What changes have you witnessed so far due to the ELD mandate?

Have you noticed a decrease in capacity due to such (any examples)? Are you seeing an increase in rates shippers are willing to pay to get freight moved? What issues are you facing as a driver? Overall, how do you feel about the mandate?

I see me getting out. Brokers aren't making appointments. It's getting shady. So your losing days and money. Between Thursday and Friday I only ran like 300 miles. Because of wait and delivery and my eld (it said I need to be sleep n rest. Although I had plenty during the other 42 out of that 48hrs🙃). And Im a woman. And Im 4'11 I have to sleep at very unsafe places ( and missed a few showers)🙄 sleeping On the side of dark roads, Abandoned warehouses or businesses. It's harder to stop n keep up with preventative maintenance ( or even a truck wash from all the winter salt. We know that line for a truck wash can take any where from 1 to 3 hrs) . Cause with all the delays heaven forbid you are actually late for an appointment (reschedule!). And it hard to go to sleep at 6 pm today, 2p.m tomorrow, 5 a.m the next day... no one's body functions like that. But I love the elogs they are 'Safer. Maybe im just a little grumpy because I had to sleep in a abandon business in the rough side of Atlanta last night(with all kinds of unsavory people knocking at my door all night so that I can make it to my imaginary 8a.m to 12p.m. appointment that was only 11miles away (if my 14 hr gets here or close I'm done for the rest of today for a whole 11 miles).I couldnt eat breakfast Ive been here since 8:45 its 1:25 pm. I dont eat meat anymore(im starving). They expect me to stay put and not eat for detention pay( that I may or may not get). And my 14hr clock has started so I most likely wont be getting a load today(if I they were to be so gracious to unload me today). I don't have any clue as to what tomorrow may bring. We all know this may happen every once in a while (this is trucking). But now since this eld it has happened several times. I've been in this industry for 8 yrs. And even with that I'm usually very positive and out going. I dropped out of college to do this and I love it. But now safety, hygiene, eating properly and unfair business practices has pushed me away. Even though Ive done everything right and by the book. YOU can't be a driver for you to even ask this question

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
I'm seeing nothing but easy money right now.

No change. None. Of course I have been on them for years.

Mike

Staff member
No change. None. Of course I have been on them for years.
Yeah, don't think anybody was expecting your sector of the industry to notice any change at all, LOL

Yeah, don't think anybody was expecting your sector of the industry to notice any change at all, LOL
Just saying my overall theme for the doom and gloomers. If they had adapted a year or two ago it would have had zero impact on their business. As it is now profiteers are making extra profits off of their poor business decisions.

Well mikeThat's great! what am I not getting? Why am I having such a time with brokers?

Last edited:
So Mike did you guys acquire shippers same brokers? Your do you guys have a shop for your O/O? Are you owner ops? What do you think the best business decisions your company adapted to make the transition more profitable during that time?

Well mikeThat's great! what am I not getting? Why am I having such a time with brokers?
No idea. The only thing that changed before Dec 18th and after was recording of 395 compliance. All the companies I have worked for went through the entire figuring out exactly how out of compliance they were years ago and adjusted accordingly.

dchawk81

If you ran legal before December 19, 2017 you can run legal after December 19, 2017.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
So Mike did you guys acquire shippers same brokers? Your do you guys have a shop for your O/O? Are you owner ops? What do you think the best business decisions your company adapted to make the transition more profitable during that time?
Mike Mike left Schneider and got his own authority in October 2017. Two months before the eld mandate. He's been on an eld the entire time.

I've got my own authority in 2013 and went to keeptruckin' phone app in April 2017. I installed the actual eld on 12/17/17. I've also have two o/o leased on to me. Same time line.

The one who's having the most difficult time of us is the one pulling reefer because he's not "solar charged". He's constantly moving between day and night schedules. Hardest part of the entire setup.

But he's making it work. He's taking into account those extra days that he can't cover up the shipper/consignee wasting his time or extra days that he's not able to hide in paper anymore. And he's getting the rate to pay for it. Otherwise we are running open deck and because of the habit of being primarily day operations, our schedules are easier to maintain and be reasonable.

People are going to finally be forced to go from charging by the mile and actually apply managerial accounting to figuring out how to charge rates for their services.

The dinosaur that was trucking just took another meteor that's killing off bad old habits.

As for not making appointments etc. No clue. We've always called and verified our appointments. And what few brokers have a heart ache over it, then the rate gets bumped accordingly and suddenly it's okay for us to confirm appointments and directions.

Contrary to popular belief, having your own authority doesn't help you run more "outlaw", you are more lawfully. It's your livelihood on the line and your business. You can't afford to take any hits to your CSA score.

So the days of stringing loads together with timelines only lies can support are over the day you fill out the MC-150. Yeah, you might have tweaked little things here or there when things really fell apart, but for the most part, you run legal.

Reality is, so many small carriers have a record with brokers as being inexpensive carriers and willing to fudge things. And you get treated that way every time.

