Tanker What is the average day like for a non-OTR tanker driver?

Jigsaw

Im looking at applying for a tanker position soon.

Fins

I love it. Do my 8-12, whatever is needed and go home. No other ass in my seat.

What you choose to haul is up to you.

Ewell has a terminal near me and mostly does soft drink syrup off of the rail cars.

You could go with fuel if you have HazMat. 5-6 day weeks, 50-60 hours and they can gross upward of 85k. More with the right company.

Shreck

Ewell has a terminal near me and mostly does soft drink syrup off of the rail cars.

You could go with fuel if you have HazMat. 5-6 day weeks, 50-60 hours and they can gross upward of 85k. More with the right company.
Do you know if that’s what Ewell does out of there termial in Lakeland

Jigsaw

How do you fill/unload the tankers? Do you back into a filling station like you would with a dock?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
How do you fill/unload the tankers? Do you back into a filling station like you would with a dock?
Most loading is pull through. Unload is a mix of both. I've delivered into some older places where getting in the pit was as challenging as any dock back. Blindside over a crest, for example.

Fins

Most loading is pull through. Unload is a mix of both. I've delivered into some older places where getting in the pit was as challenging as any dock back. Blindside over a crest, for example.
I load in a bottom loading petroleum rack. Hook up the riser and blow it in at 650 gpm. Gate to gate in 25 minutes with no waiting. Unload through a 4" hose to a pump and into an above ground tank. Depending on my customer, I may pump it. Military and Space center gets pumped into a 5000 gallon tank wagon which transfers to the Jet. P-3's, T-38's, AN124's, C-5's, C-17's, etc...

Fins

Curious what ignited it.