The Updated HOS Personal Conveyance Guidance - Setting Truckers Up For Big Trouble

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I pull campers out of Indiana. I live in Arkansas. I typically make runs to Texas because it gets me home often and fuel is cheaper down here. I drive a regular old Chevy pickup truck. When I leave home headed back to Indiana I'm not under dispatch. I typically don't get my next load dispatched until I get back to Goshen. I've always logged that time but the way this reads it doesn't sound like I have to. Now mind you I don't drive up there pick up a load and then hit the road somewhere. I'll usually drive up on a Sunday and grab a hotel and then get up Monday morning and go get a load. The way this reads it sounds like to me I wouldn't have to log it as on duty and have it count against my 70 hours. Am I wrong?
You would be wrong.

You KNOW you are going to be getting a load. And that your trip is for that purpose.

What really burns my butt about the entire Commercial Driving world is you never know what you're going to get. By following their recommendations to the letter legally you should be fine but you never know if you're going to get a guy who's going to follow the letter of the law or the spirit of the law in which it was written. It's the spirit of the law officers and judges that keep us all-in limbo wondering about what's going on. If everyone would stick to the letter of the law all this would make so much more sense. And if you had lawmakers with any common sense that could write decent legislation rainbows would shoot out of all of our nipples.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Qur industry did it to ourselves. Driver's insisting that they can do a west coast turn around with candy and do it safely. Driver's feeling they know better than anyone else when they are tired when they are so exhausted, they are oblivious to the things they pass on the road.

So then people step in and police us when we wouldn't police ourselves.

Yeah, it's so much the fault of "the man" trying to keep us down.

I wasn't trying to imply was the man trying to keep us down. More of a bit of commentary of the man don't know what he's doing. I used to be on the other side. And I always tried to stick to the letter of the law with some common sense sprinkled in. Just because a law has been broken doesn't mean:
1. There was any malicious intent.
2. That it was on purpose.
3. There has to be a ticket written.

Just about any car on the road if you follow them long enough there's going to be some kind of violation you could write a ticket for. The same with us if you look hard enough you're going to find something that's wrong. But is writing that ticket really going to help anything? By writing that ticket is it going to make the road safer? It's the one who nitpick that are the problem. I'm running down the road wire sticking out of my tires that I probably need a ticket. If you see me back up at the gas pump and notice I have one reverse light out and you write me a ticket then you're just an idiot.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I pull campers out of Indiana. I live in Arkansas. I typically make runs to Texas because it gets me home often and fuel is cheaper down here. I drive a regular old Chevy pickup truck. When I leave home headed back to Indiana I'm not under dispatch. I typically don't get my next load dispatched until I get back to Goshen. I've always logged that time but the way this reads it doesn't sound like I have to. Now mind you I don't drive up there pick up a load and then hit the road somewhere. I'll usually drive up on a Sunday and grab a hotel and then get up Monday morning and go get a load. The way this reads it sounds like to me I wouldn't have to log it as on duty and have it count against my 70 hours. Am I wrong?
Yes, you're wrong. Even though you're not under load, you are repositioning your equipment for a business purpose. That must be logged on-duty.

Latest posts