Ketogenic Diet Welcome to the truckers ketogenic lifestyle forum

Mike

Staff member
As someone who finally dove into the ketogenic diet/lifestyle not too long ago, I wanted to create an area for the members/visitors of this community to learn about and discuss the ketogenic diet. I had been thinking about this for a while, brought it up to another member here who follows this diet as well ( ironpony ironpony ), and he agreed that it might be a good idea to open this discussion up within the community.

Over time, I will be creating a couple sticky threads, maybe even resources, that explain the Ketogenic Diet in more detail.

In simple terms, a ketogenic diet is this:
  • High Fat
  • Moderate Protein
  • Low Carb
By high fat, I mean that most people will consume over 100 grams of fat per day. By moderate protein, the average person will consume no more than 40-60 grams of protein per day. By low carb, the average person will ideally consume less than 40 carbs per day (some can maintain ketosis with slightly higher carb intake, others must stay below 40). As for myself, I am currently eating 20 or less carbs per day and don't miss them at all.

This diet, in many cases, can completely eliminate the need for diabetic medication. Obviously, you would want to consult a doctor if you are on medication for diabetes or any other illness as some medications need to be removed slowly, and under the supervision of a doctor.

As you take the time to learn more about this way of eating, you will learn that people with all sorts of illnesses ultimately find themselves with a clean bill of health over time, and are often able to stop taking all medications.

As for myself, I started this diet quite a long time back. I was seeing very good results, even though I wasn't doing it with good consistency, and after the passing of my mother, got completely off track and over the course of a couple years, gained all of my weight back. Recently, I decided it was time to restart this, not simply as a way to lose weight, but as an overall lifestyle change.

I will create a thread to track my progress going forward, but over the course of a couple months now on this diet, I have dropped from around 220 to 192. Sleeping better, and much more energetic throughout the day. My initial weight loss goal is 160, then see from there how far I want to drop.

This way of eating, for a truck driver, is simple. It requires some discipline, but it is truly very simple. The health benefits are 100% worth it. In my opinion, there is no better way to eat/live, especially for those of us who spend so much of their day inactive due to the type of job we do.

This new forum is meant to be an educational forum. It is here for those who truly want to learn about and debate the ketogenic lifestyle. I will moderate this forum pretty tightly to keep discussions on topic, and to keep the spammers who are sure to try to flood this forum out of the conversation.

AK7

Interesting, I had never heard of it before.
I suppose no beer on this diet...????

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
:foreheadslap: Oh fur **** sakes. Sinister Sinister is going to be on this thread like white on rice.

Mike

Staff member
Interesting, I had never heard of it before.
I suppose no beer on this diet...????
Daily consumption of beer will likely keep you kicked out of ketosis. You could maybe drink one or two Michelob Ultras, but I would just as soon not drink.

Alcohol turns to sugar, so it's definitely a negative when it comes to this diet.

I drink, but it is in moderation, and not daily since starting keto.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Okay, I did not read this before I posted.
New #3
:foreheadslap: Oh fur **** sakes. Sinister Sinister is going to be on this thread like white on rice.

This new forum is meant to be an educational forum. It is here for those who truly want to learn about and debate the ketogenic lifestyle. I will moderate this forum pretty tightly to keep discussions on topic, and to keep the spammers who are sure to try to flood this forum out of the conversation.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter

Yes. I find the fact that fat people now basically have their own whole forum while I still don’t have one of my own is discrimination!

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've been eating a keto diet for sometime too. Mostly to help control my blood sugar levels. Something that DOT doctors have a cow over.

The idea is for you to convert your body from burning sugars for energy, back to burning fats. We all start out that way as infants, but our "normal" diet saturated us with sugars and foods that break down into glucose (sugars) in the dietary tract. The carbs you give up are refined sugars, fructose (fruit sugars,) starches (rice, potatoes,) grains (bread, cereals,) and most prepared foods.

Why?

These foods get converted into glucose the digestive tract, and are transported through the body as blood glucose. The pancreas secrets insulin into the bloodstream to control the level of your blood sugar, and to aid in converting your blood sugar to energy in the cells. What isn't immediately used is stored as fat. The typical truckers diet is fast food, lots of chips, candy, soda, etc, that gets converted straight to blood glucose. Your blood sugar goes sky-high, the pancreas has a fit trying to control it, and with our sedentary lifestyle, it all gets converted to fat darn quick. Since your calories are rapidly converted to body fat, that leaves you craving more food (sugar) very soon, and the cycle starts over again.

A keto diet on the other hand is deficient in carbs that are rapidly converted into blood glucose. The food you eat is digested over hours instead of minutes, your blood sugar doesn't spike, and body consumes fat to power itself. By regulating your carb intake, and consuming carbs that are low on the glycemic index (green veggies for example) its easy to regulate your body weight, and lose weight without feeling hungry all the time. Bacon is back on the menu!

