Who also makes $1,000 per day CLEAN?!

Yeah you guys couldn’t begin to imagine the problems we would have over the most simple smallest things you never expect to go wrong. Zippers and buttons on clothes is a common obvious mistake. Since you’re always pushed up against the cars to squeeze in and out and around the cars. I always wear pajama style pants. Everything all black but without buttons and zippers as much as possible.
Making sure your elbows shoes pants shirt nothing ever has a single spot of dirt or grease on it. Which for bigger guys it’s hard to do because they rub against the cylinders more and the greasy dirty spots in and around the trailers. So until a driver pays for 1-2 $200-$600 detail jobs then they really find a way to make sure they never happens.
Lots of these cars have snow white interior so it really does not take much.
But about it being your car or not... That couldn’t be more true ha because when it’s your own “piece of ****” it’s still your “baby”.
So people have a hard time watching or making sure it’s all good. But again for drivers that don’t quit in first few months in this niche line of work.. they figure out the hard way after it hitting there pockets hard.
That it’s always worth spending extra 15 min or extra hour to throw on a extra strap on the frame of a classic for ex so it doesn’t bounce much.
Or covering a car underneath a older car that chances of something leaking are 95% and those fluids are nothing but trouble because usually at the least burn through the clear coat of the car below.
If somewhere you have a tighter space then what’s supposed to be then you spend extra time wrapping the roof with blankets and pillows out of your own bed if u have to! Been done hundreds of times! ha Just so these cars arrive same as we picked them up. So all of these things will never be done by New an starting drivers.. maybe some but not much. Until they make the mistake and pay $500-$1000-$15000 out of pocket for little silly mistakes, they just don’t learn any other way.

I have been thinking for a long while and working on possibly creating a YouTube channel with how that part of trucking really looks like and works from our side and drivers position. Who would watch such? I just did a trip that was 7 weeks long, which has been the longest trip of my life. Usually nothing more than 12-14 days. & been trying to record and get as much footage as possible. But it’s definitely not easy between bad weather, traffic, 0 extra time & just always both hands are working to load and unload the cars. But the places we go the things we see and transport, idk I think would be something very different and new from the usual trucker vlogs with pulling a box. I would like to hear thoughts on this? From a viewers perspective. Because from what I have seen in the years of doing this job, is everyone always curious about the cars we have loaded inside, how they’re loaded, how the truck and trailer works, how it’s done in general & things like the back stories for the cars. Who we are transporting it for, from where to where etc etc etc.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Finally actually read all that.

And yeah I'm wishing I had stuck with just my Navigator. No truck, car, etc.

Regretting the house to a certain extent.

I enjoy most of it, but I'm locked into this gig until it's paid off. If I lose the gig for whatever reason, stuff's gonna come crashing down...hard.

I can afford it all easily...as long as nothing happens.
I was more talking about O/O's and independents that are leveraged up to the eyeballs and making payments on everything they have.
I know a half-dozen guys that went went broke during the collapse because they bought everything under the sun on credit and couldn't break even when things went to hell.

I know as many other guys who were in a position to fall back and regroup.
dave350 dave350 for one.
I remember him telling me about shopping rates at the time and ending every call with, "ARE YOU F ING KIDDING ME!!!???"
Then telling his wife, "F it, we're going to the house! I ain't running this sumitch for fuel money!!
He's been at the house ever since...
lazy sonova...
:biggrin-2:

As soon as another friend of ours decided that driving somebody else's would put more money in his pocket than driving his own he parked it in the yard and claims he planted flowers around it.
:tongue:

Now seems to be a very good time to get in.
The EPA B/S was causing OEM's to produce absolute junk about the same time as the crash.
A lot of people were ruined by that too...
and a lot of them will never get the taste out of their mouths.

The final effect of the ELD debacle remains to be seen.
A lot of people will revise the way they operate.
Some will bail, but most will probably just talk smack and suck it up when push comes to shove.
Still, seems like a perfect storm right now for drivers & O/O's
A steady erosion of quality of life issues for most segments beginning with the crash and more or less continuing right up until today.

