Whatcha Reading?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The Lions of Iwo Jima by Fred Haynes, MG USMC, Ret.

MG Haynes was the operations officer of the 28th Regiment of the 5th Marine Division. As a young captain, he hit the beach on Iwo on D-Day, and was one of the few who came ashore that day who could march off the island a month later. He was a witness to one of the bloodiest battles of WWII in its entirety.

We usually think of the battle in terms of the flag raising on Mt Suribachi (2nd Battalion of the 28th) - which was but a small part of the operation. This is the best history of Iwo that I've ever read, connecting the fighting, the terrain, the men, and the reasons that the tactics used were employed.

Semper Fi!

Last edited:
I was in a hole in the wall bar here and there was a table of four guys. Everytime I stepped out for a smoke they would say go home white boy. I would walk back in and they had nothing to say.It was only the four of them and one of me and the two owners so, 7 people.

They closed down because, well, four racist assholes can not keep a bar open.
Another friend of mine was there at different time and was told to leave because they didn't like his kind;)
We don't like your kind either. But tolerate you because your side of the falls is nicer.

dave350

Warren Buffet Philosophy of Investment.
Elena Chirkova
Good read. But I’m a Buffet fan so I’m biased.

Race and Economics
Thomas Howell

Race and Economics has been a slow read. It’s interesting but dry so I wind up putting it down for a while and going back to it. It mostly focuses on the economics of blacks during and after slavery. He also mentions Jews, Irish and West Indians also.

I’m getting ready to head up to the library to pick up
“I Love Capitalism” by Ken Langone.
He seems like an interesting dude.