Which American mega-carriers will never require drivers to exit the United States of America while on duty?

Sam McCloud

I am beginning to perish the notion of driving into Canada now because I'm reading online that's even illegal in that country to defend yourself with pepper spray there. If that's the case then being a truck driver could be a deal breaker for me unless I work for a company that either never runs over the Canadian border or gives its employees the option to opt out of runs over such border.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I feel 10 times safer in Canada than the USA

If you’re in a spot as a trucker that you need to defend yourself, or the truck, physically, there was a lot more going wrong and a lot of better decisions that could have been made

Sam McCloud

I've never been required to go to Canada.
What I plan to do now is question the mega-carriers one on one using contact information from their own respective websites and of course not give my correct legal name should I ever apply for a job or CDL school with any of them. My main interest is becoming a long-haul OTR driver. I would like to at least have pepper spray as a bare minimum defense weapon and I don't think I could face any felony charges for having pepper spray in any of the lower 48 states. I worked for the US postal service one time and even they issued me pepper spray against dog attacks as a city carrier. I did use it on at least one nasty dog. Canada doesn't even want people there to defend themselves with a baseball bat. In Canada you are supposed to let a criminal beat you up or kill you while remaining defenseless. No thanx.

Here is what prospective companies will be asked by me off the bat:

"1. Do your OTR drivers ever operate outside of the borders of the United States of America? I'm only willing to work for a company as a driver that would never require me to leave the United States of America for personal security reasons. I refuse to cross international borders either into Mexico or Canada.

2. What brands/makes of tractors are in your fleet? I favor PACCAR: Kenworth/Peterbilt. I love those side sleeper berth doors for easy driver gear loading and easy exit in case of an emergency as a possible cab fire due to electrical overload in the dash.

My motto is "SAFETY FIRST".

What is your corporate culture?"

As far as I'm concerned if Canada or Mexico wants goods from us they can come and get it themselves. As an American, there is nothing freight-wise I want or need from either of those two countries.

I don't want to work for any company that says, "Either you drive this load to Canada (or Mexico) or you are fired."

I don't even have a passport for Canada or Mexico and would never want to obtain one for any reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I don't want to work for any company that says, "Either you drive this load to Canada (or Mexico) or you are fired."
As a W2 employee, you really don't have much say in the matter.

you do what, "the man" tells you to do for your employment, or you seek wages elsewhere. Kind of just how it works in business.

The other option is you go through the hoops and decide to get your own authority to make the rules and do what you want.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I am beginning to perish the notion of driving into Canada now because I'm reading online that's even illegal in that country to defend yourself with pepper spray there. If that's the case then being a truck driver could be a deal breaker for me unless I work for a company that either never runs over the Canadian border or gives its employees the option to opt out of runs over such border.
As picky as you seem to be, perhaps you should find a post-military career in a different industry. Just a thought...

Mike

Staff member
As picky as you seem to be, perhaps you should find a post-military career in a different industry. Just a thought...
Been reading through his threads, and to be honest, most of the stuff I see him posting is stuff I hear drivers complaining about all the time.

While i don't agree with his desire to have government involvement in the problems, I do think it is good to ask as many questions as possible before jumping into a career like this.

I'm sure his expectations will be adjusted should he choose to move forward with truck driving.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Been reading through his threads, and to be honest, most of the stuff I see him posting is stuff I hear drivers complaining about all the time.

While i don't agree with his desire to have government involvement in the problems, I do think it is good to ask as many questions as possible before jumping into a career like this.

I'm sure his expectations will be adjusted should he choose to move forward with truck driving.
And most folks who want a job figure out pretty quickly that they either accept the deal or go flip burgers.

Mike

Staff member
And most folks who want a job figure out pretty quickly that they either accept the deal or go flip burgers.
Actually, most listed to what a few recruiters tell them, make the jump, then regret it. It's "part" of the reason turnover is so bad in this industry.

Mike

Staff member
He's in for a rude awakening.
A rude awakening would be blindly going to work for Mega Carrier Express after listening to recruiters, then wondering what the hell he got himself into.

Might be a ton of questions, but at least questions are being asked.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
A rude awakening would be blindly going to work for Mega Carrier Express after listening to recruiters, then wondering what the hell he got himself into.

Might be a ton of questions, but at least questions are being asked.
Whining about "escape doors," and sending letters to manufacturers about the lack thereof isn't the usual course of research. Eventually, he'll find out that those things are options most megas aren't going to pay for.

He'll also find, as an employee, he'll drive what they assign him.

Thus, the point about being overly picky, especially as a new driver.