Trucking News: Trio of bills would provide relief from ELD mandate

Mike

Staff member
Three bills have been introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives seeking to provide truckers relief from the electronic logging mandate.

Rep. Collin Peterson, R-Minn., on Tuesday, March 12 introduced HR1697, which would exempt small-business truckers from the ELD mandate, and HR1698, which would exempt certain agricultural haulers from the requirement. On March 11, Rep. Austin Scott, R-Ga., unveiled HR1673, which would clarify the definition of “agricultural commodity” as it relates to the ELD mandate and hours-of-service regulations.

The Small Carrier Electronic Logging Device Exemption Act would exempt businesses which operate 10 or fewer commercial trucks. The Agricultural Business Electronic Logging Device Exemption Act contends that transporting live animals and perishable products requires flexibility that the mandate does not allow. Both bills were co-sponsored by Rep. Greg Gianforte, R-Mont.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, if we keep creating exemptions we might as well not have a mandate. Except for Werner Swift and CRE cuz they make out with the ATA guys and deserve every piece of legislation the trucking nazis create.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I mean, if we keep creating exemptions we might as well not have a mandate. Except for Werner Swift and CRE cuz they make out with the ATA guys and deserve every piece of legislation the trucking nazis create.
It's just an excuse to go back to egregiously violating the law to further ones greed.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
I’m just saying the dumbass megas who are in bed with the ATA who push all the legislation deserve to have it, unmodified just the way they got it initially made.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I’m just saying the dumbass megas who are in bed with the ATA who push all the legislation deserve to have it, unmodified just the way they got it initially made.
You talk to anyone advocating this, and within 5 minutes you'll have them admitting to a desire to falsify their logs.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
You talk to anyone advocating this, and within 5 minutes you'll have them admitting to a desire to falsify their logs.
Hey I’ll continue to operate within the law as I always have. I’m not looking for that. I would like to see an HOS revision. But I can’t get on board with a lot of the ATA ideas like speed limiters on all trucks at 65.

The ATA is bad business.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
The Small Carrier Electronic Logging Device Exemption Act would exempt businesses which operate 10 or fewer commercial trucks. The Agricultural Business Electronic Logging Device Exemption Act contends that transporting live animals and perishable products requires flexibility that the mandate does not allow. Both bills were co-sponsored by Rep. Greg Gianforte, R-Mont.
So let's pass a bill that tacitly admits the HOS are broken but we'll deal with that by allowing certain carriers to cheat?

Did BSM write this bill?