New To Trucking Trucking jobs after CDL?

truckluke

Is it possible to land a monday to friday trucking job after cdl school? if so what companies?

quillcom

Is it possible to land a monday to friday trucking job after cdl school? if so what companies?
True story:

Me and my buddy who worked for a small mostly LTL trucking company were driving straight trucks.

We both talked at length about upgrading our license to drive semi. We had a trainer there who had just taught another straight truck driver from the ground up on one of our semi's. Afterwards that guy started driving for us full time in the semi and after a year jumped ship and landed an even better paying semi job.

So this inspired me and my buddy-coworker to upgrade ours. He said he wanted to do this right and decided to go to a cdl school. I said I'm not spending the $700 for an 8 week course so I let our trainer teach me.

Meanwhile both of us kept driving straight trucks. He would take his courses in the eve's and I would go out with our trainer on weekends.

I asked him how are things going he said great, and that he even talked to some recruiters that promised to give him a shot after finishing school.

Long story short, after completing school, sure enough he landed a great job with Averitt Trucking doing line-haul mon-fri and home every night, making more than I make.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
True story:

Me and my buddy who worked for a small mostly LTL trucking company were driving straight trucks.

We both talked at length about upgrading our license to drive semi. We had a trainer there who had just taught another straight truck driver from the ground up on one of our semi's. Afterwards that guy started driving for us full time in the semi and after a year jumped ship and landed an even better paying semi job.

So this inspired me and my buddy-coworker to upgrade ours. He said he wanted to do this right and decided to go to a cdl school. I said I'm not spending the $700 for an 8 week course so I let our trainer teach me.

Meanwhile both of us kept driving straight trucks. He would take his courses in the eve's and I would go out with our trainer on weekends.

I asked him how are things going he said great, and that he even talked to some recruiters that promised to give him a shot after finishing school.

Long story short, after completing school, sure enough he landed a great job with Averitt Trucking doing line-haul mon-fri and home every night, making more than I make.

CDL schools really can give you a leg up. I started driving 5 years ago and have yet to live in a truck other than my short curiosity stint with regional. It was 100% voluntary and when I had enough of it I simply started driving a day cab again. Never changed my official shift. Basically just worked longer days for several months. Still home most days, just used the sleeper when inconveniently out of hours.

truckluke

I like the school and the people there so i'll make connection there. two months ago I met with the counselor of the school and apparently her husband is one of the trainers there and she really like me she even went out of her way to introduce me to him. But its a public school system in florida so theres only 10 slots a month so my class starts in October. But your right its who you know. Hopefully I can luck out and find a good job after school. Thanks for the advice and replies guys.