What's up with the (lack of) winterized diesel fuel this winter season? (2017/2018)

RamblingPete

I'm gonna say something but either y'all won't believe me or maybe think I'm the luckiest guy you've ever met . In almost 8 years of driving all 48 states I have only added anti gel to my fuel ONCE . Yes with one exception, I have never added anti gel to my fuel . Only reason I added it the one time I did was because I knew truck would be sitting for a few days in cold weather .

Update...

River Country Plaza in Cadot "Cenex" off route 29 offers Diesel #1 at a higher price

Petro Rochelle Illinois off I-39 offers straight #2 at some of their pumps for a nickel/dime a gallon more than bio-blend stuff

I'm gonna say something but either y'all won't believe me or maybe think I'm the luckiest guy you've ever met . In almost 8 years of driving all 48 states I have only added anti gel to my fuel ONCE . Yes with one exception, I have never added anti gel to my fuel . Only reason I added it the one time I did was because I knew truck would be sitting for a few days in cold weather .
Welp RamblingPete RamblingPete where ya based out of and whats your regular run..

Its been years since I hadda actually Diesel 911 and pull a fuel filter due to Gelling..

That said I always treat my fuel in winter.

I live here in the Midwest so even the smallest companies buy the same stuff in 50 gallon drums and refill your jugs or single serve cases by the pallet..

The few larger Carriers I worked for ya could buy it at a truckstop on Fuel Card..

Subzero Temps atleast here I know the Deisel 1 stops and even if its an extra 60/70 cents per gallon I fuel

They ***** about it sometimes though I point out its CHAEPER than a Breakdown..

Also below 25 I aint shutting my truck off it idles 24/7..

The warm fuel your engine couldlnt use kicks back over..

Knock on Wood of cousre "True"...

Yet this last winter was pretty Brutal and no problems running UP Michigan and Northern Wisconsin

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I believe ya! I have never added anti-gel in my 20 years. One company at year 20 provided and wanted anti-gel used.
I never really used it. if I fueled in the south, I would be sure to run down the tanks and get that northern fuel on the way up.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I believe ya! I have never added anti-gel in my 20 years. One company at year 20 provided and wanted anti-gel used.
I never really used it. if I fueled in the south, I would be sure to run down the tanks and get that northern fuel on the way up.
Ounce of prevention...

Talked with some PFJ and TA managers over the winter. They only add enough no. 1 diesel to prevent the swill from gelling in their tanks. Once we pump it, its our problem. That's what the ****ers told me. It used to be that the truck stops actually took some pride in the service and product they delivered to us.

No more.

Its our problem.

I'd rather spend some bucks on antigel than pay those ****ers to thaw my truck.

:mad-97:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Cenex winter blend fuel according to the manager, treated for -35°F

IMG_20171228_082813587.jpg

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Ounce of prevention...

Talked with some PFJ and TA managers over the winter. They only add enough no. 1 diesel to prevent the swill from gelling in their tanks. Once we pump it, its our problem. That's what the ****ers told me. It used to be that the truck stops actually took some pride in the service and product they delivered to us.

No more.

Its our problem.

I'd rather spend some bucks on antigel than pay those ****ers to thaw my truck.

:mad-97:
I agree with you 100%
Unfortunately most companies did not provide anti-gel, nor would they reimburse a driver for suck a purchase

Mike

Staff member
It's that time of year again!

After this past season of fighting with clogged filters, I will be taking a new approach with this winter season and treating all the fuel that goes into my tank starting this month. Basically, I plan on running winter treatment in my fuel from October 1, to April 1.

Wasn't able to start at the very beginning of this month, but I got my first case of winter treatment at home as of today (just arrived), and will be putting some of it in the truck as soon as I get home in the next couple days (maybe tomorrow).

What I won't be doing is buying product off the shelves of the truck stop this year. This year, I will be testing out a product from Primrose. The product I am using this winter is their 5757 Winter Klenz. If you want to read the specifics, I am attaching a PDF. If the product works as advertised, I will likely be using their products in both winter and summer.

Attachments

AK7

After this past season of fighting with clogged filters, I will be taking a new approach with this winter season and treating all the fuel that goes into my tank starting this month. Basically, I plan on running winter treatment in my fuel from October 1, to April 1.

Wasn't able to start at the very beginning of this month, but I got my first case of winter treatment at home as of today (just arrived), and will be putting some of it in the truck as soon as I get home in the next couple days (maybe tomorrow).

