Where is Mike? Where is he going? Don't ask him, he's probably lost.

Mike

Staff member
Marion, Illinoiz. At the Pilot. Deliver 35 miles from here tomorrow in Du Quoin. Or is it Duquoin.

Then it’s off to get a load of seed to take to Oklahoma. First XPO load since they screwed me out of a $10 com check fee to pay their lumper. I got back even with them by a lot with this load.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
you chasing windmills Don Quixote.....

Mike

Staff member
I’m not too far off then, I’m usually 35-35,500 empty full tanks
I weighed the truck a long time ago with a Schneider trailer, don't even remember which brand of trailer it was. I was 33,400 then. I think I am lighter now with my current trailer, but haven't put the truck on a CAT scale to get an accurate empty weight yet. Might do that tomorrow if I think about it.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I weighed the truck a long time ago with a Schneider trailer, don't even remember which brand of trailer it was. I was 33,400 then. I think I am lighter now with my current trailer, but haven't put the truck on a CAT scale to get an accurate empty weight yet. Might do that tomorrow if I think about it.
I was just curious. I scaled at 34,700 with half tanks today. Another 100 gallons would be roughly 700 pounds.

Interesting to compare notes, I figured a dry van be lighter

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
General guideline...

Flatbed, 49-50k
Step, 46-47k
Dry van, 45-46k
Reefer 44-45k

That's what you should be able to put on the deck and scale at or just under 80k gross.

If you can't, yer rig needs to go on a diet.

Seems to be the industry typical load weights

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
General guideline...

Flatbed, 49-50k
Step, 46-47k
Dry van, 45-46k
Reefer 44-45k

That's what you should be able to put on the deck and scale at or just under 80k gross.

Who cares about scaling legal

Load like a freight train drive like a airplane

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
That's heavy for a flat! That's reefer tare, unless you're dragging more axles around.

General guideline...

Flatbed, 49-50k
Step, 46-47k
Dry van, 45-46k
Reefer 44-45k
Carhaul - 36,000#

I added the important one. 😁

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
That's heavy for a flat! That's reefer tare, unless you're dragging more axles around.
That’s just a spread axle combo flat or step usually :redface:

I dunno it’s not usually an issue, wonder why we so fat?

I can’t remember if they 110 or 120 gallon tanks, i thought those were small, a lot of guys up here run twin 150 gallon tanks

Mike

Staff member
Weighed empty this morning, a tiny bit more than 7/8 full of fuel. This is with APU, chains, full kitchen with of appliances, clothes, everything. I carry a lot of stuff in the truck.

So, I can easily scale 47k in the box, possibly up to 48k with the APU exemption and watching my fuel.

Steer axle is 13k, tires rates to 14,320, so maxing our the truck is pretty easy as long as the states allow more weight in a steers.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
you have more than enough room for loads.

Never really seen van loads much over 45K.

Being able to carry it is nice. Just means that you are a lightweight otherwise.