Truck GPS

cetsa

I just started hauling gasoline and I need to a good truck GPS that will not direct me on hazmat restricted roads. Does anybody have any recommendations? Is Rand McNally as good as this website claims it is: http://www.truckgpsreviews.com/rand-mcnally-tnd-730-review/

** Commie Express **
Supporter
My brand new TND is sitting under my bunk after using it for a week. Then went out and bought a Garmin Dezel

Mike

Staff member
I got the TND 530 (can't stand the oversize 7 inch monitors blinding me). Good routing for the most part. Sometimes it is better than my navigo in the truck, sometimes the navigo is better. Both are good for hazmat routing.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I still have my tnd 510. So long as they keep updating it for me, I'll likely never replace it

But it still doesn't let you, the driver, off the hook for doing your due diligence. It will get you in plenty of trouble.

Whatever you get, spend the money to ensure you get life time maps.

Mike

Staff member
Whatever you get, spend the money to ensure you get life time maps.
Part of the reason I upgraded to the 530.

That, and the power connection was giving me trouble. That connection has been upgraded with the new model, and it works 10 times faster than the older version.

Rand McNally's GPS will keep you off of any hazmat routes that they have notated on their trucker atlas. Still some surprises out there due to local laws.

DubbleD

Color Commentator
Garmin DEZL has routing options that include avoiding areas where hazmat is not allowed.

I'm a garmin fan. Period.

A lot of users think simply turning a GPS on and plugging in an address, they are experts.

Much like a smart phones capabilities....the GPS is a never ending lesson in learning the tool.

Show me someone who's an expert with a GPS and I'll find a dozen features they missed.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Show me someone who's an expert with a GPS and I'll find a dozen features they missed.
I would take a friendly challenge. I've beat the crap out of it and I'm pretty sure I know all there is to know about it.

DubbleD

Color Commentator
I would take a friendly challenge. I've beat the crap out of it and I'm pretty sure I know all there is to know about it.
It's a two way street!

I'm sure I still don't know all the hidden "touch" keys that bring the user to upper levels of managing the Garmin Dezl...
....could it be?

The Commie knows more than....ME?

Hennessey

I was an idiot that went out and bought the TND tablet. I like the screen and it had a lot of add on features that I'd be able to use one day when I get my own truck up and running. Not to mention it's magnetic to the base so it comes off easily. Bad thing about it is you have to buy a memory card for it. It will use up a lot of memory real quick. But when hooked up to wifi, its great for movies lol.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've had a TND510 for years, and its done very well.

The OP should be aware that he must make the routing decisions, and then determine whether the GPS routing is legal and safe. You can't just push in the handles, and let the little box do your thinking.

I got a Garmin Dezel last fall, and I've been using both. The Garmin has a great display. I don't rely on it for much. If you get off route, the Garmin product will try to lead you through places a big truck should never be. It warns of hazards that don't exist, its database has no information on many legal truck routes - even after updating.

In short, it is an inferior POS when stacked up against even an old Rand device.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I've had a TND510 for years, and its done very well.

The OP should be aware that he must make the routing decisions, and then determine whether the GPS routing is legal and safe. You can't just push in the handles, and let the little box do your thinking.

I got a Garmin Dezel last fall, and I've been using both. The Garmin has a great display. I don't rely on it for much. If you get off route, the Garmin product will try to lead you through places a big truck should never be. It warns of hazards that don't exist, its database has no information on many legal truck routes - even after updating.

In short, it is an inferior POS when stacked up against even an old Rand device.
i still got my rand 510. but hardly even set it up anymore. been doing my route for so long, don't really have a need. but i do check for updates monthly.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
i still got my rand 510. but hardly even set it up anymore. been doing my route for so long, don't really have a need. but i do check for updates monthly.
Yeah I use our Navigo for new places but once I know them I shut as many screens and gizmos off as possible.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Yeah I use our Navigo for new places but once I know them I shut as many screens and gizmos off as possible.
the bright glare from the GPS is (at times) annoying.i can of course dim it, but then it's still annoying if i am not really using it. as it is, i have the dash lights dimmed way down as well.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
the bright glare from the GPS is (at times) annoying.i can of course dim it, but then it's still annoying if i am not really using it. as it is, i have the dash lights dimmed way down as well.
Same. Some guys put duct tape over the Bendix screen too. It's bright as hell and won't dim.

I'm about to do the same.

Latest posts