Truckers rally nationwide against ELD mandate

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
Thread starter #1
From truck stops to statehouses around the nation, groups of truckers took to the streets to raise awareness with lawmakers and the general public about the negative impacts they foresee from an upcoming electronic logging device mandate.

More than 40 locations from California to New York were slated to have events as part of a nationwide “media blitz” to call attention to the plight of small business truckers and independent owner-operators, who say that electronic logs will add an estimated $2 billion in costs to the industry without providing any of the safety benefits touted by the mandate’s supporters.

full story

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
This is the first I heard about it. What does that say about their coverage?

Mike

Staff member
This is the first I heard about it. What does that say about their coverage?
Says you weren't watching the news in the locations these events were taking place. ;)

They did manage to get some news media coverage.

That said, I wouldn't have known about it had some nice member here not added me to the ELD or Me group this week :)

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
It's 12 days until the ELD or Me crowd packs up their marbles, and go home.

I passed by the Petro at Oak Grove MO, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary going on.

I think these folks are totally blowing their impact totally out of proportion to what it is. More like a "media whimper."

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Fox Business had an article about it. Seemed to be written from the opposition perspective but wasn't biased.

It said Trump has been asked to intervene and Trump said something non-committal but not dismissive.

Or something,... I'm not going to dig it back up to jog my memory of what some guy who's name I don't remember allegedly said that Trump told him.

dchawk81

Fox Business had an article about it. Seemed to be written from the opposition perspective but wasn't biased.

It said Trump has been asked to intervene and Trump said something non-committal but not dismissive.

Or something,... I'm not going to dig it back up to jog my memory of what some guy who's name I don't remember allegedly said that Trump told him.
In other words it could have been nothing like that. 😁

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
T-11 days. Doesn't sound like ELD procrastinators are going to be saved from their illegal running ways.

All an ELD does is enforces log compliance to the drive line rules.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Wrong.

It also costs a lot of money.
Being a company driver why do you care??

If all y'all hadn't been so completely flouting the law for all of these years we wouldn't be here, would we?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Being a company driver why do you care??
I care about small businesses.

Not big businesses.

If all y'all hadn't been so completely flouting the law for all of these years we wouldn't be here, would we?
Wrong. We're here because big government wants more power and control.

And you seem to enjoy having no freedom. Why else would you be a proponent of them?

dchawk81

Not big businesses.

And you seem to enjoy having no freedom. Why else would you be a proponent of them?
I'm a proponent because I'm clumsy with paper. I'd use a smartphone/tablet based log even if I didn't have to. I was playing with Bigroad when I was still in CDL school.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I'm a proponent because I'm clumsy with paper. I'd use a smartphone/tablet based log even if I didn't have to.
There's a difference between wanting to use them and wanting to use the power of Big Government to force them on everyone else.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter

Not big businesses.
Why would that matter? Big businesses didn't start out big. It's just an indicator of success.

We're here because the government got tired of dealing with flagrant abuse of the system on a penny-ante basis.

The ability to violate the law at will on a large scale basis is not freedom.

Proponent of ELDs? Hardly. I was quite happy with what we had before all y'all ****ed it up exercising your "freedom."

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Why would that matter? Big businesses didn't start out big. It's just an indicator of success.
When a baby reaches a certain age, it is customary to stop breast feeding it.
We're here because the government got tired of dealing with flagrant abuse of the system on a penny-ante basis.
Government got tired of people with common sense using it's ill-conceived "one size fits all" rules as a guideline instead of obeying them like sheep.

If there's anything government narcissists can't stand, it's sovereign citizens not bowing to their will and obeying their every command like lowly subjects.

The ability to violate the law at will on a large scale basis is not freedom.
The hell it isn't.

It's called free will.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
We sure didn't get here by drivers being satisfied with the wealth they could generate by driving within the law, and logging those legal hours in compliance with the law.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
We sure didn't get here by drivers being satisfied with the wealth they could generate by driving within the law, and logging those legal hours in compliance with the law.
You're right. We got here by citizens bending over and letting government do whatever it wants with no repercussions.

"outlaw" truckers is just the phony excuse they're using.

Every tyrant pretends to have a righteous reason for their tyranny when the truth is they're just evil.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You're right. We got here by citizens bending over and letting government do whatever it wants with no repercussions.

"outlaw" truckers is just the phony excuse they're using.

Every tyrant pretends to have a righteous reason for their tyranny when the truth is they're just evil.
And the citizens who feel their right to travel the public highways in safety are imperilled by a hoard of outlaw thugs bent on the selfish acquisition of wealth without regard to their rights?

Duck

Quack
Supporter
And the citizens who feel their right to travel the public highways in safety are imperilled by a hoard of outlaw thugs bent on the selfish acquisition of wealth without regard to their rights?
Our rights don't end where theirs begin.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Our rights don't end where theirs begin.
Oh yes they do. You need to start drinking decaf.