Who has made custom cabinets for their truck?

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
I've seen several trucks in which the drivers have made custom cabinets, shelves, drawers, etc.

I'm gonna have to do it with this T-660 if I want to bring my microwave, because there's nowhere to put one except the floor under the bunk.

The only "custom woodworking" I've ever done in a truck sleeper was the time I brought my homemade camping stereo in a Volvo. The "custom" thing that I did was simply cutting a piece of 1/4" plywood with rounded corners, edges sanded smooth, because the stereo was originally made for taking on my homemade raft and has 4" tall legs (to keep the bottom of the box dry) and I didn't want those legs digging into the fabric on the upper bunk where I had it.

But I've seen some of my company's trucks in which the guys have gotten really creative, making fold-out tables and drawers, either from scratch or by modifying something store-bought.

Does anyone have pics of their custom truck cabinetry?

** Commie Express **
Supporter
I do and will post them when I have a decent connection. I have like 1 bar on my wireless card here and it's painful. I'm a woodworker and made all new cabinets and other stuff for my truck. Most of my work involved leaving the frame and gutting the inside then making a whole insert to go in containing either drawers or doors. I did everything in red oak. I also did over much of the dash panels and side door panels in red oak also to match.

If you can find a woodworker in your town he would probably do it just for the cost of the wood. Many are somewhat well off people with money and have all the gadgets but nothing to build and no purpose. I was one of them. We jumped at the chance to do ANYTHING custom.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
View attachment 18907

Ok, got one to upload. The drawers are an insert I made. It's 3/4" plywood box made on a bench with drawers then once done was screwed into place. I moved the top shelve exactly enough to hold my microwave and DVD player. The bottom was drawers at one point and made a big storage area for lots of stuff custom made to hold what I carry around. Plus a hacked up vacuum cleaner without the beater bar on bottom or the handle. It's a Dyson and mounted inside with just a hose coming out.
View attachment 18907

Duck

Supporter
I do and will post them when I have a decent connection. I have like 1 bar on my wireless card here and it's painful. I'm a woodworker and made all new cabinets and other stuff for my truck. Most of my work involved leaving the frame and gutting the inside then making a whole insert to go in containing either drawers or doors. I did everything in red oak. I also did over much of the dash panels and side door panels in red oak also to match.

If you can find a woodworker in your town he would probably do it just for the cost of the wood. Many are somewhat well off people with money and have all the gadgets but nothing to build and no purpose. I was one of them. We jumped at the chance to do ANYTHING custom.
I'd like to see those pictures when you get a decent signal.

But you own your own truck and can do that. I'm looking to do something relatively simple and without any modifications to the truck. I already kind of have an idea, .. just a shelf with a little lip on the front edge so stuff don't slide off onto the floor, a hole in the back for the nuke-box's power cord, and 4 little legs that hold it maybe 3 feet off the floor. Since it'll be inside a 3-1/2 sided cabinet (with no provisions for shelves) the surface piece aint gonna go anywhere, so the legs can be flimsy. I'm thinking maybe 2x2's or maybe even split some 1x4's with the table saw.

The complicated part will be measuring for the shelf surface piece, cuz it's gotta fit into a cabinet that's shaped kind of oddly.

Kind of like this, which is just kind of a guess from memory since I ain't even in the truck right now.

View attachment 18908

It'll be a simple project once I figure out how to measure and make some kind of cardboard template for that oddly shaped shelf.

Ok, got one to upload. The drawers are an insert I made. It's 3/4" plywood box made on a bench with drawers then once done was screwed into place. I moved the top shelve exactly enough to hold my microwave and DVD player. The bottom was drawers at one point and made a big storage area for lots of stuff custom made to hold what I carry around. Plus a hacked up vacuum cleaner without the beater bar on bottom or the handle. It's a Dyson and mounted inside with just a hose coming out.
What kind of truck is that? It looks like you tore out the stock cabinets and completely replaced them?

Looks nice.

Is that a smoke or carbon monoxide detector? I put a carbon monoxide detector in my truck last week, in case I end up in the subzero and have to idle all night. T-660's with the grass burners are prone to having exhaust leaks between the turbo & the global warming filter.
View attachment 18908

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Oh, ok. Watch out measuring it. From experience I can tell you most measurements I got from people were always off and most of the time too big. A cardboard template would be excellent.

I'm guessing you have a cabinet with doors and you want to put the microwave in there like a foot or 2 off the floor so you still have space underneath? If that's the case I would think you could hack up anything since nobody can see it? Wouldn't need a cabinet maker for that, just Norm and This Old House s**t.

Duck

Supporter
Oh, ok. Watch out measuring it. From experience I can tell you most measurements I got from people were always off and most of the time too big. A cardboard template would be excellent.

