Whatcha Reading?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The Lions of Iwo Jima by Fred Haynes, MG USMC, Ret.

MG Haynes was the operations officer of the 28th Regiment of the 5th Marine Division. As a young captain, he hit the beach on Iwo on D-Day, and was one of the few who came ashore that day who could march off the island a month later. He was a witness to one of the bloodiest battles of WWII in its entirety.

We usually think of the battle in terms of the flag raising on Mt Suribachi (2nd Battalion of the 28th) - which was but a small part of the operation. This is the best history of Iwo that I've ever read, connecting the fighting, the terrain, the men, and the reasons that the tactics used were employed.

Semper Fi!

Last edited:

dchawk81

Supporter
I was in a hole in the wall bar here and there was a table of four guys. Everytime I stepped out for a smoke they would say go home white boy. I would walk back in and they had nothing to say.It was only the four of them and one of me and the two owners so, 7 people.

They closed down because, well, four racist assholes can not keep a bar open.
Another friend of mine was there at different time and was told to leave because they didn't like his kind;)
We don't like your kind either. But tolerate you because your side of the falls is nicer.

dave350

Warren Buffet Philosophy of Investment.
Elena Chirkova
Good read. But I’m a Buffet fan so I’m biased.

Race and Economics
Thomas Howell

Race and Economics has been a slow read. It’s interesting but dry so I wind up putting it down for a while and going back to it. It mostly focuses on the economics of blacks during and after slavery. He also mentions Jews, Irish and West Indians also.

I’m getting ready to head up to the library to pick up
“I Love Capitalism” by Ken Langone.
He seems like an interesting dude.

tommyh

last night and today I read some of Dr Carl Jung experience with .....delusions,the physce etc

(((ME)))

Over the years have been slowly building a home library. A collection of a little bit of everything. Well anyway got a small trailer of books in and in sorting threw them found one book that dated back to 1920.....some 98 years ago....still in good shape.

dave350

Over the years have been slowly building a home library. A collection of a little bit of everything. Well anyway got a small trailer of books in and in sorting threw them found one book that dated back to 1920.....some 98 years ago....still in good shape.
If you stumble across “Margin of Safety” by Seth Klarman that book is going for $700 to $1000 on Internet. I managed to find it for free in a pdf format.

That’s a cool project you got going. :thumbsup:

(((ME)))

If you stumble across “Margin of Safety” by Seth Klarman that book is going for $700 to $1000 on Internet. I managed to find it for free in a pdf format.

That’s a cool project you got going. :thumbsup:
I know some of those book fetch a hefty price.
Some fall out of production or copy write or into hands of collectors.
The project is interesting provides a hunt n seek and find lol

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Freedom's Forge by Authur Herman - we all read how we won the big battles in WWII. None of those battles would have been won if we had produced the tools of war like the rest of the world. American business, and the non-structured civillian direction of production gave us the world's largest Navy and Air Force and a magnificently equipped Army. This is the story of how we outproduced the world, and got a jump on the Axis at the start.

It's a good story.

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Probably my next read will be the company drivers handbook I was issued 2 and a half years ago.
I was told to read it on my free time. I have not even opened the cover or read the cover. I have not had any free time! (that I am willing to give away to read this thing.)

dchawk81

Supporter
When I'm told to read something at my leisure, I tell them I don't have a leisure. They went out years ago.

Fageol

Old acid hauler but not too caustic
Whatcha reading now? Or list your favorite authors, series, genre etc.....
"Blink" by Gladwell. His books, e.g. "The Tipping Point," are interesting. And some of the information in "Blink" might help explain the difference in truckers as in the way an experienced trucker sizes up a situation versus the way an inexperienced trucker sizes up the same situation.

(((ME)))

I am reading.....The Prophesies Of Nostradamus .
Example
When the fish which is of land and sea
Is beached in a strong sea
With strange and power form
The enemy will be at the walls by the sea.
[D-Day , world war 11??] .