WEHAVEABABYITSA

I want to sincerly thank those of you who share my joy..and for the rest of you..why the heck you open and read my threads..just move on with your life..
I only stated my opinion, and facts regarding Shetland Ponies. It was you who chose to take offense at that. None of my posts were rude or mean in any way.

You want to have horses that have no practical use other than hitch to a cart and drag kids around at the state fair and carnivals and spend lots of money doing so, well that is your choice also. It is a free society.

As for calling it farming, I disagree. I posted what farming was when I was growing up earlier on this thread. Farming is raising animals and crops to provide food. You don't eat those ponies, do you?

You are stating a FACT..that you created in your mind..it doesn't matter what I say..you just gonna see what you want to see..you are so wrong it's pittyful..but however..its your view..and you are entitled to it..
What is pitiful is how you choose to believe that it doesn't matter what you say, how do you know that if you don't try and just answer the question?

And he didn't state a fact, he asked a question, and I suspect he asked that question repeatedly because maybe he felt you didn't see it, and he genuinely wanted to know about something that he does not have knowledge of.

The fact here is, you chose to not answer his questions, and you chose to be offended by his questions.

But, it is a free society, and you are entitled to choose to react however you wish.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
different results.
Come on, really? Rather than answer a man's question, you choose to insult him? I don't believe he expected different results, I believe he expected that you would give him an honest, and educated answer.

But you didn't.

So why do ppl have pet gerbils, hampsters, parrots, declawed cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits? They don't raise them for money or food, they are pets to be enjoyed. Normal people like to surround themselves with beautiful things from art to animals. And take care of them just for the enjoyment of doing so. So what is the profit in having a kid??????? I lost a lot of money raising them and didn't enjoy it most of the time.
Shetland Ponies have been kept by man not as pets, but as beasts of burden, since the Bronze Age. They were even used to haul coal out of mines.

Read about them here

Why does the name have to be 35 letters long? Is that a rule somehow?
I don't think she is going to answer you Sinister, so here:

People who keep, breed and raise Shetland Ponies do so just like those who keep, breed and raise dogs of various breeds. To establish blood lines and track them, they are registered, and registration documents have specific requirements. Including naming guidelines.

From Wikipedia:
There are several major registries for Shetland ponies, the Shetland Pony Stud Book Society (SPSBS) based in UK, American Shetland Pony Club (ASPC), and the Shetland Pony Society of North America (SPSNA), both based in the USA. Shetland ponies registered with the SPSBS cannot be taller than 42" at maturity. ASPC Shetlands range in height from about 30"(rare) to 46" (the breed is measured in inches, not in hands). The Shetland Pony Society of North America was formed to honor the traditional Shetland Pony of island type. Any pony registered with other American, British, or Canadian registries can be cross-registered if it meets the pedigree and conformation standards of the SPSNA.
I have been around just about every type of farm animal in my time, and one thing I know for sure. Shetland Ponies are temperamental and cranky, some will kick and bite out of spite. And I will state once more, they have very little use except for hauling children around on carts at carnivals and fairs. Those very children who have been failed by us as a society in their education because we allow the kind of crap that has been taking place in Wisconsin, but that is a different thread.

Full size horses still find usefulness on real ranches as tools to get the ranchers around the spread, herding cattle, riding fence lines, etc.

Try to do that with a Shetland Pony.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think she is going to answer you Sinister, so here:

People who keep, breed and raise Shetland Ponies do so just like those who keep, breed and raise dogs of various breeds. To establish blood lines and track them, they are registered, and registration documents have specific requirements. Including naming guidelines.

From Wikipedia:
I have been around just about every type of farm animal in my time, and one thing I know for sure. Shetland Ponies are temperamental and cranky, some will kick and bite out of spite. And I will state once more, they have very little use except for hauling children around on carts at carnivals and fairs. Those very children who have been failed by us as a society in their education because we allow the kind of crap that has been taking place in Wisconsin, but that is a different thread.

Full size horses still find usefulness on real ranches as tools to get the ranchers around the spread, herding cattle, riding fence lines, etc.

Try to do that with a Shetland Pony.
Thanks Racer. I'm pretty good at starting flame wars, and usually winning them too, but clearly that's not the case here, anyone can see that. I really have no idea what I did to set this woman off. That's why I asked about medications.

Regarding the animal, I've also heard that shetlands have bed tempers.

Are these Shetlands or Miniature horses? There is a difference, right?

Thanks Racer. I'm pretty good at starting flame wars, and usually winning them too, but clearly that's not the case here, anyone can see that. I really have no idea what I did to set this woman off. That's why I asked about medications.

