Truckers Health Wanna upset the cardiac rehab nurse?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
July 2015 I had a heart attack. One of the "blessings" of that experience, I have learned I have a predisposition for chest pain. Probably explains why I have never had a good run time when I was in the military.

I had two stent put in and a 3rd blockage they couldn't do anything with. The severity of it was such that it doesn't justify the risk of open heart by-pass. It's not life threatening and it's too small to put a stent into. I have come to call it my "bitter bastard".

It's enough to make things fun too when I have to go in and get my annual DOT physical as well as having my bi-annual stress test for my DOT physical.

One of the things the body can do is to grow a "collateral" around the blockage. But you have to "stress" the heart to want to do it. In my case, I am not big on having the sensation of having a heart attack. Because that's what it really feels like to make the heart work hard enough to do it. The other option for me is to just live with the fact and know it's there.

I got approval from the cardiologist to actual have 36 cardiac rehab sessions to try to force a collateral to grow. That means heavy exercise really.

My cardiac rehab nurse has instructed me to work hard enough to get my heart rate to between 100 and 128. But don't push it.

Wednesday, I pushed it hard. Got up to about 138 bpm for my heart rate for about 3 minutes.

NOT a good move. Even in a controlled environment. I wouldn't say she yelled at me. But she definitely let me know who is in a hot seat for while.

My point is......

don't throw your health away just because you're a truck driver. Because trying to be a driver with a medical condition like this sucks.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
July 2015 I had a heart attack. One of the "blessings" of that experience, I have learned I have a predisposition for chest pain. Probably explains why I have never had a good run time when I was in the military.

I had two stent put in and a 3rd blockage they couldn't do anything with. The severity of it was such that it doesn't justify the risk of open heart by-pass. It's not life threatening and it's too small to put a stent into. I have come to call it my "bitter bastard".

It's enough to make things fun too when I have to go in and get my annual DOT physical as well as having my bi-annual stress test for my DOT physical.

One of the things the body can do is to grow a "collateral" around the blockage. But you have to "stress" the heart to want to do it. In my case, I am not big on having the sensation of having a heart attack. Because that's what it really feels like to make the heart work hard enough to do it. The other option for me is to just live with the fact and know it's there.

I got approval from the cardiologist to actual have 36 cardiac rehab sessions to try to force a collateral to grow. That means heavy exercise really.

My cardiac rehab nurse has instructed me to work hard enough to get my heart rate to between 100 and 128. But don't push it.

Wednesday, I pushed it hard. Got up to about 138 bpm for my heart rate for about 3 minutes.

NOT a good move. Even in a controlled environment. I wouldn't say she yelled at me. But she definitely let me know who is in a hot seat for while.

My point is......

don't throw your health away just because you're a truck driver. Because trying to be a driver with a medical condition like this sucks.
You take er easy troop.