what's the best companies to drive for in reefer?

baileyjl1983

The last place I drove for just went out of business last month. I am looking to stay with reefer but don't know enough about the companies available to make a decision. I am thinking about doing a lease option as I would like to run my own truck. I only have a little over 2yrs of civilian OTR. Everything else is military. I would like to get the input of some fellow drivers to help my decision. Thank you.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Use your GI bennies to take some business management classes. As well as collect some UI since your company went out of business.

Don't need to complete a 4 year degree, just enough to help give you that edge.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
With unemployment, post 9/11 and all the other GI bennies you get, you'd earn more than working.

Btdtgts....

2009, I got laid off from an engineering position. It paid better to take the job retraining pay and everything else vets than to jump back into the work force.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
With unemployment, post 9/11 and all the other GI bennies you get, you'd earn more than working.

Btdtgts....

2009, I got laid off from an engineering position. It paid better to take the job retraining pay and everything else vets than to jump back into the work force.
There are some of us who don't want to live on unemployment.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
He's also earned his GI bill which should more than cover training.

Through no fault of his own, he's also dislocated worker. And since he's also been paying taxes, earned that assistance.

Theres a difference between being a leech and using what you've earned

GroceryHauler

He's also earned his GI bill which should more than cover training.

Through no fault of his own, he's also dislocated worker. And since he's also been paying taxes, earned that assistance.

Theres a difference between being a leech and using what you've earned
He MIGHT have taken the GI Bill. It's not mandatory. He may still have benefits as a veteran though.

TruckerSHARKy3367

Well I think my company pays the most as a Company driver and is the best reefer Company on the block.Been thru lease options they are a joke.Want to be a owner operator take loan from bank and buy the truck no credit then be a company driver......owner operators pay for everything as it is their business some make it some fail should have at least 5 yrs and over 10 k in case you get a truck and something goes wrong or breaks down. Fuel getting expensive,that makes everything go up as well tires engine parts etc. ,don’t for get you must pay your own taxes you must need knowledge how to budget,handle your expenses ,record keeping....same must think ahead and do pre emotive maintenance after all that if you can keep $0.65 a mile getting paid $1.09 a mile on a lease purchase....being a company driver like what I do refrigerated ....average per mile at this moment is $0.921 a mile I am making I came to this company after a lease purchase company tried to screw me ...now don’t forget retirement savings too cheaper benefits but top benefits at low cost when I was a lease purchase I had to pay for my own health insurance very expensive....if you work for yourself and forbid anything health problem happens your money is yours ssi will give you low end but you average higher pay as a company driver they go by last quarter to determine your benefits

Attachments

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Well I think my company pays the most as a Company driver and is the best reefer Company on the block.Been thru lease options they are a joke.Want to be a owner operator take loan from bank and buy the truck no credit then be a company driver......owner operators pay for everything as it is their business some make it some fail should have at least 5 yrs and over 10 k in case you get a truck and something goes wrong or breaks down. Fuel getting expensive,that makes everything go up as well tires engine parts etc. ,don’t for get you must pay your own taxes you must need knowledge how to budget,handle your expenses ,record keeping....same must think ahead and do pre emotive maintenance after all that if you can keep $0.65 a mile getting paid $1.09 a mile on a lease purchase....being a company driver like what I do refrigerated ....average per mile at this moment is $0.921 a mile I am making I came to this company after a lease purchase company tried to screw me ...now don’t forget retirement savings too cheaper benefits but top benefits at low cost when I was a lease purchase I had to pay for my own health insurance very expensive....if you work for yourself and forbid anything health problem happens your money is yours ssi will give you low end but you average higher pay as a company driver they go by last quarter to determine your benefits
ok. so after deductions you actually made $820.69, (your first pic) and you still had to pay your health benefits?

i net more than that each week as a company driver. i don;t see how you are driving for the best company with a lease plan.

when all is said and done, you gotta be taking home less than $600 weekly. that to me, is chump change.

good luck to you

TruckerSHARKy3367

No one pic I took home 1000 something other I took home over 1100 after taxes deductions had no fuel expense because my job is based as a Company driver not a lease operator but if you do a lease option for another company they are paying $1.07 a mile on average after you expenses really don’t make better money with a a lease purchase So I’m am a certified company driver Company pays per deim they pay me for break down,inclement weather safety bonuses mileage bonuses no lease company pays that and my average pay per mile as a Company driver I’m making $0.921 per mile

TruckerSHARKy3367

Company drivers not making $0.59 cents a mile you are being ripped off plus if you don’t get per deim paid by your company as a company driver you are really getting screwed call me I will explain what I’m doing 610 780 6099 they call me SHARKy my personal name is James

joseph1135

I drive for Lessors since 2007. Are the best? Probably not. But new equipment all the time without breakdowns and pay is on time and in full every week and no hand holding. I can’t complain.

dave350

Don't need to complete a 4 year degree, just enough to help give you that edge
There’s also another possible option. I’m not sure about other states but in Md some of the county libraries offer free access to Gale Courses. These are online courses that usually cost about $100. I’ve taken some of the classes myself (usually in winter).
They offer a very diverse selection including business, money management, investing, computer software training. I’ve taken courses in some of the subjects I’ve mentioned, including some grammar and writing classes and I would say they’re worth the time.

Check your local library and also other libraries around PA. If they don’t offer them than you can get an out of state library card from MD for $25. You’d want Howard or Cecil county for the Gale courses.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
There’s also another possible option. I’m not sure about other states but in Md some of the county libraries offer free access to Gale Courses. These are online courses that usually cost about $100. I’ve taken some of the classes myself (usually in winter).
They offer a very diverse selection including business, money management, investing, computer software training. I’ve taken courses in some of the subjects I’ve mentioned, including some grammar and writing classes and I would say they’re worth the time.

Check your local library and also other libraries around PA. If they don’t offer them than you can get an out of state library card from MD for $25. You’d want Howard or Cecil county for the Gale courses.
Exactly it's called professional development.

I try to do 10-15 hours s year.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Get an audiobook on whatever subject you want to take up. We all have 70 hours per week we can devote to that.