to hook, then used the loader to pull truck and trailer out.

So based on my personal observation THEY HAVE LESS TRACTION.
Then your chucketard of a company you pull with, that makes you run around scales and all the other stuff you try to brag about, buys crap tires, because in all those conditions.... I would just drive with mine.

Maybe you should spend less on chicken lights and hoods, and perhaps better trucks and tires?

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Referring to Wal-Mart's trailers, and choice of tires. I can believe they saw no difference. Some wide singles have the rolling resistance of a squared-off block of granite. I certainly winced every time I got a Wal-Mart store load involving their trailers... my fuel economy went into the tank every time I hooked up to one. Your employer uses junk equipment.
We don’t use singles on trailers.

Anything 10 years or older gets recaps. Newer gets virgin tires.

I don’t like the spring ride crap that pulls like a sled but as far as sliding tandems and such I’ve never once had to bust ass to get a handle to release even on some REALLY old ones that have slipped through the cracks of being put out to pasture.

So I’m not sure Junk is the right word really.

Old and tired definitely.

And the truck I’m driving this week has Michelin XDA on it. Great in snow, ice is a non issue as nobody is getting traction on that crap I was driving today, and because of the open shoulder aggressive pattern, yeah they probably hurt MPG a little.

But I’ll trade that for a bigger footprint on the ground, and yes, more traction.

dchawk81

Supporter
Wide singles are like snow shoes. Great if you wanna sit on top of the snow but not so awesome if you really need to dig deep.

Probably not an issue until you get into the really really packed stuff. And there's a point at which everyone is screwed.

dchawk81

Supporter
My beef with singles is I can't see 'em in my mirror because they tuck under the trailer too far. Duals are basically flush with the wall.

Ranger_375

Wide singles are like snow shoes. Great if you wanna sit on top of the snow but not so awesome if you really need to dig deep.

Probably not an issue until you get into the really really packed stuff. And there's a point at which everyone is screwed.
uhh

really really packed stuff?

like maybe highway 37 in british columbia, or the Alaska-Canada highway?

The only place I have had traction issues with my singles was in downtown anchorage alaska. Not Tok, not Glenallen, not Whitehorse, not Prince George, not the entire trip north nor south.... Downtown frickin Anchorage.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

The ol’ girl got her winter shoes on. No fear of getting stuck here. 10 times the traction of any wide based single

These been out to Montana Alabama NoDak Alberta PEI snow mud ice freezing rain you name it they run it.

Load it like a freight train drive it like an airplane

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
View attachment 47897View attachment 47898View attachment 47899
The ol’ girl got her winter shoes on. No fear of getting stuck here. 10 times the traction of any wide based single

These been out to Montana Alabama NoDak Alberta PEI snow mud ice freezing rain you name it they run it.

Load it like a freight train drive it like an airplane
Stop taking pics of used tires at the truck stop. We all know you’re a low pro running, non-rule breaking, definitely not outlaw running tall rubber kind of guy.