Thread Prefixes - Cleaning up the trolling and grabass

Mike

Staff member
I totally get wanting to have a good time, and want everyone to enjoy themselves here at the forum. Problem is, we have been stuck for too long at a point where a few have a good time, at the expense of the majority of those who visit not wanting to contribute anything of substance.

I have mentioned, on more than one occasion, that we would be taking the trolling and off topic stuff more seriously in areas where the topics need to be kept on track. For the most part, this has been respected. In many cases, partly due to an inability to easily distinguish with threads need more focus on staying on topic (due to the unread posts feature grouping everything together), we get threads that should remain focused being quickly drawn off topic by jokes, or by people who have no legitimate interest in the purpose of the specific forum the thread came from.

Starting today, I am beginning to add "thread prefixes" for various forums. These thread prefixes will be automatically added to a new thread in those specific forums, and will be easily visible in the "unread posts" page. If a thread has one of these prefixes, really good chance that there will be little tolerance on trolling and unproductive comments.

We need to be able to discuss many topics related to the trucking industry. We can't do that, when each and every thread gets littered with trolling, constant jokes, or comments by people who aren't even interested in the topic of the forum the thread came from.

We have an entire category of off topic forums, including a catch all "layover tavern" for you to go bananas in. Use it. Have a blast in there, but save the discussion in the rest of the forum for a bit more serious content.

Mike

Staff member
I've gotten several thread prefixes created, still a few more to go. I won't be updating all thread, but for now I am trying to at least get all the ones on the first page of a forum updated. Additional threads that get replies can have the prefix updated by a moderator when seen.

dchawk81

We typically gives those out temporarily. They last anywhere from a day to a couple weeks, depending on the level of grabassassness
So what you're saying is I need to squeeze harder.