New To Trucking Tricks of the Trade

Electric Chicken

Supporter
Yeah I was talking about for lighting. Nothing is better for reflecting light than white walls.

It doesn't seem to make sense though because that shiny **** reflects radiant heat better than a white surface. But not light. You'd think that being more like a mirror it would reflect more light but it doesn't.

:dunno:
It reflects it harder/harsher but not broader like white does.

-Photographer

IOW if you want to photograph someone in an edgy style with strong shadows you use a silver reflector/umbrella/light box (rock band). If you want it soft and "friendly" you use white (infant, girl in Ugg Boots).

Duck

Kleenex
Supporter
It reflects it harder/harsher but not broader like white does.

-Photographer

IOW if you want to photograph someone in an edgy style with strong shadows you use a silver reflector/umbrella/light box (rock band). If you want it soft and "friendly" you use white (infant, girl in Ugg Boots).
If you want to be able to find the stupid ****ing little screw that ****ing fell down underneath the **** sucking piece of **** f***ing metric pile of **** you're working on, white walls are better for scattering light. :thumbsup:

Electric Chicken

Supporter
If you want to be able to find the stupid ****ing little screw that ****ing fell down underneath the **** sucking piece of **** f***ing metric pile of **** you're working on, white walls are better for scattering light. :thumbsup:
For me it's always the 10mm socket.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Yeah I was talking about for lighting. Nothing is better for reflecting light than white walls.

It doesn't seem to make sense though because that shiny **** reflects radiant heat better than a white surface. But not light. You'd think that being more like a mirror it would reflect more light but it doesn't.

:dunno:
Infrared... more than the visible spectrum.

A dark surface absorbs more heat than a white surface will. So a white cab doesn't heat up as quickly in the summer.

Fins

Before I'm allowed to go out onto the ramp at some Military installations, I have to remove the debris from each tire so that the turbines won't suck up one of those little pebbles in the vortex.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Before I'm allowed to go out onto the ramp at some Military installations, I have to remove the debris from each tire so that the turbines won't suck up one of those little pebbles in the vortex.
Those little pebbles (and all the other junk that might be found) are called FOD. Foreign Object Damage. I spent many hours picking crap up off the flightline while I was in the military. Just one little pebble can cause enough damage to require an engine change - a tremendous waste of time, money and removes an aircraft from operational status.

I still find myself walking along, and scanning the ground for "FOD."

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Those little pebbles (and all the other junk that might be found) are called FOD. Foreign Object Damage. I spent many hours picking crap up off the flightline while I was in the military. Just one little pebble can cause enough damage to require an engine change - a tremendous waste of time, money and removes an aircraft from operational status.

I still find myself walking along, and scanning the ground for "FOD."
YUP! We would have to do a FOD walk prior to an aircraft arriving at the gate even at the civi airport.

Fins

No matter what it is, if it has any chance of getting on the ramp, pick it up and dispose of it properly. It's not only right, it's your job!

Duck

Kleenex
Supporter
Makes me wonder how Boeing got away with hanging the engines two inches off the ground on the 727

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Makes me wonder how Boeing got away with hanging the engines two inches off the ground on the 727
I think you are thinking of the 737 they are low to the ground.
The 727 had 3 engines on the tail. One on each side of the tail and one in the center that ran through the tail. 7271576109302441.png

Last edited: