What is fair to ask for in detention fees?

dchawk81

I usually threaten to pull out and take off too. It even works as a company driver.

If they lock me in to the dock and I can't get out, I just refuse to go back. It even works as a company driver.

Self respect and a backup plan if they wanna fire you, and a nearly spotless record. That's all it really takes.

Mike

Staff member
I usually threaten to pull out and take off too. It even works as a company driver.
It's a good threat, but one that will get a company driver fired, and one that will cost an owner operator a ton of money because insurance isn't going to see that as a freight claim they intend on paying.

If the doors are opened, that means the seal has been broken. Drive off the lot and that load is now yours, and they know it.

dchawk81

It's a good threat, but one that will get a company driver fired, and one that will cost an owner operator a ton of money because insurance isn't going to see that as a freight claim they intend on paying.

If the doors are opened, that means the seal has been broken. Drive off the lot and that load is now yours, and they know it.
Like I said if they got me in already I just refuse to go back.

Probably didn't say it clear enough. I'm not leaving with a broken seal and freight in the box.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Like I said if they got me in already I just refuse to go back.

Probably didn't say it clear enough. I'm not leaving with a broken seal and freight in the box.
You start treating a brokers loads like that, and I guarantee they'll find a way to get rid of you... suddenly every load you call about pays a nickel a mile.

dchawk81

You start treating a brokers loads like that, and I guarantee they'll find a way to get rid of you... suddenly every load you call about pays a nickel a mile.
They wouldn't have to get rid of me, I'd be gone.

I'm not in it to get screwed, company or otherwise.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
They wouldn't have to get rid of me, I'd be gone.

I'm not in it to get screwed, company or otherwise.
If you want access to the better paying freight, you need to work with them. Telling a broker - FU, I'm outta here - don't cut it.

dchawk81

OK company guy. You know everything about running a trucking business.
Never made such a claim and you know it.

I deliberately make it a point to know as little as possible. I do MY job and do it well. I don't give a sh*t about learning yours unless I have to do it.

The beautiful thing is it can all be learned.