What do I need for CDL school

Komainu

Also, women trainers operate very differently. I've had instructors that were female and its kinda like a "hit or miss". But, I wouldn't take the chance. Get a trainer that you feel comfortable. Its your training on the line. :stirpot2:

I’ve been a Tanker Yanker for the last 12 years and in that time I’ve seen something like 3 or 4 females driving a tanker. Many of them struggle with the hoses pulling them on and off the truck and especially draining them as they’re heavy, especially when full. I once was tasked with training a female and being a southern gentleman I ended up doing most of the lifting and draining for her as I just felt bad seeing her struggle with them. I’d of never done that for a male trainee. On my day off she was training with a different driver. He had her move the truck at a customers location and she somehow managed to drive off the paved road into the muddy grass and got it stuck and when the safety guy came out he apparently yelled at her and she told him to F off and the company fired her.

BigRedFromTexas

I’ve been a Tanker Yanker for the last 12 years and in that time I’ve seen something like 3 or 4 females driving a tanker. Many of them struggle with the hoses pulling them on and off the truck and especially draining them as they’re heavy, especially when full. I once was tasked with training a female and being a southern gentleman I ended up doing most of the lifting and draining for her as I just felt bad seeing her struggle with them. I’d of never done that for a male trainee. On my day off she was training with a different driver. He had her move the truck at a customers location and she somehow managed to drive off the paved road into the muddy grass and got it stuck and when the safety guy came out he apparently yelled at her and she told him to F off and the company fired her.
Its a crazy world out there. In the army, our unit was very careful sending soldiers to civilian drivers training. I remember, we never sent soldiers (especially females) that couldn't cut it. We refused to put anyone in danger just because someone thinks they have the right to drive.

But, you did the right thing (about helping her out). If not. It would of been an E.O. complaint.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
My Work Force Development Center is paving my way for me to go to school. I am responsible for my booksI have my states CDL Training Manual and Im studying and taking practice quizzes every day. Are there any other books you all can think I may need during training and for reference after training, or any map books that maybe handy while out in the field?

Thanks a bunch,
Janet
it depends on the length of time you will be in the classroom. at one school i taught at, you got the state CDL manual for free. but we did have a CDL student training manual that was like $50. usually the students passing the class tests, would sell those to the next class, for like $25. so really, wait till you actually are in the classroom for the instructor to tell the class what extra book or books you need.

another book you may need would be a note book, so yes, if you were told you WILL BE paying for your own book(s), then you will be needing those.

you can also try this website.....

and take all the practice tests there as well.

remember at least ONE thing...

many states "rotate" to written tests for each person at the DMV, so no 2 tests are the same, meaning you cannot cheat..

some DMV's like mine, you had better LEAVE YOUR cell phone off.......not even vibrate..if the test center person hears any noise coming from you, you are done, you are thrown out.....for cheating.

also, regarding the rotation of tests at the DMV, say you fail a test and have to go back, chances are the questions you get the next time, will all be different...

so study, study, study.........

Hunter

CDL book from the DMV thats FREE, all you need for books.
The rest is up to you,
  • a brain that understands whats in that CDL book.
  • Be clean, no drugs.
  • have a beating heart to pass DOT physical (though company DOT physical WILL be more indepth !)
  • Have clean driving record within the last 7 years, at least no majors within 7 yrs
  • money to pay for schooling if you're paying, if gov't is paying then none needed.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
The rest is up to you,
  • Be clean, no drugs.
  • have a beating heart to pass DOT physical (though company DOT physical WILL be more indepth !)
  • Have clean driving record within the last 7 years, at least no majors within 7 yrs
  • money to pay for schooling if you're paying, if gov't is paying then none needed.
you were a CDL instructor were you..???

i told you what is needed.

there is more to teaching driving in the classroom than the state DMV manual...

Hunter

you were a CDL instructor were you..???
No were you ?

there is more to teaching driving in the classroom than the state DMV manual...
No sh!t I understand that, hence the reason the person is asking about " what do I need for CDL school "
Yet Be honest the only thing required from the state is information in the CDL book they hand out for free.
So what is your problem ?
Have you not learned anything yet ? the state gives you what you need to know at the basic level, the rest is up to you.

Learning how to drive, NO manual or text or paperback will help you. Learning how to drive is a hands on experience plain an simple ! it could even be Russian roulette at times.

dchawk81

The rest is up to you,
  • Be clean, no drugs.
Optional.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
No were you ?

No sh!t I understand that, hence the reason the person is asking about " what do I need for CDL school "
Yet Be honest the only thing required from the state is information in the CDL book they hand out for free.
So what is your problem ?
Have you not learned anything yet ? the state gives you what you need to know at the basic level, the rest is up to you.

Learning how to drive, NO manual or text or paperback will help you. Learning how to drive is a hands on experience plain an simple ! it could even be Russian roulette at times.
yes....yes i was an instructor at 2 schools...had you read my postings, you would have seen/read that, and not look the fool you are....

the state CDL manual is ONLY FOR the CDL permitting test...

the CDL student driver manual is for all the subjects we taught in the classroom.....

THEN we take the students outside and demonstrate what they need to know.

then the students also had to pay for the hazmat pocket book, and the "green book" as well.....

some employers give those out for free, the schools i worked at, those books were not included in the tuition.

all testing from the books, goes towards the students overall grade average, that many employers CALLED the school to get the test scores....!!

or the student could get a copy of the test scores/grade average and include that with his/her resume.....

dchawk81

Our DMV has free endorsement books too.

I mean they aren't really books books. More like fat pamphlets. But it's only like 40 questions or something to get both tanker and hazmat.

Kinda scary really how all you need is a few trivia questions and you're off hauling 80,000lbs worth of ethylmethylbadshit.

I mean what it boils down to is "stop at all railroad crossings and ask someone in charge."

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
Our DMV has free endorsement books too.

I mean they aren't really books books. More like fat pamphlets. But it's only like 40 questions or something to get both tanker and hazmat.
the endorsements were in the state CDL manual, no extras needed.

but the student driver manual had more comprehensive pages on more than the CDL manual does.