Visual brake stroke indicators question

Helpful in letting you know if your brakes are adjusted. Experience using them and what brand do you like? I'm looking to outfit tractors. Only found one brand that lets you check the adjustments on your service brakes. Most are for spring brakes. Thanks

I never check brake adjustment. Auto slack adjusters and regular maintenance lets me ignore them

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I have these I just bought for the guys. Had a person from the other forum who was leased to landstar actual mail me two sets of them. One sits in my tool box, the other sits on my desk. Seems they hand them out like candy.

Come in handy for the quarterly checks I do.

EZ 1

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Some guy always shows up around mats and the other truck shows pawning these off too.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
It's just as easy to eyeball the angle between the pushrod and slack adjuster. If it's over 90° you have issues.

I suppose on a truck where you can actually see the brakes can, these would be handy. On carhaulers, not so much.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
It's just as easy to eyeball the angle between the pushrod and slack adjuster. If it's over 90° you have issues.
That is the method I was taught, I am told it is no longer the way things are done. But, If they are beyond 90 with brakes set there is an issue.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That is the method I was taught, I am told it is no longer the way things are done. But, If they are beyond 90 with brakes set there is an issue.
It's based on brake stroke for the type of cylinder that's mounted on your truck. You can argue angle of whatever all day long, but it doesn't mean anything to an inspector.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
It's based on brake stroke for the type of cylinder that's mounted on your truck. You can argue angle of whatever all day long, but it doesn't mean anything to an inspector.
Yeah thanks, I get that. Hence I said it was no longer the way things are done and also when I learned, There was only one type of chamber.
You are a genius.:thumbsup:

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Do I have to point out that on a properly designed and built brake assembly that there is a direct correlation between stroke length and push rod- slack adjuster angle? 90° maximizes that force supplied by the chamber to the shoes, and every brake system is designed to take advantage of that.

A visual 90 check is sufficient for pre trip, but the inspectors have always used stroke length.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Do I have to point out that on a properly designed and built brake assembly that there is a direct correlation between stroke length and push rod- slack adjuster angle? 90° maximizes that force supplied by the chamber to the shoes, and every brake system is designed to take advantage of that.

A visual 90 check is sufficient for pre trip, but the inspectors have always used stroke length.

Some don't quite understand vector forces....