Owner Operator What are you doing about Health Insurance?

NAIT

Just to be clear - NAIT does not sell Health Insurance - We are working to partner with a provider who can offer coverage to our OO and IC members and are seeking input from the community.

I'm working several angles to provide Health Insurance Options to US Based Owner/Operators and ICs. The individual marketplace is very confusing, and usually very expensive. How are most of you obtaining Health Insurance, or are you going without?

What would you like to see offered - realistically? What are your biggest frustrations? Any success stories?

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Other than my “free” healthcare plan, I’m about $150 a month for additional coverage through a third party.

NAIT

What is your "free" plan? Is that Obamacare with subsidies? Is the $150/month for critical illness, life, disability, etc?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
What is your "free" plan? Is that Obamacare with subsidies? Is the $150/month for critical illness, life, disability, etc?
OHIP :D
Ontario’s health insurance

The $150 a month is illness and disability, a substitute for workers comp. Life insurance is seperate, about $20 a month

I’m pretty sure that even covers me south of the border if something happens. But maybe I should double check that

NAIT

Ahh - I completely missed that you were the "Ontario Outlaw"! :) That's the city in Canada, and not the Los Angeles suburb where I spent all those nights at the 76 Truckstop years ago!!

Our programs would all be US based at this point - but you should double check to make sure you're covered south of the border!

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Reminds me of a car salesman trying to relate by talking about stuff they have no idea about.

"Oh man you're into baseball too? I love the Dallas Cowboys!"

😏

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Reminds me of a car salesman trying to relate by talking about stuff they have no idea about.

"Oh man you're into baseball too? I love the Dallas Cowboys!"

😏
Common tactic for salesman. Proven to increase acceptance by people. Increase likelihood of a sale.

NAIT

No tactics here - just didn't pay close enough attention. I'm only trying to figure out the US health insurance system - not ready to go international just yet.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I got it made in the shade. In addition to my free health care my company pays 100% of my premium. Zero cost to me.

Insurance pays 100% of the the co-pay and dispensing fees. Zero cost to me.

Damn! Union workers are jealous of my benefits and no union dues. Zero cost to me. :D

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Don't worry, nobody else knows what it is either. I think the whole concept of The Canada is fiction. Probably just people living up in Michigan, pretending to be from another country.
It's actually Minnesota. you can tell by the accent. ;)

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Since it’s still like 1993 in Canada and The U.P. You’re probably right.

I mooch off my wife’s health insurance.

15 years ago as a teachers aide the insurance was dynamite. School districts used to have to most awesome insurance aside from state and municipal workers.

Then it got less and less great.

Now that she’s a full blown teacher, it’s still not as good as it used to be.

AND, every year we have to closely examine each plan when it used to be a slam dunk decision.

In an industry with 30 year smokers, rampant obesity, and health problems galore...we have to compare in detail...

With school districts.

Nothing is what it used to be.

:grandpa:

(((ME)))

I signed up for Medicare eight years ago.....pay the premuin.....never have used it once yet. Plus it only pays 80 percent should I need to use it.