I'm guessing you have a cabinet with doors and you want to put the microwave in there like a foot or 2 off the floor so you still have space underneath? If that's the case I would think you could hack up anything since nobody can see it? Wouldn't need a cabinet maker for that, just Norm and This Old House s**t.
It's an open cabinet with nothing but a little bar for hanging clothes with clothes hangars. I never use that. My clothes are folded up on the little shelf over the bunk where an upper bunk would be. That location is "plan B" in case the microwave is too big to fit in that cabinet. I haven't measured anything at all yet. Right now, it's a complete waste of space. I've got a case of water on the floor in there, but that's it.

I'll go take a picture, .. probably won't turn out good cuz my camera sucks unless it's pictures taken outdoors in bright light.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
I'd like to see those pictures when you get a decent signal.

But you own your own truck and can do that. I'm looking to do something relatively simple and without any modifications to the truck. I already kind of have an idea, .. just a shelf with a little lip on the front edge so stuff don't slide off onto the floor, a hole in the back for the nuke-box's power cord, and 4 little legs that hold it maybe 3 feet off the floor. Since it'll be inside a 3-1/2 sided cabinet (with no provisions for shelves) the surface piece aint gonna go anywhere, so the legs can be flimsy. I'm thinking maybe 2x2's or maybe even split some 1x4's with the table saw.

The complicated part will be measuring for the shelf surface piece, cuz it's gotta fit into a cabinet that's shaped kind of oddly.

Kind of like this, which is just kind of a guess from memory since I ain't even in the truck right now.

View attachment 18909

It'll be a simple project once I figure out how to measure and make some kind of cardboard template for that oddly shaped shelf.

What kind of truck is that? It looks like you tore out the stock cabinets and completely replaced them?

Looks nice.

Is that a smoke or carbon monoxide detector? I put a carbon monoxide detector in my truck last week, in case I end up in the subzero and have to idle all night. T-660's with the grass burners are prone to having exhaust leaks between the turbo & the global warming filter.
It's a Western Star with 80" sleeper. No, I didn't take out the stock cabinets. I was going to then a friend said just gut them and remake how you want them. It was the most simple idea I ever heard. All the drawers are 1/2" solid oak with ball bearing slides. I gutted out the other side also so I could put in a huge 110v fridge off the shelve for $100 instead of hunting down a $900 12v one to fit which I COULD NOT. The hard part is those European blind pocket hinges on the doors. You have to get the 2" round hole exactly right but they are pretty nice.

Yes, that's a smoke and CO detector. Why they don't require these is beyond me.
View attachment 18909

Duck

Supporter
Yes, that's a smoke and CO detector. Why they don't require these is beyond me.
That's how much the government cares about truck drivers. Who gives a **** if toxic fumes get in the cab, as long as it doesn't pollute the atmosphere & harm the polar bears 6000 miles away.

I was WAY off with that cabinet shape.

View attachment 18910

If I can get my little 600 watt nuke-box to fit in there, it'll be tight.

I'd rather make the shelf too big than too small though, .. cuz I can shave off a 1/16" here or there, but if it's too small it'll rattle & drive me crazy. Or maybe I can deliberately make it 1/4" too small all the way around, and fill the gap with automotive door weatherstripping.

Here's standing in front of that cabinet looking down at the floor. That little area off to the right is towards the drivers seat. That little ring in the carpet looks like that's where a previous driver kept his pee jug, LOL.

Those wires were for the previous driver's inverter. I haven't even looked to see if those cables are still hooked up to the batteries. All I know is there's duct tape over the + terminal sitting on the floor.

View attachment 18911

Looking at the passenger side. I'm pretty sure the microwave won't fit in that middle part where a TV is supposed to go. If I put it on the rear shelf, I won't be able to open the door. I'd have to make something for it to sit on, and tie it down somehow so it doesn't end up on the bed or the floor when I gently apply the brakes while bobtailing. But then I'd have to deal with it's power cord.

View attachment 18912

Part of the rear shelf. I couldn't take a picture right at it while standing in front of the passenger seat, because the stupid auto-focus would only work if I pointed it at my snow pants sticking up on the right.

View attachment 18913
View attachment 18910View attachment 18911View attachment 18912View attachment 18913

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Oh man, I would go nuts if I owned that. When I was looking for a truck I was focused on ones that I could fix up. Yours looks like there isn't much you can change. I see what you mean about the odd shape. You will have to secure whatever you make though. I can see where you go over a hump on an angle and the truck rocks from side to side and there goes the microwave. A ballistic missile launched at Devcon 10

Duck

Supporter
Oh man, I would go nuts if I owned that. When I was looking for a truck I was focused on ones that I could fix up. Yours looks like there isn't much you can change. I see what you mean about the odd shape. You will have to secure whatever you make though. I can see where you go over a hump on an angle and the truck rocks from side to side and there goes the microwave. A ballistic missile launched at Devcon 10
Yeah. A lip on the front edge of the shelf will keep the microwave from going flying, but the shelf would need at least one or two screws into the plastic on the left side (side facing bed) since there's nothing to keep that end from sliding outwards. But I'm thinking that those screws should go through a slotted hole to allow a tiny bit of up/down motion, so they're not load-bearing, and the weight of the shelf and microwave would have to be supported with legs going down to the floor.