I've always booked loads with adequate time and even padded it because of location, time of year for weather etc, known detention issues with shipper/consignee. I've personally always scheduled 4 hours minimum for any shipper / consignee. Regardless. I've always scheduled driving time plus two hours between loading and unloading. I've always padded in the winter two truck washes per week.

Things I read you don't allow for.

Stop drivin' a truck.

Start running a business. Accordingly.

You can't have 100% up time on equipment. It's more like 40-50% operational and then you've got all the support tasks. Oil changes, truck wash, office tasks. Just sending in paperwork to get paid. Getting ifta/irp/ucr/permits, insurance. When you get your own authority, driving is only 15-20% of your work.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Single truck owner operator with authority.

For me, I work hard to hold to the rates I want, really could care less what a broker thinks a load should move for.

I don’t push the limits when it comes to HOS. Sticking to my rates makes this easier, at least with the current market conditions.

Biggest thing, I try to work within specific hours. I don’t pick up loads late in the afternoon, nor do I deliver them late in the afternoon. I focus on getting loads delivered in the AM, allowing me a same day reload by early afternoon. If loads don’t fit into my working schedule, I try to avoid them.

Mike

Staff member
Perfect example of my schedule is the load I just gave back today.

Broker offered load that picked up by 1600 today, and per the email, delivered FCFS tomorrow.

Gave my rate, agreed on the rate, awaited rate con.

Got email asking for ETA to receiver so broker could set appointment. There were a couple more loads I was willing to run for a more regular broker, so I gave ETA of 0900, and questioned about FCFS becoming an appointment. Broker made mistake....

So, it was going to be about 30-45 minutes before I could get appointment time confirmed. Told broker I was heading in the direction of shipper, but needed appt time before I got there, and it must be no later than 0900. Broker calls me 30 minutes later, with earliest appt time of 1600. I immediately gave the load back, not interested in an extra couple hundred to stay on the load.

Called the other broker, got an appointment to pick up a load that will deliver same region as previous load FCFS. $100 less than the previous load, but still pretty close to $3/mile so all is good.

Mndriver
Mike Mike left Schneider and got his own authority in October 2017. Two months before the eld mandate. He's been on an eld the entire time.

I've got my own authority in 2013 and went to keeptruckin' phone app in April 2018. I installed the actual eld on 12/17/18. I've also have two o/o leased on to me. Same time line.

The one who's having the most difficult time of us is the one pulling reefer because he's not "solar charged". He's constantly moving between day and night schedules. Hardest part of the entire setup.

But he's making it work. He's taking into account those extra days that he can't cover up the shipper/consignee wasting his time or extra days that he's not able to hide in paper anymore. And he's getting the rate to pay for it. Otherwise we are running open deck and because of the habit of being primarily day operations, our schedules are easier to maintain and be reasonable.

People are going to finally be forced to go from charging by the mile and actually apply managerial accounting to figuring out how to charge rates for their services.

The dinosaur that was trucking just took another meteor that's killing off bad old habits.

As for not making appointments etc. No clue. We've always called and verified our appointments. And what few brokers have a heart ache over it, then the rate gets bumped accordingly and suddenly it's okay for us to confirm appointments and directions.

Contrary to popular belief, having your own authority doesn't help you run more "outlaw", you are more lawfully. It's your livelihood on the line and your business. You can't afford to take any hits to your CSA score.

So the days of stringing loads together with timelines only lies can support are over the day you fill out the MC-150. Yeah, you might have tweaked little things here or there when things really fell apart, but for the most part, you run legal.

Reality is, so many small carriers have a record with brokers as being inexpensive carriers and willing to fudge things. And you get treated that way every time.

I've always booked loads with adequate time and even padded it because of location, time of year for weather etc, known detention issues with shipper/consignee. I've personally always scheduled 4 hours minimum for any shipper / consignee. Regardless. I've always scheduled driving time plus two hours between loading and unloading. I've always padded in the winter two truck washes per week.

Things I read you don't allow for.

Stop drivin' a truck.

Start running a business. Accordingly.

You can't have 100% up time on equipment. It's more like 40-50% operational and then you've got all the support tasks. Oil changes, truck wash, office tasks. Just sending in paperwork to get paid. Getting ifta/irp/ucr/permits, insurance. When you get your own authority, driving is only 15-20% of your work.

Thanks for the info. 🤝👌💪🙃

Single truck owner operator with authority.

For me, I work hard to hold to the rates I want, really could care less what a broker thinks a load should move for.

I don’t push the limits when it comes to HOS. Sticking to my rates makes this easier, at least with the current market conditions.

Biggest thing, I try to work within specific hours. I don’t pick up loads late in the afternoon, nor do I deliver them late in the afternoon. I focus on getting loads delivered in the AM, allowing me a same day reload by early afternoon. If loads don’t fit into my working schedule, I try to avoid them.

Same here Mike. But I just ran into quite a few brokers that weren't completely honest about those delivery times. I will just have to paste myself and confirm all delivery appt. before pick up. And after the 1st few times I had. But I got the load on a Saturday and Consignee was closed at that time til Monday. But thank you. Alot of weeks and months are just better than others. But thank you driver for taking the time to give me a sincere reply. ❤🤝

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
But I just ran into quite a few brokers that weren't completely honest about those delivery times.
We still run into them.

