What's up with the (lack of) winterized diesel fuel this winter season? (2017/2018)

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I heard that tonight at the horseshoe drivers counter, too. Buddy said he heard it from his cousin who's wife's sister is dating a tanker tanker.
Considering the abnormally high number of folks reporting gelling, I tend to agree with that. I've used a heckofa lot more antigel than I usually do, and have not been running in especially cold temperatures.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
What is with TA/Petro cutting back on customer service lately

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That antique qualcomm tho.
Yeah... no desire for more holes drilled in my truck by their monkeys. Besides, I doubt I'd be interested in taking any of that Omnitracs crap with me.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
All the "monkey" at the fuel desk at cenex knew was the fuel was winterized.

Past that, he's an insult to a monkey

The Petro north of Chicago had an electronic sign saying "we have winterized fuel", followed by "world famous Kringle"

I don't know if the two are related....

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Ok the permits lady just walked in and handed me a memo she just received from Pilot. As if she knew...
OMG they're spying on my online activity! TINFOIL!!

Anyway..

20180104_150543.jpg

20180104_150554.jpg

Keendriver

Hates all of you
Maybe Keendriver Keendriver can shed some light on how they winterize the fuel......
Or maybe he still dreams about trailer loads of TP............lmao
I just deliver it.
I suppose I could Google-fu it, but that would require some effort on my part and effort is not my middle name.

Seriously.......not even close.

Mike

Staff member
Ok the permits lady just walked in and handed me a memo she just received from Pilot. As if she knew...
OMG they're spying on my online activity! TINFOIL!!

Anyway..

View attachment 42880

View attachment 42881
In this case, all of Illinois and Iowa should now be getting winter blend fuel. Pretty sure all of both states have dropped down to the required temperature.

Mike

Staff member
What is with TA/Petro cutting back on customer service lately
dunno. I contacted them via email when I started this thread to see if they could provide me with any information to pass along, and got no response at all.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
dunno. I contacted them via email when I started this thread to see if they could provide me with any information to pass along, and got no response at all.
Send another one pretending to be a reporter from Landline. :thumbsup:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Send another one pretending to be a reporter from Landline. :thumbsup:
Better yet, send another one pretending to be the fuel manager from SNI, mad as hell about all the gelled up trucks you've got.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Them being silent is to be expected. No way it can come back to haunt them.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Them being silent is to be expected. No way it can come back to haunt them.
Of course. It comes down to the financial jeopardy that a given consumer presents to a large corporation. Mike Mike Inc? Who cares. An account with thousands of trucks that threatens to pull it's business is going to get a response.

dchawk81

Better yet, send another one pretending to be the fuel manager from SNI, mad as hell about all the gelled up trucks you've got.
Apparently that won't work. I got a message on my Qualcomm saying if the truck won't start because of gelled fuel, turn the key to the on position for about 20 (don't remember if it was seconds or minutes) to make the fuel heater work.

So uh I guess that explains why we haven't been having problems. We have fuel heaters.

Go figure SNI would spend money on something worthwhile.

I'm as shocked as you are.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Apparently that won't work. I got a message on my Qualcomm saying if the truck won't start because of gelled fuel, turn the key to the on position for about 20 (don't remember if it was seconds or minutes) to make the fuel heater work.

So uh I guess that explains why we haven't been having problems. We have fuel heaters.

Go figure SNI would spend money on something worthwhile.

I'm as shocked as you are.
Yeah, run down your already frozen batteries. Brilliant.

Leaving the key on runs an electric heater in the fuel filter base.

Throw a battery charger on it first.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Those wimpy heaters in the filter base aren't really to heat fuel anyways. They're to keep any moisture in liquid form so it will drain. Even at a 10 amp draw, that's only 140W.

1515178101893.png

Racor used to make a filter housing designed to heat fuel, but it was rigged up with a 6 or 8 gauge wire, too.

dchawk81

So do all trucks have them?