What's up with the (lack of) winterized diesel fuel this winter season? (2017/2018)

Mike

Staff member
Thread starter #261
That's screwy! I'm too lazy at the moment to do the math, but there's a hella difference in btu/gal between 1 & 2. Those mpg numbers should be reversed! Reckon the additives were screwing up combustion that badly?
Most likely it was fuel flow.

My truck has a restriction gauge. Truck ran down the road fine, but was pegging out the restriction gauge for much of the day this week when the fuel was super cold.

Additives supposedly change the shape of the molecules in bio, so they can flow through the filter. With our series 60's and the small micron filters, I think the shape changing is doing little to no good.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Most likely it was fuel flow.

My truck has a restriction gauge. Truck ran down the road fine, but was pegging out the restriction gauge for much of the day this week when the fuel was super cold.

Additives supposedly change the shape of the molecules in bio, so they can flow through the filter. With our series 60's and the small micron filters, I think the shape changing is doing little to no good.
I asked the shop boss at VW a few years ago why they don't spec restriction gauges. He said drivers would be calling and whining every time it went up a little bit.

The last two of their trucks I drove had restriction gauges in them. So I stopped in his office and asked if drivers were calling him every time it went up. He said some of them do but most of them are too stupid to know what it's for, it's why we gotta run automatics.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
That's screwy! I'm too lazy at the moment to do the math, but there's a hella difference in btu/gal between 1 & 2. Those mpg numbers should be reversed! Reckon the additives were screwing up combustion that badly?
I think @Mike is headed in the right direction with fuel restrictions.

My davco was constantly flooded until ambient temperature warmed up. Then the level went to normal. With #1, you get zero biodiesel. So the fuel filter is flowing normal like it should and has never flooded itself.

Something is off in the fuel this year like back in 2013. Additives just don't seem to be blending in with the fuel. I think it's called stratification.

Mike

Staff member
Thread starter #264
I think @Mike is headed in the right direction with fuel restrictions.

My davco was constantly flooded until ambient temperature warmed up. Then the level went to normal. With #1, you get zero biodiesel. So the fuel filter is flowing normal like it should and has never flooded itself.

Something is off in the fuel this year like back in 2013. Additives just don't seem to be blending in with the fuel. I think it's called stratification.
Ran my tanks almost dry this week, fueled up at the Love’s in Iowa east of Council Bluffs yesterday. Added power service accordingly.

Parked in York, NE last night. Temp is 1 this morning

image.jpg

New fuel filter, restriction around 2 yesterday.

Leaving in a few minutes, this will go significantly higher when I get on the road, until the fuel warms up.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Ran my tanks almost dry this week, fueled up at the Love’s in Iowa east of Council Bluffs yesterday. Added power service accordingly.

Parked in York, NE last night. Temp is 1 this morning

View attachment 43369

New fuel filter, restriction around 2 yesterday.

Leaving in a few minutes, this will go significantly higher when I get on the road, until the fuel warms up.
So you filled your tanks with soybeans again?
With #1, you get zero biodiesel
Pretty sure I saw some in Wisconsin that had bio in it. Not this year but in the past. The J in Black River Falls if I remember correctly.

Mike

Staff member
Thread starter #266
So you filled your tanks with soybeans again?
Supposedly, they meter out the bio when winterizing, per the Love's documentation about winterized fuel. It worked better than what I got close to home. Restriction climbed up to around 7, stopped in Belleville, KS and topped off again at Loves( about 110 gallons). Left there, and restriction was up to 9. Started falling as I got to Oklahoma, down to normal before OKC.

Hood's Truck Stop just west of Springfield, Mo runs zero BIO in their fuel, they actually advertise it on their sign. Thinking this is going to become my primary stop. Workman's Hilltop, just north of Fort Smith, AR I also think has no bio. they have another location in Ozark, AR. going to get in contact with those folks and see for sure, because they might become my go to places when running south of home.

Maybe time to create a resource on the forum and start pinpointing all the locations that are non bio, and/or sell #1 fuel.

Seems like the big travel centers have all but stopped giving a flip about how they winterize their fuel.

Mike

Staff member
Thread starter #268
I created it. Going to organize it as time allows. I think there is a simple add-on that will even allow me to put in google maps of the actual location. This is something I look all over for on the net, and never find anything worthwhile.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Fueled up with 190 gallons fuel in Alamogordo NM last week. Got 6.2 mpg running from there to blytheville ark. Fueled at Love's in blytheville, 186 gallons, and again in Zanesville Ohio. From blytheville, to Pittsburgh to clear lake IA, got 4.9 mpg.

Fueled at Kwik Star with 80/20 blend. To Fargo ND back to Sauk centre mn and then put on 110 gallon straight #1 diesel. Got 5.2 mpg. Currently about a 60% blend. Bunk heater and Apu are running much better again tonight.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Topped off with winter blend at Kwik Star in Clear Lake Iowa. 44 gallon from Sauk centre.

60% #1 got 5.5 mpg

Pine Cone. 94 and 26. Johnson creek.
No #1 but good winterized fuel.
You won't find #1 till you get farther north.
Going to be -13 here tonite.
Osseo Plaza I-94 exit 88 sells #1 blend..

Its $3.79 a gallon but they sell it

Here @Mike ABBYLAND Truckstop Curtiss Wisconsin off Route 29 ...

Winterized Disel though they call it premium but sign says winterized

AK7

The new Kwik Trip in Carlton,Mn. I35 and hwy 210 has number 1 at the pump.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
The new Kwik Trip in Carlton,Mn. I35 and hwy 210 has number 1 at the pump.
Near esko and cloquet..

Say @AK7 do they still have that old Spur Truckstop...

Havent been out that way in ages