Motor Carrier We've hit the yearly Summer slowdown.

Mike

Staff member
Looks like the auto plants are beginning to shutdown for changeover and construction is doing it's normal slowdown. It's definitely more noticeable this year than last year, so expect things to be a bit unstable for the next 4-6 weeks.

I'm sure many, especially those who only have 2018 as a gauge, to panic about recessions, depressions, and any other ession you can imagine.

I am also sure that brokers will do all they can to push the "ession" agenda to anybody that will listen in order to maximize their profits during the yearly Summer slowdown.

And finally, I am sure many more bank foreclosures will take place on trucks/trailers, and a few more small carriers that jumped into the deep in with expansion based on 2018 will fold up shop.

Ignore chicken little, the sky has not fallen.

Mike

Staff member
It’s either summer slowdown, winter slowdown, construction, year end, inventory....

There’s more excuses on why things are slow than why the sky isn’t blue
Not excuses, just the normal changes in freight movement. Happens every year, but nobody noticed it last year because there was so much freight sitting around begging to be moved.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
you = contract freight. You typically won't notice these things, or at least not notice much.
I have noticed steel rates have went down, but construction materials seem to be up the last few weeks

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Not excuses, just the normal changes in freight movement. Happens every year, but nobody noticed it last year because there was so much freight sitting around begging to be moved.
I get that...but it’s a year round thing. For one excuse or another why at different points of the year it slows down some.

Last week I ran six days straight, switched out trailers with company rides and kept right on rocking. I had six hours left on my Canadian 70 on Friday night which is practically unheard of .

Yet, this week, running some local loads.

Trucking is a unique business

Mike

Staff member
I have noticed steel rates have went down, but construction materials seem to be up the last few weeks
This week was the week I noticed the volume drop in the dry van market. As rates drop in our market, wouldn't be out of the way to expect you to see more freight as those on the spot market are not as quick to take loads at a lower rate.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
This week was the week I noticed the volume drop in the dry van market. As rates drop in our market, wouldn't be out of the way to expect you to see more freight as those on the spot market are not as quick to take loads at a lower rate.
Right on.

Mike

Staff member
Yet, this week, running some local loads.
While you are doing that, I am also likely to be hovering around closer to home doing shorter than usual loads. I won't be "that guy" running 1500 mile loads and whining about the cheap rates brokers are throwing at me.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
While you are doing that, I am also likely to be hovering around closer to home doing shorter than usual loads. I won't be "that guy" running 1500 mile loads and whining about the cheap rates brokers are throwing at me.
It’s a trade off, local loads don’t pay that great, BUT, you’re not burning $500 worth of fuel a day

I’m not good at math but earning $1000-1500 a day but spending $5-900 a day in fuel isn’t much different than earning $500 but spending $150 in fuel

Whatever. Math can kick rocks

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Still finding adequately paying load without much difficulty.
Theres a yearly cycle to reefer and dry van freight - its typical for volumes to take a sizable drop at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. It can persist right through the quarter.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Theres a yearly cycle to reefer and dry van freight - its typical for volumes to take a sizable drop at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. It can persist right through the quarter.
I have reefer, flatbed and step decks on the road.

All are staying appropriately busy with decent loads.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I have reefer, flatbed and step decks on the road.

All are staying appropriately busy with decent loads.
Same here. So far it's getting more difficult to find weekend loads. DAT showed a significant decrease in load volumes overall, with rates holding steady.

nan

Supporter
I've noticed a trend as well.

I'm doing exactly the same as I've always been doing.

Latest posts