Which American mega-carriers will never require drivers to exit the United States of America while on duty?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
They don't bang on dirty black T660 doors either, LOL.

Although, I was parked at a truckstop a couple weeks ago, and some weirdo was staring through the little window at the bottom of my passenger door. I glanced over and the guy literally had his face up to the window trying to see inside. He ran away really fast once I noticed him.
I don't know what to do with that. maybe wash your truck and you will have a chance? :dunno::rolllaugh:

Nomad1

I don't think it's a requirement with any of the Megas to have a passport to get hired. If after getting hired they push you to get a passport it is really easy to have your passport application denied.

Mike

Staff member
I don't think it's a requirement with any of the Megas to have a passport to get hired. If after getting hired they push you to get a passport it is really easy to have your passport application denied.
Honestly not sure what they do now. I know that with carriers a long time ago, I was required to go to Canada, and went there. Passports weren't a requirement at that time though.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Honestly not sure what they do now. I know that with carriers a long time ago, I was required to go to Canada, and went there. Passports weren't a requirement at that time though.
Scotus has determined they are still not required.
I thought passport were required to go to Canada.Just asking.
If Canada requires it, what's SCOTUS got to do with it?
You can get into Canada with a US driver's license. The trick is entering the US without a passport.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I thought passport were required to go to Canada.Just asking.
Negative. Passports are not required to go to Canada, Passports are required to enter the U.S. G.W. BUSH.
You can show up with just a D.L. and a birth certificate like the way it used to be but it was reciprocal, Until Bush.
It should be noted that U.S. Customs can not deny entry to a U.S. citizen but they sure as hell can take their sweet assed time about it.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
And scotus has ruled that a us citizen cannot be denied entry into the US.

Providing a drivers license for proof of residency and a birth certificate for citizenship is sufficient.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
And scotus has ruled that a us citizen cannot be denied entry into the US.

Providing a drivers license for proof of residency and a birth certificate for citizenship is sufficient.
SCOTUS didn't say they had to make it easy...

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I am beginning to perish the notion of driving into Canada now because I'm reading online that's even illegal in that country to defend yourself with pepper spray there. If that's the case then being a truck driver could be a deal breaker for me unless I work for a company that either never runs over the Canadian border or gives its employees the option to opt out of runs over such border.
Canada is a very safe country. I am willing to bet that you can leave your truck cab doors unlocked and no one will mess with it.
I wager $500,00 American dollars that if you sleep with doors unlocked you will wake up alive and owe me $500.00.
If you die, I will owe you $500.00. 👍

Last edited:

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Whining about "escape doors," and sending letters to manufacturers about the lack thereof isn't the usual course of research. Eventually, he'll find out that those things are options most megas aren't going to pay for.

He'll also find, as an employee, he'll drive what they assign him.

Thus, the point about being overly picky, especially as a new driver.
I was picky as a new driver. That’s why I work for TMC

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Canada is a very safe country. I am willing to bet that you can leave your truck cab doors unlocked and no one will mess with it.
I wager $500,00 American dollars that if you sleep with doors unlocked you will wake up alive and owe me $500.00.
If you die, I will owe you $500.00. 👍
Yeah I dunno where is fear of “the most polite” country in the world came from. Yeah sure maybe a couple hockey hooligans will have a bar fight but dude. When the average crime is someone didn’t say excuse me and jay walking...what’s there to worry about? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Yeah I dunno where is fear of “the most polite” country in the world came from. Yeah sure maybe a couple hockey hooligans will have a bar fight but dude. When the average crime is someone didn’t say excuse me and jay walking...what’s there to worry about? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I was parked near Buffalo NY and woke up to see some jackwad had scribbled in ballpoint pen on my drivers door.

Some dirtbag mother****er lifted my wallet out of the truck in Brampton in the summer months

I think it’s the large cities you need to avoid parking in/around/near. I now avoid parking in metro areas

And most folks who want a job figure out pretty quickly that they either accept the deal or go flip burgers.
I've generally felt very safe in Canada. Speaking of burgers though, this might be my biggest gripe with Canada :). You can't order a medium-rare burger at a restaurant. Against the law. Pink not allowed, well-done only.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I've generally felt very safe in Canada. Speaking of burgers though, this might be my biggest gripe with Canada :). You can't order a medium-rare burger at a restaurant. Against the law. Pink not allowed, well-done only.
Why would you want a medium rare burger? :confused-96:

Ok so what’s up with sweet and unsweetened iced tea? One is like drinking syrup the other is like drinking crappy cold tea

Nomad1

Why would you want a medium rare burger? :confused-96:

Ok so what’s up with sweet and unsweetened iced tea? One is like drinking syrup the other is like drinking crappy cold tea
Mix them if you're in the south. Anywhere else in the world just avoid tea.