Truck driver charged in deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash

dmerchound

Ironpony - I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that there should be engineering solutions put in place that mitigate the risk of having catastrophic outcomes like this. Whether they are guilty of a criminal offence or not is not my judgment to make. I'm saying that it's not cut and dry, and I'm saying that if the conditions were similar, any one of us may or may not be in the same circumstances and it wouldn't matter. That truck driver didn't wake up that day intending to kill anyone. That's not defending, it's pointing out the obvious for 99.999% of us who are not psychopaths. I'm saying that governments spend billions of dollars on bullsh@# when they should be improving infrastructure so that accidents like this don't happen. BTW, was the driver jailed? I do not think he was detained or jailed, but I may be wrong on that.

dc hawk - Hard to say without having the details, but here's some things to consider:

The bus had to be close enough that both drivers didn't have time to react... there were no brake drag marks. There are a few reasons for that. Assuming both drivers had full cognitive function at the time, and assuming the vehicle entering the path (for both drivers) was detected and an imminent collision was recognized: the drivers (both) 1.) had no time to react, 2.) maybe had no brakes, 3.) were unable to react, 4.) were distracted and did not react, or 5.) chose not to react.

It could be possible that they both did not see each other for various reasons: distraction, outside the field of view or environmental conditions at the time.

I think we can conclude the truck did not run the stop, even at a low rate of speed the mass of the B-train would have lengthened the debris field and the truck and bus would have rested much further down the road than where they were.

The bus was either 1.) un-detected, 2.) detected and an alternative response was anticipated or expected, or 3.) detected and there was driver error in that he chose to advance (we can rule out impairment due to substances because the driver was not detained at the scene).

This is why I mentioned above that the province should not be immune from investigation on this tragedy. For the type of road that this highway was there should have been some type of controlled access. This was not a question of "if" there was going to be an accident there, it was a question of "when was there going to be an accident". There's a thousand other intersections just like that on the prairies and people are taking crazy chances every day. There are relatively low cost engineering solutions that can prevent these tragedies from happening. That's my point on this whole discussion.

nan

Supporter
All this, of course, is why the truck driver has been jailed, and the carrier shut down. They were pure and innocent as the driven snow.
It's just my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got him on a speeding or log thing and used the he-shouldnt-have-been-there-in-the-first-place logic, as opposed to his handling of the intersection itself.

nan

Supporter
Ironpony - I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that there should be engineering solutions put in place that mitigate the risk of having catastrophic outcomes like this. Whether they are guilty of a criminal offence or not is not my judgment to make. I'm saying that it's not cut and dry, and I'm saying that if the conditions were similar, any one of us may or may not be in the same circumstances and it wouldn't matter. That truck driver didn't wake up that day intending to kill anyone. That's not defending, it's pointing out the obvious for 99.999% of us who are not psychopaths. I'm saying that governments spend billions of dollars on bullsh@# when they should be improving infrastructure so that accidents like this don't happen. BTW, was the driver jailed? I do not think he was detained or jailed, but I may be wrong on that.

dc hawk - Hard to say without having the details, but here's some things to consider:

The bus had to be close enough that both drivers didn't have time to react... there were no brake drag marks. There are a few reasons for that. Assuming both drivers had full cognitive function at the time, and assuming the vehicle entering the path (for both drivers) was detected and an imminent collision was recognized: the drivers (both) 1.) had no time to react, 2.) maybe had no brakes, 3.) were unable to react, 4.) were distracted and did not react, or 5.) chose not to react.

It could be possible that they both did not see each other for various reasons: distraction, outside the field of view or environmental conditions at the time.

I think we can conclude the truck did not run the stop, even at a low rate of speed the mass of the B-train would have lengthened the debris field and the truck and bus would have rested much further down the road than where they were.

The bus was either 1.) un-detected, 2.) detected and an alternative response was anticipated or expected, or 3.) detected and there was driver error in that he chose to advance (we can rule out impairment due to substances because the driver was not detained at the scene).

This is why I mentioned above that the province should not be immune from investigation on this tragedy. For the type of road that this highway was there should have been some type of controlled access. This was not a question of "if" there was going to be an accident there, it was a question of "when was there going to be an accident". There's a thousand other intersections just like that on the prairies and people are taking crazy chances every day. There are relatively low cost engineering solutions that can prevent these tragedies from happening. That's my point on this whole discussion.
Well the truck isn't gonna be able to react in any way that helps. Can't make it go faster, braking just changes the collision point.

ABS prevents a lot of the skid marks that you used to see all the time, and if anyone would be making them it would be the bus. The truck wouldn't have been going fast enough to make any if it was accelerating from a stop.

Conjecture on my part. Obviously. It'll all shake out in the end, especially if they have recorded data.

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
Ironpony - I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that there should be engineering solutions put in place that mitigate the risk of having catastrophic outcomes like this. .

the way to "engineer a solution", is to shut down these fly-by-night trucking companies that pop up all over the place, have poor safety records, get shut down by the government, and reopen sometimes IN THE SAME BUILDING, under a NEW NAME and NEW owner, perhaps a spouse, or son/daughter,or an "inlaw", and start thier crap all over again.

until such clandestine companies are fully eradicated, crashes like this most likely by inexperienced or incompetent drivers, will continue to happen....

MORE STRICT jail time, not this "time served or probation or suspended sentences" should EVER be allowed. instead of voluntary or involuntary manslaughter charges, maybe MURDER charges since the same person or persons have a terrible driving record, or the same company owner has been in catastrophic crashes in the past.

there you go.....the "engineered solution"......

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Do you suppose he's used brother's passport and taken off?
I don’t know if the driver was ordered to be present at the next court appearance. If he had legal council attend, in his place, he may still be in the country

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
he must have fled. prolly used a fake passport, or by some other means.
So by your accounting, this loser obtained a forged passport with faked entry and exit from country of origin endorsements (difficult and very expensive,) called from out of country, and lied to counsel - which if counsel in any way close to knowingly passed this fabrication off in court is risking disbarrment.

WOW!

James Bond has met his match! :eek-64:

Or... knowing they're going to lose the case, loser and counsel are just putting the inevitable off as long as possible?

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
So by your accounting, this loser obtained a forged passport with faked entry and exit from country of origin endorsements (difficult and very expensive,) called from out of country, and lied to counsel - which if counsel in any way close to knowingly passed this fabrication off in court is risking disbarrment.

WOW!

James Bond has met his match! :eek-64:

Or... knowing they're going to lose the case, loser and counsel are just putting the inevitable off as long as possible?
maybe so, or much like Austin Powers and Dr. Evil...yeah, that's right..Dr. Evil.....

there is no way to know for sure his passport was real at all.....

he could have had the Nigerians forge his first one...do YOU KNOW for sure..???

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
maybe so, or much like Austin Powers and Dr. Evil...yeah, that's right..Dr. Evil.....

there is no way to know for sure his passport was real at all.....

he could have had the Nigerians forge his first one...do YOU KNOW for sure..???
I'd say there was a 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% chance the guy had a fake passport. OTOH, I'd say most days there's a 99.99999999999999999999999999999% chance you're full of it.

:biggrin-2:

:rolllaugh:
:stirpot2: