Where do you like to truck?

Where do you like to truck?

• The Northeast - because I'm insane. Or I live here.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • The Southeast - because I like crazy humidity, and bugs.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • The Plains - because I like staring at corn, wheat and cows for hours on end.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • The Desert - because Sinister has awesome opinions, and he's right.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I'm a local driver - I'm tired of the same crap but love being home.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • The Pacific NW. Because WA is a great state, and OR sucks too. And 4th of July pass is a great time!

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Oh, Canada. Eh.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Upper Midwest -

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
The amazing thing about the United States, is that while it is very similar everywhere you go, it’s also very different. What I mean is that while you might find a McDonalds, it might or might not have snow on top of it!

I tend to think the country is divided into several regions. My personal favorite is the desert southwest. I like west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and even California. For all the crap drivers have to deal with in Cali, I’ve gone entire days running around Cali, and never once seen a CHP car. Spend 2 days in Ohio, or Illinois, and you’ll probably see at least 15 or 20. Those states are worse than Cali, IMO.

I like the desert. Right now, it’s dark, and I have the door to my motel room wide open and I’m enjoying the night air. Oh yeah, in the daytime its way frickin hot, but even then all you have to do is get out of the sun and the temperature drops about 35 degrees! You have to drink plenty of water, and be careful about working outside. That’s not much different from living in, and working in the extreme cold of the upper Midwest.

The scenery is fantastic.

I don’t even mind the dust storms. I watched one move across the desert once in Eloy as I was getting my truck polished, and it was like the storm swallowed the mountain range I was looking at! That was wild! Driving in them sucks though.

Today, I was walking to the laundry in the motel, and there was a roadrunner walking around by the cactus plants near the pool. I’ve never seen a roadrunner before, and that was pretty cool. I mean, it’s just a stupid bird, but still, that was pretty neat.

I love the smell of the mesquite trees at night.

The highways are often in great condition, because they don’t have salt, and moisture dumped on them year round.

The speed limits are high, because you’re in the middle of nowhere.

I even told my wife that in the event we move out of Wisconsin, it is going to be to someplace in the desert. I just love it here.

Where to you like to truck?

awayigo

I'd choose anywhere west of the MIssissippi River. Having been born and raised in Florida, spent many vacations in the Smokies or up and down the east coast, I always like going west for a change of scenery.

searay

Yachtman
I picked Southeast. I grew up in Chicago and done with the crapy weather. Living in Hotlanta I never go up north during the winter.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
The amazing thing about the United States, is that while it is very similar everywhere you go, it’s also very different. What I mean is that while you might find a McDonalds, it might or might not have snow on top of it!

I tend to think the country is divided into several regions. My personal favorite is the desert southwest. I like west Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and even California. For all the crap drivers have to deal with in Cali, I’ve gone entire days running around Cali, and never once seen a CHP car. Spend 2 days in Ohio, or Illinois, and you’ll probably see at least 15 or 20. Those states are worse than Cali, IMO.

I like the desert. Right now, it’s dark, and I have the door to my motel room wide open and I’m enjoying the night air. Oh yeah, in the daytime its way frickin hot, but even then all you have to do
Posted via Mobile Device

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Im with u i prefer the southwest its peaceful some think its boring but i think parts of the desert is beautiful but i rarely get that way always the midwest and east coast
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike

Staff member
I love running from the southwest/southeast/deep south to California. I just love the more wide open running, faster speeds, and the scenery.

Made a trip up into the Cleveland area last night, reinforce my love for running out west, LOL.

Keendriver

Hates all of you
The northwest. The colors just pop.GREENS,YELLOWS,PURPLES.Columbia river gorge running right down on the river.
Plus my favorite t/s, Jubitz. Live band,COLD beer,hot wings and pool tables.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Vote in the poll Queendriver!

Jubitz?! That's the only truck stop more expensive than Bosselmans.

Yes, the columbia river gorge is truly an awesome sight. It makes the Mississippi look like a stream! You know the coast guard does a lot of thier resuce training where the river meets the pacific, right? I guess that much water dumping into the seas creates great training conditions for them.

But god, I hate driving into there. If you're headed west, it's a really pretty but waaaayyyy too long ride from where the mountains start in Montana, across the frying pan in Washington, and finally into SeaTac. And from the south, you've been doing 55 so damn long you've become a narcoleptic by the time you get there!

Mike

Staff member
I like to hit the mountains once in a while. Usually, once is enough to get me through 6 months or so without seeing them again. Mountains are cool, but I am a guy that is strict about keeping a schedule, and that schedule doesn't factor in slowing down for hills...

2xR

******* Derelict *******
Supporter
I voted NE... I am a glutton for punishment...

I like it because:

• There is at least three different ways to get anywhere.
  • None of the states are big enough to be a problem, very long.
  • Over population tends to reduce the chances of problems with LEOs unless you're doing something waaay "stupit". Safety in numbers.
  • Service facilities are frequent.
  • I like ethnic cooking. Plenty of that driving up the east coast. Bagels rock.
  • They have few manners, thus, I don't have to mind mine. Burrrrppp!
  • When I'm working the truck, I prefer to get in, get it done, and get out. The Yankee lifestyle helps me to do that, without offending the people I must do business with. I hate jawin' about the weather, politics, or, what ails you when I wanna' work. I can't be like that in areas where folks are more "social".
  • My counselor says that if I'm gonna' do drugs, I should have a reason. Running the NE provides a great one.

R

RatRace

Lol, I live in the state that Eloy is in (did you know that Eloy is a huge prison town? I think there are at least 6 prisons in that place!) - I have seen enough of the desert. Mostly, I'm very tired of the 114 degree heat that I have endured this year, as every year, and would love to move on if my whole entire family didn't live here as well. I don't like to drive here - but - I do find that driving the rural routes is nice. I also like the fact that that the interstates almost all have 75mph speed limits - for any kind of vehicle. However, I would have to take exception to the idea that you don't see cops. AZDOT has commercial enforcement vehicles running all over the place, and especially in the area of Eloy and Casa Grande. County sheriffs have commercial vehicle enforcement running everywhere as well, including a lot of Pinal County Sheriff's department officers pulling trucks over on I-10 along with Highway Patrol.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
AZDOT has commercial enforcement vehicles running all over the place, and especially in the area of Eloy and Casa Grande. County sheriffs have commercial vehicle enforcement running everywhere as well, including a lot of Pinal County Sheriff's department officers pulling trucks over on I-10 along with Highway Patrol.
I agree! Now that I think about it, I'm always seeing AZ DOT super duty pickups yanking guys in the Casa Grande, Eloy area.

Also, this last 2 weeks across 10 and back, there were TONS of photo enforcement vehicles along the entire length of I10. The doesn't really bother me that much though. I mean, if a state is gracious enough to grant you a speed limit that high in the middle of nowhere (say from Tonopah to Quartzsite) the least you can do as a professional is drive within reason of the posted limits in the urban areas and the rural ones!

I don't think 55 in Phoenix is out of the question, so I roll through there pretty slow, and I think 70 to 75 is plenty in the rural areas. So I think some of the guys who get yanked for speeding are kind of asking for it anyway!

I read that the #1 reason for random roadsides is because the truck was stopped for speeding to begin with! Which actually makes it not so random...but just imagine that...I mean...what a concept!

Drive like you have some sense, and your problems lessen! HOLY COW. I guess some learn harder than others.

No, I had no idea that there were lots of prisons near Eloy. I guess that's where all the human detritus from Tuscon ends up! :rolllaugh:

Racer X 69

I like driving just about everywhere I take loads to, including Canada. Yes, the North central areas are somewhat boring and some of those states seem to have way too many bored cops looking for trouble.

I have found that the more times I go on a given route the shorter it seems. No, it hasn't physically gotten shorter but each time the trip just feels like it goes by quicker and that can take the sting out of the runs that aren't so enjoyable.

The states with faster speed limits are great, but I like that because I like to haul ass. But I have learned to use the cruise and keep my law bending to 3 mph or so over the limit and so far that has proven out as OK. But I always go the posted speed or a little less in construction zones and when passing through the cities and towns.

Almost every state has scenery of some kind that is easy on the eyes, and you can find sociable and anti-social people most places too. But some states have pretty crappy roads, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, Texas, Illinois, Pennsylvania and Minnesota come to mind.

There is only 5 of the lower 48 states I haven't been to yet, Michigan, Rhode Island, Vermont, Florida and Louisiana. I suppose that my perspective might change if and when I visit them, time will tell.

I just love to drive.

So you need to add a choice to the poll for "I am a glutton for punishment and like it everywhere".

searay

Yachtman
this has been asked before, anyway i stay out of the north during the winter, summertime just north and south.