What is the best fuel filter for a Davco?

Mike

Staff member
I find it hilarious and that y’all have to change fuel filters so much. Mine gets changed at service. I have a spare in case of gel up in the winter but, 38000 is what they run without a change. What are y’all doing wrong to have to change filters so much? I am only allowed to get crappy pilot fuel.
Glad you are laughing at my expense, lol.

I Chang mine when it is full, which is quite often. It’s a 7 micron filter in a small Davco 382. This is the only fuel filter my engine has.

Mike

Staff member
The Davco 382 has a small and a large bowl. Mine is the small. Can you replace it with the plus size, or are the units themselves different? I would like to use the larger filters.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
The Davco 382 has a small and a large bowl. Mine is the small. Can you replace it with the plus size, or are the units themselves different? I would like to use the larger filters.
I use a P550467 filter. What do you use?

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
If the oring for the bowl is the same size it would work. I am only familiar with the super wide and and the medium one that’s on my current truck and those do not cross change. However I did go to a davco class and they said if the wrench will fit both units and the oring is the same size you can interchange the parts, no need to look it up. (Not kidding the guy actually said that)

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
If the oring for the bowl is the same size it would work. I am only familiar with the super wide and and the medium one that’s on my current truck and those do not cross change. However I did go to a davco class and they said if the wrench will fit both units and the oring is the same size you can interchange the parts, no need to look it up. (Not kidding the guy actually said that)
BAF56277-AAD3-49FE-A103-ADF1C324BD3C.png

Mike

Staff member
Large bowl is a 482. Entirely different housing
Talking about the 382, there were two different size covers.

I called Davco today, and they said the plus size and standard size covers are interchange.

They proceeded to tell me that mine should be the plus size because all of the units from 2008 forward came with the larger cover.

I got a new cap and cover today, turns out I had the larger cover all along.

Problem has been that everyone is putting standard size filters in it.

Even today, I had Freightliner set out a couple filters with the new cover. When I arrived to pick it up, they had the smaller standard size filters on the counter.

So now I have a new cap, cover, and the proper size filter for the first time.

Donaldson: P550849
Fleetguard: FS19763

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Davco said the 103100DAV filter bowl I picked up is the larger housing, for a 382. They said they would recommend using the larger filter

Also, they said they partnered with Fleetguard to patent their products. They said Fleetguard has a rubber widget on the top of their filters to help regulate the pressure differential

They said other filters may “be full” but still not be “used up” because they don’t have the rubber widget

Interesting.

Mike

Staff member
Davco said the 103100DAV filter bowl I picked up is the larger housing, for a 382. They said they would recommend using the larger filter

Also, they said they partnered with Fleetguard to patent their products. They said Fleetguard has a rubber widget on the top of their filters to help regulate the pressure differential

They said other filters may “be full” but still not be “used up” because they don’t have the rubber widget

Interesting.
Same bowl I just bought. The fleetguard number I posted above is the one you need if you are looking for a 7 micron.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Same bowl I just bought. The fleetguard number I posted above is the one you need if you are looking for a 7 micron.
5EAA959F-D68A-4CC4-A33C-C5B3D4E741D5.jpeg872726A5-91D0-4F5F-9557-7C661311DDEA.jpeg
I’m no widget expert but two Donaldson filters have a rubber widget in the same place as a Fleetguard rubber widget
So I don’t know

I think I’d prefer to stay with all Donaldson

I’m surprised it’s hard to find Donaldson filters on the road, though

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Talking about the 382, there were two different size covers.

I called Davco today, and they said the plus size and standard size covers are interchange.

They proceeded to tell me that mine should be the plus size because all of the units from 2008 forward came with the larger cover.

I got a new cap and cover today, turns out I had the larger cover all along.

Problem has been that everyone is putting standard size filters in it.

Even today, I had Freightliner set out a couple filters with the new cover. When I arrived to pick it up, they had the smaller standard size filters on the counter.

So now I have a new cap, cover, and the proper size filter for the first time.

Donaldson: P550849
Fleetguard: FS19763

This is what Volvo put in Wednesday

IMG_20191115_104544198_HDR.jpg

The info from Donaldson

Screenshot_20191115-205126.png

r3gulator3

Supporter
Since it’s winter. Just wanted to remind you all to not have trashy fuel. Filter as much as you can. Anything ten micron or less is preferred. But just so you know they can’t actually measure anything less than 5 micron accurately so that 2 micron is an educated guess. But here’s the fleetguard numbers. I recommend fleetguard filtration over any of the others. They make damn good filters folks.

06D9B808-856B-4013-A7AE-1C3AF865C914.jpeg

Anywhere between 10 and 2 is good for you.

This are standard size numbers if you need plus size numbers I can get those for you.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
My davco will continue to be a 25 micron filter I've also got a spinon primary filter.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
That’s the plus size. Small diameter would be a P550736.

I’m currently running a 25 Micron filter the same size as you, only fleetguard. It’s the only plus size Speedco had in Fleetguard. They had other micron in Luberfiner, but those filters are junk, IMO.
@Junkyarddog is going to try the 763 filter in his classic. See if it helps

r3gulator3

Supporter
That’s the plus size. Small diameter would be a P550736.

I’m currently running a 25 Micron filter the same size as you, only fleetguard. It’s the only plus size Speedco had in Fleetguard. They had other micron in Luberfiner, but those filters are junk, IMO.
Stay away from lubrifindee and Baldwin. Both those filters are extreme poor quality.