Upgrade 29 lx?

8ball

Thread starter #1
Rookie to the cb world asks if it's worth upgrading the 29lx (mods or whatever).

Also... I don't know if I like the included mic... been hearing a bunch of good about the Ranger... thoughts?

GAnthony

Supporter
Rookie to the cb world asks if it's worth upgrading the 29lx (mods or whatever).

Also... I don't know if I like the included mic... been hearing a bunch of good about the Ranger... thoughts?
it's just a different style radio. i see where it has a weather radio as well (at least, what i looked up)

nearly same price as an ordinary 29 classic.

8ball

Thread starter #3
it's just a different style radio. i see where it has a weather radio as well (at least, what i looked up)

nearly same price as an ordinary 29 classic.
That is correct... so far I'm pleased with what I have but have noticed maybe 1 to 1.5 mile range with a Wilson 2000. I thought it should be further.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
That is correct... so far I'm pleased with what I have but have noticed maybe 1 to 1.5 mile range with a Wilson 2000. I thought it should be further.
Get your stuff tuned and you'll see better results.

it has a weather radio
That ever****ing thing scared the livin' crap outta me when I first got the Cobra 29 50th Anniversary Edition. It would spontaneously start blaring in the middle of the night, even when my radio was off. I was about ready to pitch the radio out the window after the third time being scared out of my bunk. I took it to the CB guy at that 49er truck stop by Sacramento. He clipped that fat grey wire inside the radio and permanently disabled the weather alert. Never had another problem with that radio. Until it burned, anyway.

8ball

Thread starter #5
Get your stuff tuned and you'll see better results.

That ever****ing thing scared the livin' crap outta me when I first got the Cobra 29 50th Anniversary Edition. It would spontaneously start blaring in the middle of the night, even when my radio was off. I was about ready to pitch the radio out the window after the third time being scared out of my bunk. I took it to the CB guy at that 49er truck stop by Sacramento. He clipped that fat grey wire inside the radio and permanently disabled the weather alert. Never had another problem with that radio. Until it burned, anyway.
Lol... been there! ***Wx scan disabled***

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
The duplex unit in freightliner disables that band for the WX channels. They won't even come in and that's why I have the Radio I do.

Looks like it's not made any more either.
Cobra 29 WX NW ST

GAnthony

Supporter
i got a very old, Radio Shack portable weather radio. it too has some sort of alert. i used to take that along with me, when after i had the displeasure of being in a tornado, along I-80 in Kansas, when i first started out.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I think that is the radio that I have ( I have many) the Cobra with weather band that will alert you when there is a weather warning. I got it when I started running the Midwest.

All the stock mics are pretty cheap. If you want a good mic get the Roadking 56. I have spent countless hours at various points contemplating buying one.
I could not justify the expense being as no one really uses the C.B. anymore. Except for that feller what has no panties on.:D