Thinking of making a change

Nomad1

My wife and I are in our early 40's. All of the kids will be gone soon and we are thinking of leaving our regular jobs and going OTR. We get along great. Both of our families have been in trucking. We are thinking of buying our own truck in a few years. Possibly one with an ARI sleeper. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Skateboard puller

Buy pre-‘99, run paper, don’t get caught by the Man, buy an atlas and learn to read it well

Oh and open deck is where the cool kids are
:D

Welcome to the forum’

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
My wife and I are in our early 40's. All of the kids will be gone soon and we are thinking of leaving our regular jobs and going OTR. We get along great. Both of our families have been in trucking. We are thinking of buying our own truck in a few years. Possibly one with an ARI sleeper. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Well, try it it out in a company truck before commiting to a truck payment of your own.
Team driving is tough even for the closest of people.

Nomad1

Buy pre-‘99, run paper, don’t get caught by the Man, buy an atlas and learn to read it well

Oh and open deck is where the cool kids are
:D

Welcome to the forum’
I have to admit I've always loved the idea of pulling the big dozers and things. It looks cool

Nomad1

Well, try it it out in a company truck before commiting to a truck payment of your own.
Team driving is tough even for the closest of people.
We will definitely start in a company truck. At least a year or two with a company. My parents went out as a team with US Express and a few other companies when I got out of high school. They loved it at times and hated it at times.

Mike

Staff member
nothing wrong with that plan at all. Get out here, get some experience. Before you get that big sleeper, though, find a place to lease it to, or a niche where that long wheelbase won't become a nightmare.

Nomad1

nothing wrong with that plan at all. Get out here, get some experience. Before you get that big sleeper, though, find a place to lease it to, or a niche where that long wheelbase won't become a nightmare.
Thanks. I hope to find some people on here to give advice on the big sleeper trucks. Also some advice on companies to start out with.

InTooDeep

Wife and I shared the condo cascadia for awhile we got along great. It's great to have company. Although we had a lot of practice we traveled in our motor home for a couple of years first.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
What kind of business management training have you got? Being an O/O is only about 15% driving.

Nomad1

The wife has a degree or two in business management. But what is much more important than bought pieces of paper saying she knows how to manage a business is that we both have experience in business management. I know trucking is different than managing other businesses. Actually that's true with all businesses. I recently found Kevin Rutherford on the satellite radio. I'm curious about his programs and will look into it more. My father in law is an O/O and I know several others well.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
The wife has a degree or two in business management. But what is much more important than bought pieces of paper saying she knows how to manage a business is that we both have experience in business management. I know trucking is different than managing other businesses. Actually that's true with all businesses. I recently found Kevin Rutherford on the satellite radio. I'm curious about his programs and will look into it more. My father in law is an O/O and I know several others well.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. One guy I worked for had a grade 8 education and ran a slip seat fleet of 13 trucks that ran almost 24/7 with big contracts, some government.
The other guy I worked for had a grade 9 education and has a fleet of 100 chromed out trucks that turn an average of 3,000 miles.

College boys just think they are special because they need more education than others.:D

Nomad1

:thumbsup: I tend to agree. I have an uncle with a junior high education that has been Vice President of major US corporations. I have a brother in law with a 10th grade education that is some big shot in the customer service world. He has companies try to recruit him constantly. He travels the world with work and makes a lot more that the average American family.

dchawk81

I wouldn't sweat it too much. One guy I worked for had a grade 8 education and ran a slip seat fleet of 13 trucks that ran almost 24/7 with big contracts, some government.
The other guy I worked for had a grade 9 education and has a fleet of 100 chromed out trucks that turn an average of 3,000 miles.

College boys just think they are special because they need more education than others.:D
Yeah some people just like to make things seem more complicated than they are.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter

You're the idjit that brought up college.

I just said business management training. I don't care how you get it

Being an owner operator is nothing like being a driver. There's an entirely different thought process.

Having a driver's mentality is why so many can't make it.

Only point I was trying to make.

Some have a knack for being an entrepreneur. Others don't.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
You're the idjit that brought up college.

I just said business management training. I don't care how you get it

Being an owner operator is nothing like being a driver. There's an entirely different thought process.

Having a driver's mentality is why so many can't make it.

Only point I was trying to make.

Some have a knack for being an entrepreneur. Others don't.
Name calling. Did you learn that in business management training?

Latest posts