Trucks are much better now but I still wouldn't trust one.
Warranty is all well n good but if you're spending half your life in the shop you're going to have a tough time turning profit.

The bottom line is that you have to temper enthusiasm with reality and consider the worst case.
At the same time, if you wait for a perfect window you'll never find it.
The way some of these guys talk you need to own every piece of equipment outright and have 4 million dollars in the bank before you book your first load.
:stare2:

But you know,
Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.
:wink:

Last edited:
I was more talking about O/O's and independents that are leveraged up to the eyeballs and making payments on everything they have.
I know a half-dozen guys that went went broke during the collapse because they bought everything under the sun on credit and couldn't break even when things went to hell.

I know as many other guys who were in a position to fall back and regroup.
dave350 dave350 for one.
I remember him telling me about shopping rates at the time and ending every call with, "ARE YOU F ING KIDDING ME!!!???"
Then telling his wife, "F it, we're going to the house! I ain't running this sumitch for fuel money!!
lazy sonova...
:biggrin-2:

As soon as another friend of ours decided that driving somebody else's would put more money in his pocket than driving his own he parked it in the yard and claims he planted flowers around it.
:tongue:

Now seems to be a very good time to get in.
The EPA B/S was causing OEM's to produce absolute junk about the same time as the crash.
A lot of people were ruined by that too...
and a lot of them will never get the taste out of their mouths.

Trucks are much beter now but I still wouldn't trust one.
Warranty is all well n good but if you're spending half your life in the shop you're going to have a tough time turning profit.

The bottom line is that you have to temper enthusiasm with reality and consider the worst case.
At the same time, if you wait for a perfect window you'll never find it.
The way some of these guys talk you need to own every piece of equipment outright and have 4 million dollars in the bank before you book your first load.
:stare2:

But you know,
Monday morning quarterbacking is easy.
:wink:

Yes that’s a very important point to remember with the new trucks when people claim “but it has full coverage warranty” if something goes wrong they fix it all for free and that’s why new trucks always better. Which is a big pile of crap. They don’t think about the downtime at all, usually most places when it comes down to warranty jobs dealerships take there sweet ass time doing the work and doing it right. And all that downtime is what will really kill you! Because with new trucks you need that thing on the road almost everyday of the month to keep up with the payments and bills! So here an there couple times in the shop and you’re screwed big time! Been down that road myself personally. In 2013 I got a 2012 cascadia with a Cummins isx motor with only 7k miles, and I believe this was the first year def came out as well which the truck had. So I owned the truck for a little under 3 years in total. When I sold it, only had 440k miles, but already had inframe done 2 times! First by Cummins in fl second time by Freightliner San Antonio. I had spent a fortune in the first 20 months of having the truck on repairs out of pocket, this is on top of already the millions of times it’s been in the shop before and jobs covered by warranty! Since new it’s been burning through lots of oil, and the dpf, def systems just kept robbing me each month between every trip it would go in for a visit each time taking about a weeks time and on average $3,000 per visit. They would change out few sensors clear some codes and said they finally had it now. Bullshit. 2-3 days later again as usual engine in derate safety mode situation it does, hp lost, all lights on. And again straight to a shop. I’ve tried mom an pop shops to all the official shops about couple dozen times each. & until I got rid of that garbage it was sucking money till last day.

dave350

lazy sonova...
:biglaugh:

I miss running my truck but I don’t miss those days. :biggrin-2: I started deadheading home from Davenport, IA I was so irritated.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
And yeah I'm wishing I had stuck with just my Navigator. No truck, car, etc.

Regretting the house to a certain extent.
...jumping in the middle.

There's both sides to it. Wanting to be an o/o, starting out with really big payments on the equipment and having a big bill for the off-road life is a bad way to go.

Right now rates are through the roof - it may or may not last. So perhaps there's enough money to go around. But that doesn't mean the good times will last - '07 was pretty durn good too. It's been 10 years since the crunch, so the way things go, we're getting due for a correction. And... if the boys get their war in Iran, that's definitely going to spike fuel costs.

Having all those payments isn't a good way to be entering financial hard times.

But what the heck? It's still party time!

:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts