The lease purchase program

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
You can get gliders in various stages.
  1. Cab and body parts only.
  2. Rolling chassis, no engine, trans or rears
  3. Complete truck.
The biggie with #3 is that two of three major driveline items, engine, trans or differentials must be sourced from an existing truck. And you need to provide a title to prove it. Who provides them is irrelevant. Either you can or the assembler.

Harrison and Fitzgerald are the two big companies that do this with full on marketing efforts.

Glider Kits by Freightliner | Harrison Truck Center

Mike

Staff member
mike, (and others), please explain to an old dog...

i once "knew" glider kits to be that they sent you the truck (kit) but you had to supply ALL the running gear, as you already had that, you just wanted a new body/frame.

is it (today) that you can get a truck built from the glider company, and THEY supply ALL the running gear now.>???...is it NEW or USED running gear..????

being a company driver now for 30+ years, i really have had no real need to keep up with the "glider kit" story.

thanks to all that respond....
A company like Fitzgerald orders the truck with no engine or transmission, just rear axles. From there, they install a reman engine and transmission.

At Fitzgerald, you have the option of a Series 60 Detroit that is a factory reman, or they also build them in house (upgraded from a stock engine). In certain truck models, you can also get the Cummins N14 now, and they also have some scenario where you can get these trucks with the 6nz.

Thanks Ganthony! So far, your advice has been the consensus of every response so far, so he has decided to hold off a little longer and purchase on his own. Thank you so much for remaining professional and giving sound advice. I really appreciate it.

Neither of you guys are answering her question.

Ms. @Truckerswife

I don't know how Crete's leasing program works. I have leased twice. The first time, I leased at Prime. I had less than optimal results. The second time, I leased at Swift.

With either of these companies, it was either a lease or a purchase, not both. I completed my lease with Swift and opted to enter the purchase contract, which is exclusive of the original lease. I will be getting title to my truck in May.

Without knowledge of Crete's program, I can't answer specific questions about it, nor give any opinion as to likelihood of success. All I can say is Swift's program has worked well for me.
Congratulations! It's always good to hear a success story. Crete is actually a great company. my husband has been with them now for going on 2yrs and he does well as a company driver. But he has decided to just wait and purchase a truck on his own. I appreciate your comment, thank you for responding. Best of luck to you!

I never said your husband was an idiot. but your screen name looks new so i was just thinking that your a new member:thumbsup: is all and you never said how long that your husband has been driving in your original post so how are we supposed to know if he's a noob right out of school or if he's been driving for a while we just want to give you the best advice possible:thumbsup:. who would jump right into doing a lease with no exp:confused-96: youd'e be surprised but then again if you heard all of them stories before then maybe not. we hear it everyday then they fail nothings there fault the companies all to blame the company held a gun to there heads forcing em to sign the contract..
has your husband asked about leasing on to crete and running under there authority with his own truck:confused-96: that might be an option to. then if it don't work out then he can move on..
If I misinterpreted your response then I would like to apologize. Yes, I actually am new to this community (I found it in a Google search) lol. And I also thought I had told you how long he had been driving in a previous comment, but I could be mistaken about that as well. But he's been driving for almost 4yrs, so not a newbie straight outta school. You are correct with your comments in reference to those who jump into a lease clueless about how things actually work. That's the worst decision anyone could make and I feel sorry for those who have to learn the hard way. Yes, that is an option that Crete has. And don't get me wrong, as i stated before, Crete is a great company, and my husband does well as a company driver. But based on what he has seen before (the things you mentioned) plus signing a lease he will be stuck in, he has decided to stick to his first plan which is what you and several others have suggested which is to buy on his own. I haven't heard anything negative about Crete's purchase program, but its still a contract that we just don't feel we should enter. I really do appreciate your response, I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
You can get gliders in various stages.
  1. Cab and body parts only.
  2. Rolling chassis, no engine, trans or rears
  3. Complete truck.
The biggie with #3 is that two of three major driveline items, engine, trans or differentials must be sourced from an existing truck. And you need to provide a title to prove it. Who provides them is irrelevant. Either you can or the assembler.

Harrison and Fitzgerald are the two big companies that do this with full on marketing efforts.

Glider Kits by Freightliner | Harrison Truck Center
ok, you see, when i would see "glider kits" being delivered to a company near me, i would only see the frame and cab...nothing else, as the trucking company had all the other parts. this is why i had asked, and so as far as i can see now, a glider company can now do it all...then ship it.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Yes.

I could have a glider delivered to me from Harrison or Fitz complete turnkey ready to roll.

Order what you see delivered to my body shop / mechanic and have them do the work.

Or a combination..

With my 2007, kind of like @Blood's money pit, I'll never have as much invested into my truck as a new glider even.

Even rebuilding the engine, trans and differentials. That includes doing brakes and suspension work as well.

Even with an engine, I'm still coming ahead almost $60,000 over list price. Add interest, I come out ahead about $75-80,000 over the life of the financing etc for a new glider.

Last edited:

krelithous

Supporter
If I misinterpreted your response then I would like to apologize. Yes, I actually am new to this community (I found it in a Google search) lol. And I also thought I had told you how long he had been driving in a previous comment, but I could be mistaken about that as well. But he's been driving for almost 4yrs, so not a newbie straight outta school. You are correct with your comments in reference to those who jump into a lease clueless about how things actually work. That's the worst decision anyone could make and I feel sorry for those who have to learn the hard way. Yes, that is an option that Crete has. And don't get me wrong, as i stated before, Crete is a great company, and my husband does well as a company driver. But based on what he has seen before (the things you mentioned) plus signing a lease he will be stuck in, he has decided to stick to his first plan which is what you and several others have suggested which is to buy on his own. I haven't heard anything negative about Crete's purchase program, but its still a contract that we just don't feel we should enter. I really do appreciate your response, I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot.
no apology needed sometimes thing online can get misunderstood. were happy to have you here with us on this forum the more we have that marrier:thumbsup:. nope you didn't mention how long your husband has been driving for that's why I asked we want to see him succeed and not fail and regret making a wrong decision since we get a lot of noobs that have dollar signs painted in there heads from these companies. and they have NO clue what there getting into and I mean NO clue. they have no idea to bring the contract to a lawyer or an accountant to see WHO it benefits them or the company then they come back on here crying and whining that they lost everything including there asses :eek:. yep if he signs a lease purchase with crete or most any company that offers a lease purchase he will be married to that company until the trucks paid off if they let him make it that far!! most lease purchase deals are geared towards the company's benefit and not the drivers benefit!! as mike did a write up on the schneider choice deal for leasing they seem to controlling in my book as I don't need anyone telling me when to change my tires:stare1: I think that I am perfectly capable of knowing when to do maintance. I would still rather have my own truck in case things don't work out then he can move on and he is not stuck with one company!! I remember when I got started in real estate I hated it I couldn't stand it. I hated working with a broker for my first year and I didn't even stay the whole year with the broker I learned what I needed to know and moved on. the one thing I hated the most was splitting the commission as I wanted the highest split:rolleyes:. that and I like having the control over what I pay for and what I want and I decide what training that I need not someone else!! I never did like low commission splits on what someone says they will teach me:stare1:!! I never did like broker rules outside of realtor rules and state laws:confused:. I could go on with a list of things that I don't like:D:rolleyes:. but when it all comes down to it I had to learn the business and I did. another thing about trucking is that all of the noobs think there gonna become millionaires that won't happen but they can make good money if they have a niche and put there minds to it and all of that takes time. funny thing is most agents even in real estate come from normal jobs and have NOO clue how to run a business even if you give them clients they still have NOO clue on how to run a business:confused:. LMAO now you got me going on the subject of noobs LOL

Last edited:

klcars

Haven't found any company lp programs that you can buy a truck at a reasonable price. Most are designed to fail

Bored Insane

I'm looking at them too and would like to see a 'terms and conditions' page. Swift has example contract for LP program, but it seems details are not listed.

krelithous

Supporter
ok i know the OP is not a newbie in this industry. but what i don't get is why all of the noobs right out of school want to run out and buy themselves a depreciating asset vs an appreciating asset:headscratch2::confused2::dunno:. **** go buy a house learn the bussiness then go buy your mobile home