Regarding the animal, I've also heard that shetlands have bed tempers.

Are these Shetlands or Miniature horses? There is a difference, right?
You're welcome.

Shetland, Welsh, Hackney, Miniature, it is pretty much the same thing, just regional differences. There are some "miniature" horses that are much smaller, about the size of a Labrador dog, and I don't think those are in the same bloodlines as these animals here.

Thread starter #51
Hey Sinister..did you know that freightliner, Volvo and Internationals are ALL the same...take it from me..I am a trucking expert now..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We are breeding, showing and training miniature horses for 17 years now..we sold all over the world..and we do breed to improve the standard of the breed..our horses have stood in ribbons at the national shows and brought good money..so don't tell me about shetland, hackney and whatever..you obiusly have not the slightest idea about horses..

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the answer...finally.

I'm starting to think you're not mentally stable, by the way.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
Sinister be nice.This is ironwifes thread and all she wanted was a congratulations not a big song and dance why she should'nt keep the animal for a pet.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
Well, I asked a simple question, and you flew off the handle.

The simple answer was, "We breed horses for money and prestige, and we're good at it. Many of our animals have won awards internationally!"

You could have said that pages ago.

Thread starter #56
What is the point of animals that don't make any money? My wife's always wanted shetland ponies, and I can't for the life of me figure why...

Seems to me, keeping horses is kinda pointless unless you're a breeder or do trail rides or something.
This was your very first reply..you assumed ..you didn't ask..plus my thread has nothing to do with the business side..it was a birth announcement..I guess I should have written..we have a baby and we will sale it for 2500 bux and buy new truck tires..
oops now I forgot which pill to take..I think it was the red one..

..so don't tell me about shetland, hackney and whatever..you obiusly have not the slightest idea about horses..
Well obviously the person who put up this information doesn't have the slightest clue what they are talking about:

(from Wikipedia)
The American Shetland

The first Shetland ponies for which there are written records were imported to the United States in 1885 by Eli Elliot. These ponies provided the foundation stock for the development of the American Shetland, and were crossed with ponies of other breeds, including the Hackney pony, Welsh pony, and Harness Show Pony. The breeding of the ponies was mainly centered in Indiana, Illinois and Iowa.
In 1888, the American Shetland Pony Club was formed and now has two studbooks: Division A and Division B. Division A registers ponies with 12.5% or less outcross (non-Shetland) blood, and Division B is open to any pony with 12.5% or more outcross blood. Foundation Certification is also available for ponies from 4 generations of Division A breeding. As of 2009 A and B designations are no longer on Registrations. American Shetland Ponies are more refined than the traditional Shetland. They often have a long, thin, "hooky" neck, a more refined body, and longer legs. The breed tends to be long and narrow through the back, with broad and muscular hindquarters and high withers. The shoulder has good slope, allowing for extravagant action. These ponies are most often used for harness work and as children's ponies. They can be seen show jumping in classes for young riders, at horse shows in both Western and English riding classes, as well as many other competitive events, including gymkhana, novelty harness racing, and shown at halter, Costume.
The American Shetland Pony Club recognizes four types of Shetlands-Modern, Pleasure, Classic and Foundation. Modern Shetland are typically the tallest of the breed; they are shown with a high head set, ribbon braids in their manes, tail sets and have high stepping action. Pleasure ponies have similar breeding though their action is more subdued. Classic Shetlands are the most typical type and are known for their refinement and gentle nature while lacking most of the action of the Modern ponies. Finally, Foundation ponies do not have any Hackney influence for four generations and are all under 42" tall. Their looks are most reflective of their British ancestry.
However, the compact "classic" type of Shetland is still more prevalent in overall numbers in the USA, though such ponies are not always registered.

But obviously I can't possibly have a clue. Really. I mean I have spent most of my adult life working on trucks and now driving them.

Guess those years of my youth living on real farms are meaningless.

Guess the time I broke the neighbors Appaloosa (they said no one could ride him because he wouldn't let anyone put a halter on him) and then rode him all over with the other neighbors down the road don't count either.

Face it ironmamwife, I know more about animals (including horses) than you are willing to give me credit for. I know my way around farm animals, including horses, large and small. I have milked cows by hand, helped with insemination and birthing of those cows. I helped with slaughtering hogs and chickens, and the the butchering of the meat. And all that other stuff I wrote about in the other post. I lived on a real farm where we raised animals and crops for food, not ponies to show and tell.

Yeah, but obviously, I don't have a clue.