The slotted hole thing, ... I can just attach a piece of angle-iron to the bottom of the shelf on that side and either cut the vertical slots with my acetylene torch or have my friend do it with his milling machine.

I don't want to put a whole lot of time into this either, since I won't be in that truck very long. It's got 445k miles on it and the company is going to trade it in at 500k. And then they'll probably stick me in some newer piece of **** with no power, and DEF tank..... probably one of their handful of trucks with the DEF tank on the passenger side too. Grr....

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Ok, now I'm wondering why your doing this instead of just leaving it on the floor?

You need to get your own truck then let your dad fix it up with tons of new inventions.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Yeah. A lip on the front edge of the shelf will keep the microwave from going flying, but the shelf would need at least one or two screws into the plastic on the left side (side facing bed) since there's nothing to keep that end from sliding outwards. But I'm thinking that those screws should go through a slotted hole to allow a tiny bit of up/down motion, so they're not load-bearing, and the weight of the shelf and microwave would have to be supported with legs going down to the floor.

The slotted hole thing, ... I can just attach a piece of angle-iron to the bottom of the shelf on that side and either cut the vertical slots with my acetylene torch or have my friend do it with his milling machine.

I don't want to put a whole lot of time into this either, since I won't be in that truck very long. It's got 445k miles on it and the company is going to trade it in at 500k. And then they'll probably stick me in some newer piece of **** with no power, and DEF tank..... probably one of their handful of trucks with the DEF tank on the passenger side too. Grr....
I have the same truck/bunk design , What about a small box bolted to the shelf so you get the clearance to open the mikey wave door? A sub floor for a shelf if you will. and strap the microwave to the sub-floor box? Just throwing it out there. When you turn the truck in I doubt anyone would notice 4 holes drilled into a shelf.

Duck

Supporter
Ok, now I'm wondering why your doing this instead of just leaving it on the floor?

You need to get your own truck then let your dad fix it up with tons of new inventions.
I don't want it on the floor because I'm 6 feet tall, 230 lbs, and don't feel like getting on my hands & knees every time I want to use the microwave. :)

And I ain't stupid enough to buy my own truck in this economy. It seems the only ones who can afford to park it for more than 10 hours are the people who already have their trucks paid off.

I have the same truck/bunk design , What about a small box bolted to the shelf so you get the clearance to open the mikey wave door? A sub floor for a shelf if you will. and strap the microwave to the sub-floor box? Just throwing it out there. When you turn the truck in I doubt anyone would notice 4 holes drilled into a shelf.
That might be the way to go. But I'd have to be on my knees every time I use the nuke-box. What I might just do, for now, is find something the microwave can set on that'll allow the door to open, and when I use it, put the microwave on it, and when the truck is moving, I'll put the microwave beside it on the shelf so it won't go nowhere. Then I wouldn't need any screws or straps. But I'd still have an annoying power cord to deal with. Maybe I could route the cord through the handle of that silly little vent thing to keep it out of my face when I'm sleeping. (if I happen to be parked with the truck leaning to the right, .. when it's leaning to the left I sleep with my head on the other side.)

Tim

U.S.Constitution
Supporter
You need what I had made for my truck.
Its 3 shelves with a pull out table and its made to fit the closet behind the drivers seat under the fridge. Its not bolted in and its own weight has mashed it into the carpet and has never moved.

When photobucket gets done doing what ever they are doing to a server I'll upload a couple pics.

Duck

Supporter
You need what I had made for my truck.
Its 3 shelves with a pull out table and its made to fit the closet behind the drivers seat under the fridge. Its not bolted in and its own weight has mashed it into the carpet and has never moved.

When photobucket gets done doing what ever they are doing to a server I'll upload a couple pics.
&%$#ing Photobucket....

I opted out of that new layout crap they set up.

Racer got locked out of his own account for a while because of their stupid "beta" version he tried.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
View attachment 18914

You did a great job on the drawers and cabinets, It looks real sharp.
View attachment 18914

Duck

Supporter
Well I grabbed a deep tin for baking turkeys in, set upside down it's tall enough to set the microwave on the shelf over the bunk so the door can open. When the truck's in motion, I just slide the microwave off to the side.

And I grabbed my 1000 watt inverter.

I just pulled over at a rest area to check the weather & mileage, was gonna nuke a ham n cheese sammich, ... and realized that although I got my 1000 watt inverter out of the camper, ... I left the damn thing in the house.

F*** it, ... I know where there's a Walmart next to a Pizza Hut about 40 miles up the road..

View attachment 18915
View attachment 18915

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I rebuilt the back of a 9900i Eagle to put a double bed in it.

Then the motor blew a head gasket. It was a Cat.