For those of us afflicted with type II diabetes or diagnosed with prediabetes syndrome, there is really good news: a keto diet provides the best way to control your blood sugar, since the food you eat doesn't cause your blood sugar to spike. Normal blood sugar level is about 70 - 80 mg/dL, rising to around 140 mg/dL 2 hours after a meal. A type II diabetic cannot maintain these levels, and may be upwards of 200 mg/dL between meals. A "normal" diet causes their blood sugar to jump much higher after meals. A ketogenic diet may not be the total answer, but it goes a long way to getting there.

I've been a type II diabetic for 20 years. I'm on 3 blood sugar lowering drugs, at their maximum dosage. If I eat what's considered a "normal" diet recommended for diabetics, my blood sugar is out of control, my A1C blood test results are uniformly high, and I'm headed for insulin injections - and all of the complications involved in getting and maintaining a DOT medical card. Eating a keto diet allows me to have near normal blood sugar levels, my A1C test results are near normal - I'm still on those blood sugar medications, but my doctor and I have been discussing cutting one back.

That's why a keto diet is a good thing.

dave350

Any recommended reading on the Keto diet? I’ve tooled around the Internet a bit when I’ve had time but I tend to like books better.

I going to do something here in the fall.

Mike

Staff member
Any recommended reading on the Keto diet? I’ve tooled around the Internet a bit when I’ve had time but I tend to like books better.

I going to do something here in the fall.
Keto Clarity
Eat Fat Get Thin

dave350

Ive done Atkins and South Beach in years past. I did well on South Beach and even came off my blood pressure meds. My mistake was not coming off the first phase. My metabolism was on overdrive and then.........
I discovered I could drink beer like a twenty year old again! :D
And I’ve put it all back on and went back on blood pressure meds. :rolleyes-80: Dumbass me. :frown:

I was aboot 175-180 in high school. On South Beach I got down to 190. That’s too thin for me so I’d like to hit 200 and I’d be content. That’s about 47 lbs to lose. Maybe 45. :biggrin-2:

Mike

Staff member
Ive done Atkins and South Beach in years past. I did well on South Beach and even came off my blood pressure meds. My mistake was not coming off the first phase. My metabolism was on overdrive and then.........
I discovered I could drink beer like a twenty year old again! :D
And I’ve put it all back on and went back on blood pressure meds. :rolleyes-80: Dumbass me. :frown:

I was aboot 175-180 in high school. On South Beach I got down to 190. That’s too thin for me so I’d like to hit 200 and I’d be content. That’s about 47 lbs to lose. Maybe 45. :biggrin-2:
Give this diet 6 months, time for your body to adjust and truly benefit from it.

Mike

Staff member
I’ve been back on this diet for about two months now. The last month I can say I have truly done it right other than a couple cheat meals. Down about 28 pounds, and feel better than I have felt in lots of years.

dave350

What is the purpose of butter in the coffee? Jumpstart the fat intake in the morning maybe?
It’s funny cause Sandy said something about butter in coffee the other day. I thought hmm. I like butter, and I like coffee. Why hadn’t I thought of this?

Mike

Staff member
What is the purpose of butter in the coffee? Jumpstart the fat intake in the morning maybe?
It’s funny cause Sandy said something about butter in coffee the other day. I thought hmm. I like butter, and I like coffee. Why hadn’t I thought of this?
Yes. It’s just what is called a fat bomb. Reaching the fat levels can be tough, the coffee is just a simple way for many to get there. And it is very healthy.

Not any butter, grass fed butter.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Not any butter, grass fed butter.
Kerry Gold brand fits the bill. You can get it at Walmart.

Rutherford prattles on about grass fed this and that, quality food, etc. I think he's been living outside of a semi sleeper cab long enough that he doesn't recall that outside of Walmart, not only can you not get a semi into a Whole Foods parking lot, but we aren't welcomed there either.

So, doing Keto on the road is easier than it sounds. If you just have to shop top shelf... go for it. Understand that the places we pick up produce and meats tend to be the same places for top shelf stores and Walmart.

The biggest challenge doing Keto is keeping the fat intake up. That's the thinking behind bullet proof coffee, which makes a good breakfast all on it's own.

Meats: think fat. Also think small. We're trying to keep our protein intake down so 16 oz steaks are out. Well marbled meat is usually in the larger, more expensive cuts (Angus,) and smaller, cheaper store brand cuts. The cheap, off-brand bacon has a lot more fat on it.

Fish... Walmart has vacuum packed cuts of fish that have a ton of fat in them. Fish keeps longer in the fridge than beef does.

Chicken... buy it with the skin on.

Use lots of butter on your cooked veggies, and cook your meat in butter too. Use the left over fat in a pan to make a cream sauce (easy.)

There's lots of things you can do to up your fat intake.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Rutherford prattles on about grass fed this and that, quality food, etc. I think he's been living outside of a semi sleeper cab long enough that he doesn't recall that outside of Walmart, not only can you not get a semi into a Whole Foods parking lot, but we aren't welcomed there either.
But, if you are near a Whole Foods, there are services that will deliver your online order right to you. Not too expensive either.