What is your driving exp + cpm?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
He’s a slacker. He used to be cool. He used to actually truck for a living

Mike, Sinister, that keener guy....has beens and wannabes :(

The only old guy that’s still getting ‘er done around here is Hammer166 Hammer166 :D
I work my ass off, but if we're comparing miles, I'll come up short. It's not unusual for me to only drive 200 miles in a 14 hour day. A lot of days I spend more time walking to fetch cars than I do driving. I've probably only done a couple 700 mile days in the last year.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I work my ass off, but if we're comparing miles, I'll come up short. It's not unusual for me to only drive 200 miles in a 14 hour day. A lot of days I spend more time walking to fetch cars than I do driving. I've probably only done a couple 700 mile days in the last year.
Is that counting all the miles spent driving the cars in parking lots? :D

Have you ever delivered the wrong car to the wrong dealer? I hate that doing LTL deliveries of equipment, I always check and double check the serial numbers. Sometimes it’s not too bad and the model numbers are a giveaway.

I delivered a new car wash to a new car dealer once. Then I took the old one back. Never did figure out why they wanted the old one back

Mike

Staff member
I barely broke 300 miles any day this week. Seriously slacking

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Is that counting all the miles spent driving the cars in parking lots? :D

Have you ever delivered the wrong car to the wrong dealer? I hate that doing LTL deliveries of equipment, I always check and double check the serial numbers. Sometimes it’s not too bad and the model numbers are a giveaway.

I delivered a new car wash to a new car dealer once. Then I took the old one back. Never did figure out why they wanted the old one back
Never on direct pickup from the ramp. Sometimes we grab units from one ramp that we mix in with units at the other ramp. So you'll have 8 or 9 units for various dealers that get staged at the 2nd ramp for a few days. I've grabbed the wrong one if those before. I'd parked them so I knew which were for what dealer, and never even looked at the sticker to verify when I grabbed it. Dealer didn't notice until later, either. Just grabbed it a few days later when I was there again.

I barely broke 300 miles any day this week. Seriously slacking
I clear far more on my 200 mile days than I do on my 600 mile days. Work a lot harder (3 or 4 loads vs 1) but that's a couple hundred dollars of fuel difference.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I've had dispatchers tell me, "this is a great paying load. Pays $500 and only goes 100 miles. You're getting $5/mile."

I have to wait until the afternoon to load. Day one wasted.

I have to waste day two waiting for the unload appointment.

And then I have to waste day three trying to get into the reload they repositioned me for.

It would have been far better to just bounce the 350 miles to the final reload than screw with that "$5/mile" bullshit load that's now cost me $1200.

Mike

Staff member
I've had dispatchers tell me, "this is a great paying load. Pays $500 and only goes 100 miles. You're getting $5/mile."

And then I have to waste day three trying to get into the reload they repositioned me for.

It would have been far better to just bounce the 350 miles to the final reload than screw with that "$5/mile" bullshit load that's now cost me $1200.
Time spent on load is a factor often overlooked.

Those $500 loads are very seldom truly profitable. They can only work when they are going in a smooth pickup and delivery flow, and there is just no way to truly predict that. I will do them sometimes after a delivery of the rates where I am are bad and it gets me to a good place for another load. Usually, however, I will push several of these $500 loads til one breaks to $750/$800.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Never on direct pickup from the ramp. Sometimes we grab units from one ramp that we mix in with units at the other ramp. So you'll have 8 or 9 units for various dealers that get staged at the 2nd ramp for a few days. I've grabbed the wrong one if those before. I'd parked them so I knew which were for what dealer, and never even looked at the sticker to verify when I grabbed it. Dealer didn't notice until later, either. Just grabbed it a few days later when I was there again.

I clear far more on my 200 mile days than I do on my 600 mile days. Work a lot harder (3 or 4 loads vs 1) but that's a couple hundred dollars of fuel difference.
I don’t mind short haul flatbed work, LTL is alright too.
Doing short haul or LTL with a ****sucking rolltite makes for a long day of ****ing around.
What’s that old saying about slamming your hand in the door a few times so you’re mad enough to get after it? That’s LTL with a ****sucking rolltite.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter

Even rail pays better than that. $196 30 miles drop & hook.

THBatMan8

At UPS, I'm paid by the hour and not by the mile. The starting pay for seasonals at my DC is $30 an hour with time and a half after 8 hours a day and/or 40 hours a week. So, if I work/clock in 12 hours on my first day of the pay week, I'll make $420 in that day.

Ace

Yeah but he means the virgins feeding him grapes on his own private island kind of not having a job.
Well, that is a myth, when you get that rich, you spend your time managing that wealth.

braylean

I get per diem, and my wife gets per diem for riding along and helping with paperwork, plus I deduct all expenses. Last year I grossed 180 k, my net was right at 75 k and I paid the standard workman's comp and ssi tax of just under $1200. Just another reason my dumb ass is in a lease truck.
Yup, I am a L/P driver and proud of it. I am paying less in interest than you will from a dealer, my truck was sold to me at market value and it isn't one of those disposable cheap assed wore out fleet trucks. Sooo, tell me again how I am the dumb ass. Incedentally, I've already posted pictures elsewhere on here or truckers report to prove what I'm saying. Look it up.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
So, back to the original question, I am paid by the hour, so mileage does not apply. I'm paid for every minute I'm doing something related to my job. It's not seasonal, it's predictable and steady.

I will not say people who work for mileage are chumps or people who work for percentage are any better or worse than anybody else. It all depends on your specific contract and needs. If your needs are being met, your treatment is acceptable and you like what you're doing, it doesn't matter who tries to knock you for your choices.

One guy might make $100K/year gross but rent a house in urban California while another guy makes $60K/year and owns five acres in rural Idaho. At the end of the year, the guy in Idaho will be further ahead simply because of cost of living differences. So saying, "I make this and if you don't also make this, you're a chump." is not very smart when the bigger picture comes in focus.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
So, back to the original question, I am paid by the hour, so mileage does not apply. I'm paid for every minute I'm doing something related to my job. It's not seasonal, it's predictable and steady.

I will not say people who work for mileage are chumps or people who work for percentage are any better or worse than anybody else. It all depends on your specific contract and needs. If your needs are being met, your treatment is acceptable and you like what you're doing, it doesn't matter who tries to knock you for your choices.

One guy might make $100K/year gross but rent a house in urban California while another guy makes $60K/year and owns five acres in rural Idaho. At the end of the year, the guy in Idaho will be further ahead simply because of cost of living differences. So saying, "I make this and if you don't also make this, you're a chump." is not very smart when the bigger picture comes in focus.
I agree. If you don't have acreage and/or a dually you're a chump. Just like Injun Injun said.

😁