Where the heck is Phoenix? Pullers 20...

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Why do you need a thermometer?
Don't put the breather too far away or you'll be defeating the purpose- probably best to put it lower than the hole you drill though so any left over condensation will fall to the vent and less will go back to the reservoir/tank.
I don’t know that I need a thermometer, it came built-in to the sight glass. When I asked why I wanted a thermometer the guy looked at me funny and said knowing the oil temp is VERY important. So I shut up about it. I tried four different shops and that was all I could find.

He said a vent was very important so the pump doesn’t work as hard. It makes sense, as you pump oil it creates a vacuum (without it being vented). The reservoir needs air from somewhere.

If nothing else I’m learning stuff, which isn’t a bad thing

Gdjjr

I don’t know that I need a thermometer, it came built-in to the sight glass. When I asked why I wanted a thermometer the guy looked at me funny and said knowing the oil temp is VERY important. So I shut up about it. I tried four different shops and that was all I could find.

He said a vent was very important so the pump doesn’t work as hard. It makes sense, as you pump oil it creates a vacuum (without it being vented). The reservoir needs air from somewhere.

If nothing else I’m learning stuff, which isn’t a bad thing
LOL- he's full of it- you looked 4 places and that's all you could find and there in lies your answer- it's all that's available- if you're over heating your oil, for any reason, a thermometer ain't gonna change that- and, when you shut it down for cooling everything around it will become heat soaked so you have to wait longer- if you're concerned with hot oil, put an external cooler (car auto transmission, motorcycle, atv etc) which actually dissipates - that said, if you have an adequate amount of oil it will dissipate through the walls of the reservoir- but, if it's in an enclosed space it would help to have a small fan and an external cooler- like I said- a lot of variables involved.

What are you using it for?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
LOL- he's full of it- you looked 4 places and that's all you could find and there in lies your answer- it's all that's available- if you're over heating your oil, for any reason, a thermometer ain't gonna change that- and, when you shut it down for cooling everything around it will become heat soaked so you have to wait longer- if you're concerned with hot oil, put an external cooler (car auto transmission, motorcycle, atv etc) which actually dissipates - that said, if you have an adequate amount of oil it will dissipate through the walls of the reservoir- but, if it's in an enclosed space it would help to have a small fan and an external cooler- like I said- a lot of variables involved.

What are you using it for?
It’s just a shop loader, like a forklift but with a jib instead. I highly doubt I’m ever going to overheat the hydraulic oil

I wanted the sight glass to monitor the oils cleanliness. I don’t really think I care about temps.

Instead of using a stick this will be nice to monitor the oil level this way

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
D21B98A8-F78C-4320-A175-F9B10CCAFD35.jpeg
Still not sure how that got broken :mad:

Luckily I had a spare. Other than some jackass using regular nuts on stainless bolts this wasn’t a huge deal to change

Probably just old age :dunno:

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
View attachment 51228
Still not sure how that got broken :mad:

Luckily I had a spare. Other than some jackass using regular nuts on stainless bolts this wasn’t a huge deal to change

Probably just old age :dunno:
Yeah rubber and plastic deteriorate from exposure to the elements. Just normal wear and tear. That thing flexes like 300 times a mile. It’s not like it holds your hood completely rigid.