Which Truck to buy..running me nuts

v d trucking

:confused-96::green-bounce:I bought 2005 Mack C613 with mack A/C motor at 890K and did not do too the transmission gave way on my first month, since then truck was spent more time at the shop than on the road making money but only taking it off my pocket while still at the shop or at the back of a tow truck until finance company took it away for non payment for more than 1 year.
I want to buy another truck but going through the threads here, I find varied opinions about various trucks and engines, I am not a truck mechanic and do not have the pleasure of spending $30k to rebuild a truck. I need an advice on a decent used truck that could be gentle on fuel consumption, maintenance and the upfront purchase costs. I have been advised to go for pre-emission Detroit series 60 1990s that is. I am sceptical and confuse because of the age, can some good fellow out there give me a hint. I am not considering any new truck with all sensors, I have quite a bit of head ache with the company trucks am working with

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Pre-emissions with a Detroit, Cummins or CAT. 13 speed Eaton. Meritor rears and steers.

I wouldn’t be scared to look at 3406B CATs, or big cam 3 or 4 mills. N14 was a good motor too. Detroit 12.7 was easy on fuel.

Do some or most of your wrenching yourself. $5-10,000 in the bank, $1000 cash on the truck. Carry tools, fluids and spare parts.

You’d be surprised what you can limp home especially if you’re smart enough to avoid scales. Broken exhaust, leaking wheel seals, no headlights, no running lights, flat tires... you name it run it home and get it fixed on your home turf.

v d trucking

thanks Guys, this will be helpful, I am still doing an extensive research hearing from forum like this is an insight, I am leaning on a Series 60 Detroit 12.7, I do a lot of minor repairs by my self but when its -25c out there I can do but a little.
Mack is a good truck but parts are expensive and hard to work on.
thanks All

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
You’d be surprised what you can limp home especially if you’re smart enough to avoid scales. Broken exhaust, leaking wheel seals, no headlights, no running lights, flat tires... you name it run it home and get it fixed on your home turf.
Or just take the four hours downtime, take a shower and let a small town shop you trust fix it and be gone.

People waste more money trying to save a dime than it's worth.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Or just take the four hours downtime, take a shower and let a small town shop you trust fix it and be gone.
There’s hardly any mechanics I trust at home to fix my ride let alone on the road. Trained monkeys would do a better job.

No thanks. Fix it myself at home and fix it right

Good luck getting warranty on work done on the road at a small shop

Latest posts