Which American mega-carriers will never require any of the following CDL endorsements?

Trevor Peterson

1. Doubles and Triples?
  2. HAZMAT?
  3. Tank Vehicles?
  4. Charter Bus?
  5. School Bus?
  6. Passenger Transport?
  7. Combination Tanker/HAZMAT?
I suspect they all will all least require:

1. Air Brakes

as well as:

a valid CDL Class A for any combination of vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds provided the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. You also need this license to drive across state lines.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
  1. Doubles and Triples?
  2. HAZMAT?
  3. Tank Vehicles?
  4. Charter Bus?
  5. School Bus?
  6. Passenger Transport?

1. Air Brakes

as well as:

a valid CDL Class A for any combination of vehicles weighing 26,001 or more pounds provided the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. You also need this license to drive across state lines.
I have zero endorsements yet I’ve pulled doubles, tankers, buses, hazmat and they’ve all had air brakes

Trevor Peterson

I've been told it's prudent to have all the endorsements but I have no hankering to deal with the danger and hassle of doubles/triples, pup trailers, converter dollies, tank vehicles and hazardous cargo requiring placards. Nor do I fancy a position that deals with passengers. I can't stand dealing with the general public. I'm no people person. Too many as_holes ride buses and many transit/crosstown bus drivers are rude to riders. I don't know of any heavy combination vehicles with hydraulic braking systems in modern times. I want to drive semi trucks with a single dry-van or a reefer trailer only. Flatbeds are not my hankering also.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've been told it's prudent to have all the endorsements but I have no hankering to deal with the danger and hassle of doubles/triples, pup trailers, converter dollies, tank vehicles and hazardous cargo requiring placards. Nor do I fancy a position that deals with passengers. I can't stand dealing with the general public. I'm no people person. Too many as_holes ride buses and many transit/crosstown bus drivers are rude to riders. I don't know of any heavy combination vehicles with hydraulic braking systems in modern times. I want to drive semi trucks with a single dry-van or a reefer trailer only. Flatbeds are not my hankering also.
Tanker and hazmat are usually required for megas - to pull hazmat along with general freight. The tanker endorsement is for palletized liquid containers. The guy who said you don't need them us a Canadian trucker, and they run the trucking industry up there like it's Afghanistan... apparently.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
My first (previous, only other) job was dedicated and I didn't need any endorsements.

I had to get tanker and hazmat when I came here because we service Ecolab. It's not methylethylbadshit per se so it's not as big a deal as hauling something that could explode if you look at it the wrong way and insult its mother. Follow the protocols, but don't be scared of it. Take the extra pay, move on to the next.

I say that but dealing with adhesive placards still pisses me off. Especially in the cold.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I say that but dealing with adhesive placards still pisses me off. Especially in the cold.
You never use the entire backing surface to stick 'em on. That just prolongs th' torture of gettin' th' stupid things off.

Trevor Peterson

Tanker and hazmat are usually required for megas - to pull hazmat along with general freight. The tanker endorsement is for palletized liquid containers. The guy who said you don't need them us a Canadian trucker, and they run the trucking industry up there like it's Afghanistan... apparently.
Ok, if the endorsements are required will the megas still require rookie drivers to haul tankers, doubles/triples and/or HAZMAT? I've been told doubles/triples are not recommended for inexperienced drivers and they have special hazards. Rearward amplification, rollover proneness and general less stability than single-trailer semis. They are also more physical work and time-consuming dropping them and hooking them up.

I would probably get all the endorsements anyway before applying to any company but you won't see me volunteering to my dispatcher or manager to pull tankers, doubles and HM. Hopefully, they will be wise enough (Hunt, Swift, Schneider, Yellow, Roadway Express, Prime, Jim Palmer, etc.) to not assign special-endorsement-required loads or vehicles to rookies.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Ok, if the endorsements are required will the megas still require rookie drivers to haul tankers, doubles/triples and/or HAZMAT? I've been told doubles/triples are not recommended for inexperienced drivers and they have special hazards. Rearward amplification, rollover proneness and general less stability than single-trailer semis. They are also more physical work and time-consuming dropping them and hooking them up.

I would probably get all the endorsements anyway before applying to any company but you won't see me volunteering to my dispatcher or manager to pull tankers, doubles and HM. Hopefully, they will be wise enough (Hunt, Swift, Schneider, Yellow, Roadway Express, Prime, Jim Palmer, etc.) to not assign special-endorsement-required loads or vehicles to rookies.
Palletized liquid containers are not "tank trailers." They're metal pallets with a plastic liquid container up to maybe 300 gallons max. There's a regulatory requirement to have a tanker endorsement to pull them in a van or reefer trailer. Flatbreeders occasionally pull them too.

Most carriers won't hire a rookie for traditional tanker or doubles operations, so you need not worry about it.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
My first (previous, only other) job was dedicated and I didn't need any endorsements.

I had to get tanker and hazmat when I came here because we service Ecolab. It's not methylethylbadshit per se so it's not as big a deal as hauling something that could explode if you look at it the wrong way and insult its mother. Follow the protocols, but don't be scared of it. Take the extra pay, move on to the next.

Stop stealing my invented words.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter

If you've got the endorsements you can pull it.

Gotta start sometime. My first was a van of hazmat drums. So tanker and hazmat simultaneously. Slow and easy. Especially around turns and braking. No big deal.

Last edited:

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Palletized liquid containers are not "tank trailers." They're metal pallets with a plastic liquid container up to maybe 300 gallons max. There's a regulatory requirement to have a tanker endorsement to pull them in a van or reefer trailer. Flatbreeders occasionally pull them too.

Most carriers won't hire a rookie for traditional tanker or doubles operations, so you need not worry about it.
Flatbreeders aka moufbreeders aka 🤤

Duck

My other car is a POS too
Supporter
  1. Doubles and Triples?
  2. HAZMAT?
  3. Tank Vehicles?
  4. Charter Bus?
  5. School Bus?
  6. Passenger Transport?

1. Air Brakes

as well as:

Look up a company called BFI. It seems to be the company you're looking for.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Even if you have a hazmat endorsement, the carrier is still required to provide safety training as well as on documentation and hazard response.

So it's not likely you'll be just tossed to the wolves.

Tanker endorsement was expanded to include liquid totes greater than 119 gallons just a few years ago. Or an aggregate total of 1000 gallon or more.

The action of the liquids can get you into trouble quickly. Even something so simple as coming to a stop can shove you forward causing an accident.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Even if you have a hazmat endorsement, the carrier is still required to provide safety training as well as on documentation and hazard response.

So it's not likely you'll be just tossed to the wolves.

Tanker endorsement was expanded to include liquid totes greater than 119 gallons just a few years ago. Or an aggregate total of 1000 gallon or more.

The action of the liquids can get you into trouble quickly. Even something so simple as coming to a stop can shove you forward causing an accident.
Yeah if you're not expecting it and acting accordingly, it can be unsettling and straight up dangerous.

I'll never haul fuel. Especially gasoline. Sheetz pays pretty well but hell naw.

Milk maybe but the big outfit that kind of owns the area doesn't pay squat.