What's up with the (lack of) winterized diesel fuel this winter season? (2017/2018)

Mike

Staff member
Tried one more time shutting the truck off all night. Not taking that chance again tonight. It's times like this when I wish I had crappy fuel economy for a day or so anyway so I could get all this fuel out of the tanks.

Temp got down to around 5 last night. It was basically 5-6 when I parked at the shipper and never changed all evening or overnight. Still 5 when I woke up this morning.

Figured I would wake up early, start the truck, and let the fuel start cycling and warming up while idling for a couple hours. At best, it might have helped prevent me from shutting down on the side of the road this morning.

When I started the truck, fuel restriction immediately rose to around 6 on the gauge. More proof to me that none of the additives do anything to help bio flow through a fuel filter. Looked at the fuel in the Davco, it looked fine. Filter was completely full once again, but the fuel looked good. Cranked up the heater, climbed back under the covers.

Hour later, I get a knock on the door. Asks for my pickup number, tells me to back into a door. At that point, truck had been idling an hour, and the restriction had climbed up to almost 9. by the time I was loaded, it was over 10.

Got out on the highway, and it was immediately up to 17, red light on. 120 miles into my day, we were riding on 20, which is as far as the gauge goes.

outside temp was climbing up to around 15 at that point, and the restriction gradually began to decrease. By the time I got around Chicago and into Indiana, it was down to around 2 on the gauge where it belongs.

Im at the Love's in Plymouth, IN, getting loaded at Pioneer across the street int he morning. Fuel level is still between 1/2 and 3/4. Considered filling up here and seeing how it worked out by shutting the truck off. Decided against it, going to run the truck tonight for the first time, and hopefully only time.

Gonna run this tank out a bit more, at least into Iowa tomorrow, then fill up before I get to a parking place for the day.

dchawk81

Tried one more time shutting the truck off all night. Not taking that chance again tonight. It's times like this when I wish I had crappy fuel economy for a day or so anyway so I could get all this fuel out of the tanks.

Temp got down to around 5 last night. It was basically 5-6 when I parked at the shipper and never changed all evening or overnight. Still 5 when I woke up this morning.

Figured I would wake up early, start the truck, and let the fuel start cycling and warming up while idling for a couple hours. At best, it might have helped prevent me from shutting down on the side of the road this morning.

When I started the truck, fuel restriction immediately rose to around 6 on the gauge. More proof to me that none of the additives do anything to help bio flow through a fuel filter. Looked at the fuel in the Davco, it looked fine. Filter was completely full once again, but the fuel looked good. Cranked up the heater, climbed back under the covers.

Hour later, I get a knock on the door. Asks for my pickup number, tells me to back into a door. At that point, truck had been idling an hour, and the restriction had climbed up to almost 9. by the time I was loaded, it was over 10.

Got out on the highway, and it was immediately up to 17, red light on. 120 miles into my day, we were riding on 20, which is as far as the gauge goes.

outside temp was climbing up to around 15 at that point, and the restriction gradually began to decrease. By the time I got around Chicago and into Indiana, it was down to around 2 on the gauge where it belongs.

Im at the Love's in Plymouth, IN, getting loaded at Pioneer across the street int he morning. Fuel level is still between 1/2 and 3/4. Considered filling up here and seeing how it worked out by shutting the truck off. Decided against it, going to run the truck tonight for the first time, and hopefully only time.

Gonna run this tank out a bit more, at least into Iowa tomorrow, then fill up before I get to a parking place for the day.
Wow that standing table makes you wordy.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
5.4 mpg again.

Got 118 gal at Love's in uttica il.

Math works out to be still at 32% blend.

Truck is shutoff again tonight.

Filter level hasn't moved since I started using nothing but #1 when I blend.

Fuel mileage is up 0.3-0.4 mpg too.

Mike

Staff member
Truck is shutoff again tonight
It's weird. A few short years ago, I was almost impossible for me to sleep with the truck shut off. Now, it bugs me when it is running and I am laying down.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I don't worry about shutting off my truck until it gets below zero. I'll start it and idle for an hour or so a couple of times. Below -10... it ain't getting turned off.

Mike

Staff member
I don't worry about shutting off my truck until it gets below zero. I'll start it and idle for an hour or so a couple of times. Below -10... it ain't getting turned off.
Typically the same for me. with this batch of fuel though, I'm having all sorts of problems.

Duck

Quack
Supporter

How much fuel does your truck carry?

You oughta just throw some kerosene in there. It's basically just #1 just more expensive. Like $4-5 a gallon.

I have no idea what the sulfur content in it is, which is why I wouldn't put it in an emissions truck.

No idea what jet fuel costs or if they'd even let you buy it without pumping it directly into a plane but it gets like minus 70 degrees at 40,000 feet. Unless their tanks are heated I'd assume that stuff don't gel up.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
How much fuel does your truck carry?

You oughta just throw some kerosene in there. It's basically just #1 just more expensive. Like $4-5 a gallon.

I have no idea what the sulfur content in it is, which is why I wouldn't put it in an emissions truck.

No idea what jet fuel costs or if they'd even let you buy it without pumping it directly into a plane but it gets like minus 70 degrees at 40,000 feet. Unless their tanks are heated I'd assume that stuff don't gel up.
Jet-A is basically kerosene.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
JP-8 is used by the army in everything. We converted over back in the 90's. Think biodiesel will clean your system out. Holy crap was that a nightmare.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Jet-A is basically kerosene.
Yeah when I lived 3 blocks from an airport, the pilots I mooched free flight instruction from used Jet-A in their kerosene heaters to heat their hangars. They said it didn't stink as bad as kerosene but I think they just used it because it was sold right there and kerosene required driving about 5 miles.

Back in those days gas was just over a dollar, 100LL and 80 octane were about $2 a gallon. No idea how much jet fuel was. I bought 80 octane for the go-kart once.

dchawk81

It's weird. A few short years ago, I was almost impossible for me to sleep with the truck shut off. Now, it bugs me when it is running and I am laying down.
Yeah cuz it keeps accessing your wallet.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I've been wondering how biodiesel would work in a kerosene heater. Like if it's cleaner emissions. Indoors where it actually matters to people who don't believe in the fairy tales.

Obviously it'd be useless if it's gelled up but I keep my shop at 45 degrees when I'm not in there. If I wanta heat up the shop quickly (to 70 degrees) I use the torpedo heater to assist the propane furnace. So gelling won't be a problem unless I use it outdoors for some reason like to warm up truck batteries.

Mike

Staff member
New tank of fuel as of this morning. Getting really cold again tonight and hoping that buying fuel in Iowa this morning takes care of the issue I was having.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It'll be interesting to see how much it makes a difference. I was having zero issues the more ran true #1. Like it cleaned out the biodiesel.

Now that I'm back to running #2 pump fuel and whatever blend **** they have. It's going to be interesting to see how much problems I have.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
It'll be interesting to see how much it makes a difference. I was having zero issues the more ran true #1. Like it cleaned out the biodiesel.

Now that I'm back to running #2 pump fuel and whatever blend **** they have. It's going to be interesting to see how much problems I have.
What did the #1 do to your fuel economy?

I see that 5.4 mpg in a previous post but compared to what? What's it get on straight #2 with additives?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
I was 4.8-5.1 running additives.

I was 5.4-5.7 this week running 30-70% #1.
That's screwy! I'm too lazy at the moment to do the math, but there's a hella difference in btu/gal between 1 & 2. Those mpg numbers should be reversed! Reckon the additives were screwing up combustion that badly?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
That's screwy! I'm too lazy at the moment to do the math, but there's a hella difference in btu/gal between 1 & 2. Those mpg numbers should be reversed! Reckon the additives were screwing up combustion that badly?
Flatbed. Weather. Wind, etc. Probably enough variables there to make my asking about it pointless.