Upgrading GVW on truck?

Looking to buy my 1st truck, pulling low boy trailer for friends business as well as some others. These pulls will require permits (50-70K Lb. heavy equipment). Purchasing a 35 ton low boy with a loaded rating of 85,000. I no the ultimate truck would be a tri-axle, but the cost is out of my range right now. I need to have a truck with a GVW of 56-60K, 90% of used trucks have 12k front /40k rear axles on them (50-52K GVW). That only leaves me with about 32k load to work with on truck, I need to bump that to 40K.
Is it possible to upgrade the rear axles and suspension to 44-46k? Or just suspension, I am guessing axles would have to be matched to load limit even with heavier suspension. On a second note- would the brake system need to be upgraded?
I am looking at spending $20-25K on a used truck and what it would cost to upgrade to a heavier GVW. I cant find a descent tri axle truck for less than $50k minimum. Thanks for all your help, getting out of military and trying a new adventure!

Tazz

Infidel
One consideration in just adding axles and the like is strengthening the frame. I would give Rowe Equipment in Indianna a call. They do what you are asking and can give a ball park figure.

I will have to check on that, adding axle/bracing frame, Tazz. On the same note I like the idea of having a short wheelbase and maybe just upgrading axles to 46K. Whether I add 3rd axle or replace tandem for heavier units will I have any difficulties getting the truck re-registered to a higher than factory GVWR? I did not no if I would have to go through great paper work/inspections that would be a large hassle?

Depends on the frame too.

I'd just find a different truck.
Just much more money and harder to find for a Tri-axle, plus I am only looking for a truck with a 58-60k GVW. I don't need 80K+. I only need to haul a 35ton low boy. I have 2 trucks that I am looking at that are below 400k miles and less than $25k but only 52k GVW

Tazz

Infidel
I will have to check on that, adding axle/bracing frame, Tazz. On the same note I like the idea of having a short wheelbase and maybe just upgrading axles to 46K. Whether I add 3rd axle or replace tandem for heavier units will I have any difficulties getting the truck re-registered to a higher than factory GVWR? I did not no if I would have to go through great paper work/inspections that would be a large hassle?
You have to get a new rating from

A:The manufacturer

B: A certified shop

To get a new GVWR sticker. You can add/change axles and all but without changing that plate in the door you are not "officially" rated higher.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
It would ne safer and less expensive in the long run to get a truck designed for your needs than attempting to modify one designed for normal duty.

I recommend you keep looking, save more money and see if you can bump up your financing so you can get the right truck to begin with.

It would ne safer and less expensive in the long run to get a truck designed for your needs than attempting to modify one designed for normal duty.

I recommend you keep looking, save more money and see if you can bump up your financing so you can get the right truck to begin with.
I am starting to see that, and I agree. I just had several low mileage trucks I have been looking at in the 20-25K price range that I thought I could modify to meet these specs. Its hard to find a tri-axle for under 50K. But it may just be the best in the long run to go with a factory setup as all of you have brought up good advice! Thank you

You have to get a new rating from

A:The manufacturer

B: A certified shop

To get a new GVWR sticker. You can add/change axles and all but without changing that plate in the door you are not "officially" rated higher.
Yes, I don't want to take the chance on anything illegal. THX