What I won't be doing is buying product off the shelves of the truck stop this year. This year, I will be testing out a product from Primrose. The product I am using this winter is their 5757 Winter Klenz. If you want to read the specifics, I am attaching a PDF. If the product works as advertised, I will likely be using their products in both winter and summer.
Thanks for being the guinea pig.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Sure glad I don't have a finicky engine...

:rolleyes-80:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter

The owner of one company that I work for wanted us to use diesel treatment at every fuel up and it was provided at the yard. Expensive, yes but, not as expensive as a road side service call.

Other places I have worked at did not provide diesel treatment but, I was always sure to top up my tanks with northern fuel on the way up from the south. Sure, I could make it home on full tanks from Florida, but it could possibly gel.

The owner of one company that I work for wanted us to use diesel treatment at every fuel up and it was provided at the yard. Expensive, yes but, not as expensive as a road side service call.

Other places I have worked at did not provide diesel treatment but, I was always sure to top up my tanks with northern fuel on the way up from the south. Sure, I could make it home on full tanks from Florida, but it could possibly gel.
How come, in certain places, they offer #1 and #2 fuel? We don’t have that option, that I’ve seen

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
How come, in certain places, they offer #1 and #2 fuel? We don’t have that option, that I’ve seen
#1 diesel is basically kerosene that doesn't gel at low temperatures the way #2 does. #1 doesn't produce very good fuel economy either, so most folks don't use it if its not necessary.

Hope that helps ya out rookie.

Mike

Staff member
Not sure why more places don't make it available, but I basically gave up on seeking out a good network of fuel stops that offer the #1 and have opted to simply treat all the fuel going into my tanks. Not just because of gelling/icing at this point, but because of the rest of the crap that finds it's way into our fuel these days.

Not sure why more places don't make it available, but I basically gave up on seeking out a good network of fuel stops that offer the #1 and have opted to simply treat all the fuel going into my tanks. Not just because of gelling/icing at this point, but because of the rest of the crap that finds it's way into our fuel these days.
Do you have any algae issues?

Mike

Staff member
Do you have any algae issues?
Not currently. I think I had algae when I first got the truck, as the truck has sit with less than half a tank of fuel for no telling how long. A heavy dose of chemicals, combined with finally getting into winter weather seemed to clear it up.

Think I had an algae issue after my truck was down for an extended time during the spring as well. it was either algae, or just sediment due to sitting for so long. Probably contributed to my injectors going out immediately after the head replacement.

At the time I started running the Primrose in my tanks (only on my 2nd fillup since starting), there was some junk down in the tank. I could see it floating around some inside. Actually considered running the tanks low, and getting them cleaned, but decided to see what happens after some steady use of additives in the fuel.

Mike

Staff member
Started running Power Service in my tanks around the middle of September or so while waiting for my Primrose additive to arrive at my house.

Started using Primrose on October 9th. The 1400 miles on that first tank was North/South running, strong cross and head winds, and a pretty significant drop in temps for the first time this year. Managed 7.42 on that tank typically cruising at 60.

3A62A811-1DB5-400C-9C12-D38B390EA6D6.png

Not currently. I think I had algae when I first got the truck, as the truck has sit with less than half a tank of fuel for no telling how long. A heavy dose of chemicals, combined with finally getting into winter weather seemed to clear it up.

Think I had an algae issue after my truck was down for an extended time during the spring as well. it was either algae, or just sediment due to sitting for so long. Probably contributed to my injectors going out immediately after the head replacement.

At the time I started running the Primrose in my tanks (only on my 2nd fillup since starting), there was some junk down in the tank. I could see it floating around some inside. Actually considered running the tanks low, and getting them cleaned, but decided to see what happens after some steady use of additives in the fuel.
What’d you use? The power service cleaner?

Buddy of mine his fuel was a grayish brownish. The fresh diesel I had in cans was the yellowy green. Very surprising to compare the difference. I should actually put some in water bottles to compare

Mike

Staff member
What’d you use? The power service cleaner?

Buddy of mine his fuel was a grayish brownish. The fresh diesel I had in cans was the yellowy green. Very surprising to compare the difference. I should actually put some in water bottles to compare
Power service cleaner and hot shots fuel additive, back when hot shots worked really well. Different people making their stuff now.