They get put on a "do not haul" list. You learn what brokers do nothing but offer cheap freight or don't follow through. Brokers that suddenly change locations vs what was listed on a load posting.

And you simply avoid them. Unless the rate is absolutely incredible or else the load is a must have like it would get you home on a moments notice. Like a family emergency.

stalled

i took a spin the other day with my bright shiny ELD. Mileage didn't turn out to be much different from what i would get when on paper but the hammer all day except for a 1/2 hour break is insanity. anyone who thinks this is about safety has their head up their ass. I have never been able to sleep 10 hours; usually about six. this sitting in a truckstop with all these APU's running, i can understand why people were/are tired when running. sitting there watching the snow pile up is an exercise in stupidity. I don't see much change in posted rates. i think if you do benefit in rates is because the service you provide is appreciated by your shippers for doing an exceptional job. i rarely revisit a shipper or reciever twice in any given year so this classification is not on my horizon.
I'm sure you could run reduced miles if you are getting 5 bucks a mile consistently. but i wouldn't consider getting back into it for less. the lifestyle, for me at least, isn't worth the insult of being forced to live like that. i will say again that i consider my style of running to be safer than the proscribed regimen now in effect. my style is basically sleep when you are tired. but again , i don't see much difference in the mileage just the way it is achieved.
the regulation of warehouse to warehouse is a different style of operation from mine where you frequently have to instruct receiver how they will have to unload product and synchronize everyone at site. I believe the percentage of requests for ELD immunity is up around 30-35% including teamsters. it will interesting for me to see how this pans out, from the sidelines. good luck to you guys as mega corp realizes your profitable areas of operation.
not a prime driver, leased to 'em. that's a good one. who's authority are you on.
you're dead on about safer scores and maintaining logs, no one is more aware than the individual with his name on the charter and his hands on the wheel. that is what i mean when i say you don't know responsibility until your name is on the insurance and authority certs.

i took a spin the other day with my bright shiny ELD. Mileage didn't turn out to be much different from what i would get when on paper but the hammer all day except for a 1/2 hour break is insanity. anyone who thinks this is about safety has their head up their ass. I have never been able to sleep 10 hours; usually about six. this sitting in a truckstop with all these APU's running, i can understand why people were/are tired when running. sitting there watching the snow pile up is an exercise in stupidity. I don't see much change in posted rates. i think if you do benefit in rates is because the service you provide is appreciated by your shippers for doing an exceptional job. i rarely revisit a shipper or reciever twice in any given year so this classification is not on my horizon.
I'm sure you could run reduced miles if you are getting 5 bucks a mile consistently. but i wouldn't consider getting back into it for less. the lifestyle, for me at least, isn't worth the insult of being forced to live like that. i will say again that i consider my style of running to be safer than the proscribed regimen now in effect. my style is basically sleep when you are tired. but again , i don't see much difference in the mileage just the way it is achieved.
the regulation of warehouse to warehouse is a different style of operation from mine where you frequently have to instruct receiver how they will have to unload product and synchronize everyone at site. I believe the percentage of requests for ELD immunity is up around 30-35% including teamsters. it will interesting for me to see how this pans out, from the sidelines. good luck to you guys as mega corp realizes your profitable areas of operation.
not a prime driver, leased to 'em. that's a good one. who's authority are you on.
you're dead on about safer scores and maintaining logs, no one is more aware than the individual with his name on the charter and his hands on the wheel. that is what i mean when i say you don't know responsibility until your name is on the insurance and authority certs.
ELDs suck donkey dick. I pulled over last night when I wasn't tired because I didn't want a log violation. I don't know how to use the damn thing.

Be a buncha kids that can use technology out here all that's left.

The dumbest thing is I can't operate the ELD while driving. How am I supposed to know how much longer I got it I can't read the ****ing thing?

stalled

trucking has always been a business where economies of scale have given the operating edge. if you could find the rates pilot gives for fueling to megacorp to what you can achieve with you tcs card you would understand the mountain you have to climb. it is obvious that this whole thing is a market grab by those who have or can generate the capacity for any given route. if you have the overview and the insight you can see it also but you need to read up in transport topics HDT etc. many of the believers here are somewhat outside the driver operator so don't be led astray by guys with their hear up their ass. I want a job where i can work and get ahead. not one that relegates me to mediocrity, like tazz. or one that limits my area of operation to 1000 miles, but a single operation is now not in the cards for my established operation, now de-established. god bless america, at least the one i grew up in...

ELDs suck donkey dick. I pulled over last night when I wasn't tired because I didn't want a log violation. I don't know how to use the damn thing.

Be a buncha kids that can use technology out here all that's left.

The dumbest thing is I can't operate the ELD while driving. How am I supposed to know how much longer I got it I can't read the ****ing thing?
😂😂😂😂They should have walked you through it. Go on YouTube and pull up your elog. If you tell me what kind it is. I can send you a video