Truck Repair Turning up power on CAT 3406E and 3406B

wjhuskey

I've posted things related to this before but still enjoy hearing talk on the CAT 3406E engine and the 3406B. I'm still needing more advice on turning the power up on a 3406E. I personally own 3 Pete 379's with the B model Cats and 1 Pete with the E model. After owning the E model, I cling to the B models even more cause as we know, the E is computerized...and the B in 3406B obviously stands for Beast. My E model is the 435 hp engine. My first question that still hasn't been fully answered by other people I've asked is, what is the difference in this engine and all the others that are rated 475 hp? Obviously mine is stock 435 and theirs is stock 475 because the CAT shop told me I could only go to 450 hp without getting bigger turbo and injectors. So obviously there were 2 of these types of E model's released with different turbo and injectors? I'm looking at having the ECM turned up but don't want to only do that if that's not the only correct way to make it a true 475...if there are other parts on the engine that need to be replaced to make it the exact same engine as the stock 475, that's what I want to do too. I want to make it the exact same engine. I can get a run at a hill with a load (90,000 lbs), already downshifted one gear with rpm's high and it drops 14 mph at the top of the hill (fairly long hill that the B model's only drop 7 mph) Is that normal for the 435 hp E?

Second question is 2 of the B models don't pull as good as one of them does. It pulls better and I can hear the turbo kick in louder and better than the others. Since these engines aren't computerized, how do most people make them pull better? Turbos and injectors???

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
what is the difference in this engine and all the others that are rated 475 hp?
A computer tune. Over 475 is when you change hard parts.

how do most people make them pull better?
On a B you can play with the timing some. Also making adjustment to the injection pump. Once you’ve hit limits there because it’s IDI (has an injection pump. Your looking at having someone build you the pump you want. Then bigger turbo, bigger nozzles if you get the pump built that stout.

wjhuskey

A computer tune. Over 475 is when you change hard parts.

Ok thanks. That's what I will do then. So your saying I can go UP TO 475 with what I got? Only change parts if I want to go over 475???

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Yes. Unless you have some wierd experimental version of the 3406e but I don’t believe that to be the case.

I have a 2000 379 Pete with a 435hp c15 6nz engine and I had a ecm tune and installed a mikes power wire and put K&N air filters in it and I can run with any 550 cat on the road. If you are interested in a great tune for a amazing price I can highly recommend someone

What hp ratings do your mechanical cats have?
This is the easiest engine to turn up but the easiest to destroy if you don't drive it correctly. You can make significant gains by turning the rack screws out equally. You get about 20hp per turn. I added custom injectors for 1800 dollars and installed a Full Tilt 1.5 2300 dollars and had the pump re timed and I went form 19 lbs of boost to maxing out my boost gauge. It literally will go all the way around and hit the pin. Driving this set up take some disciplinet as this engine has no protections built into it.