Welp just began my trucking career

Anonymousme

Hu guys,

So I just started my trucking career about a month ago with us xpress was going to go with scheider but some things us offered I liked better such as better home time. Now i have a family and i have been gone a month and a half so far for training and will not get to go visit the family before I go on the road with the trainer for another month. I'm in Indiana now lol. What are some good ways to cope with long distance relationships. She understands what I'm doing and supports me but my kids are missing me and it makes it hard tho my older kids understand what I'm doing.

Also I know this is a noob question but what are some good things to buy to make myself comfortable in my truck. Gps headset etc.

Thanks for the info and replies guys.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
Hu guys,

So I just started my trucking career about a month ago with us xpress was going to go with scheider but some things us offered I liked better such as better home time. Now i have a family and i have been gone a month and a half so far for training and will not get to go visit the family before I go on the road with the trainer for another month. I'm in Indiana now lol. What are some good ways to cope with long distance relationships. She understands what I'm doing and supports me but my kids are missing me and it makes it hard tho my older kids understand what I'm doing.

Also I know this is a noob question but what are some good things to buy to make myself comfortable in my truck. Gps headset etc.

skype with the family.

or some other application.

dchawk81

Supporter
US Xpress home time promises are lies.

So I heard at the terminal. Lots of people from like, Mississippi, stuck in PA.

I have trust issues so I didn't do OTR.

Don't buy stuff until you have your own truck. Space is already limited.

Duck

Trump
Supporter
Hu guys,

Skype for now. Facebook messenger has a video chat function.

Stick it out for those two months, then start looking for a local home every day job. Even if it's driving a garbage truck. Those kids will grow up fast. A lot of places require one year experience, but that just means you might have to take something crappy for a while.

Shreck

Skype for now. Facebook messenger has a video chat function.

Stick it out for those two months, then start looking for a local home every day job. Even if it's driving a garbage truck. Those kids will grow up fast. A lot of places require one year experience, but that just means you might have to take something crappy for a while.
I totally agree the kids will be gone before you know it.

Anonymousme

Yeah my plan is to go local after about a year or two After these two months I'll be supposedly 5days on 2 off on a dedicated account which isn't to bad. But before I go local I want build up as much experience as I can.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Hey Congrats A Anonymousme on starting your new career!👍 You are lucky there are many more options for staying in touch with the fam now than back in the days of calling cards and phone booths.

There is Skype and texting and calls whenever you want by cell phone, social media. It's not the same as being there but nothing is.
Hang tough, do your time and keep an eye out for local opportunities.
Good luck to you!👍

pete159

5 days on 2 days off most likely means you get back on day 5 which is probably anytime.. including late in the evening like 10 p.m. 11 p.m. or 12 then you get the next day off and go to work the day after.... so it's really one day off you get. local work means getting up at 5 in the morning and getting home 9 p.m. at night or until the job is done. Long Haul Trucking is hard if you want to be with your family there is no easy way out, you have to get used to being away and also get used to your kids not really caring that much after a while that you're gone

dchawk81

Supporter
5 days on 2 days off most likely means you get back on day 5 which is probably anytime.. including late in the evening like 10 p.m. 11 p.m. or 12 then you get the next day off and go to work the day after.... so it's really one day off you get. local work means getting up at 5 in the morning and getting home 9 p.m. at night or until the job is done. Long Haul Trucking is hard if you want to be with your family there is no easy way out, you have to get used to being away and also get used to your kids not really caring that much after a while that you're gone
Man them's some broad strokes on that there brush you're paintin with.

(((ME)))

Find a local job as soon as you can.
Truckers aquire a fever of wonder lust......that has to be feed. A high, a rush, excitement, thrill, roller coaster ride dangerous curses...mountain passes, to conquer the unknown.....with there type of profession.

phoenix827

Just how I see it.
I got my cdl this past September. I started with Schneider om October 2nd. I quit December 10th.
Right off the bat, you HAVE to stick it out at LEAST 3 months. Preferably a year. I will admit that it was not easy, I will also admit I should have stuck it out a bit longer. I just got back to work today, driving and ground man for a tree crew. NOT what I wanted to do at age 50, but it's a job. Trucking was not what I expected, in many ways. I wasnt getting the pay I expected or was told to expect. I hated not being home for 2 weeks at a time and my wife hated it more. :) (go figure) On top of all that, the culture is not what I remembered from years ago running regional in a box truck. Most of the "Knights Of The Road" are on this forum here I think. These guys will steer you straight. I will still drive, that's what I want to do, but OTR isnt for me. Luckily, my kids are grown.